Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 28 2013, 12:46 AM   #46
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Timby wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Right, but if they're going to cut him anyway, then they'd presumably be willing to do a trade for virtually nothing. So if there's more than one team interested in him, then one of those teams can simply offer SF some very low draft pick to take him off their hands, and scoop him up before he hits the open market. OTOH, if only one team wants him, then that doesn't work. They're better off waiting SF out.
Well, that's the other reason that no one's trading for Smith -- no one wants to give up even low-end assets to take on that contract, which is pretty heavily backloaded. It just isn't going to happen.
Ummmm.....
Old February 28 2013, 01:08 AM   #47
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Timby wrote: View Post
Right, but if they're going to cut him anyway, then they'd presumably be willing to do a trade for virtually nothing. So if there's more than one team interested in him, then one of those teams can simply offer SF some very low draft pick to take him off their hands, and scoop him up before he hits the open market. OTOH, if only one team wants him, then that doesn't work. They're better off waiting SF out.
Well, that's the other reason that no one's trading for Smith -- no one wants to give up even low-end assets to take on that contract, which is pretty heavily backloaded. It just isn't going to happen.
Ummmm.....
See my above post. The Chiefs went full retard, holy hell.

A second round pick at #34 is a fucking ridiculous amount to pay for a guy that was going to be released: His contract was way too high to be riding the bench. A third-round pick (which at #63 overall is technically a bottom 2nd) should have more than sufficed. To throw in a future pick next year as well? That's fucking lunacy considering the complete lack of leverage that San Francisco had.
Old March 2 2013, 03:06 AM   #48
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Somebody just got done negotiating what is reported to be a 6-year, $120M contract. Any guesses on who that was? Anybody?

Joe Flacco. Oh good lord. Don't get me wrong, the guy's not a bad QB by any means.... but he ain't a $120M QB either. Oh, Baltimore. No wonder why the GM said they wouldn't be paying out the ass to keep this year's team together- they don't have any money left to bring the rest of them back!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 2 2013, 03:49 AM   #49
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Somebody just got done negotiating what is reported to be a 6-year, $120M contract. Any guesses on who that was? Anybody?

Joe Flacco. Oh good lord. Don't get me wrong, the guy's not a bad QB by any means.... but he ain't a $120M QB either. Oh, Baltimore. No wonder why the GM said they wouldn't be paying out the ass to keep this year's team together- they don't have any money left to bring the rest of them back!
Flacco was overpaid, sure, but he took a risk cutting off contract talks before the season, won the Super Bowl (and was the MVP), was a dropped pass and missed field goal from going last year on top of that, and honestly, someone would pay him for that. The Ravens absolutely could not lose him under any circumstance. What other option did they have? Flacco and his agent took a big gamble, and it paid off.

Also, this deal means that Aaron Rodgers is going to own part of Lambeau Field when his extension gets worked out.
Old March 3 2013, 02:48 PM   #50
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

My thoughts on Flacco...

Old March 3 2013, 06:51 PM   #51
tighr
Commodore

Haha yeah I read that. There's actually about ten more pages of that, and it ends with Flacco not really being elite after all.
Old March 3 2013, 09:10 PM   #52
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I agree that it's an overpay for Flacco, but I say again, they've made the playoffs every year he's been on the team, he just had a lights-out postseason and was the Super Bowl MVP. What should the Ravens have done, let him walk and trade for Alex Smith / draw on the deep pool of quarterbacks in free agehahahahaha I can't finish that sentence with a straight face.
Old March 3 2013, 09:46 PM   #53
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Given the QB market and the fact that other good QBs are getting extensions right now, it's hard to do anything but overpay for Flacco. It's not like the Ravens have an alternative option.
Old March 3 2013, 09:50 PM   #54
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Given the QB market and the fact that other good QBs are getting extensions right now, it's hard to do anything but overpay for Flacco. It's not like the Ravens have an alternative option.
Exactly. This deal is basically what at least 15 other teams would have given him on the market, and the Ravens sure as shit don't want to go through another decade of sifting through garbage to find a franchise quarterback. He's a good-to-great quarterback, so if they need to pay him market value, so be it.

The Ravens are a well-run franchise and they have very little deadweight on their books:

Marshall Yanda: Signed until 2015, $7 million cap
Lardarius Webb: Signed until 2017, $9 Million cap option years in 2013 and 2016
Terrell Suggs: Signed until 2014, $7 million cap
Ray Rice: Signed until 2017, $8 million cap Option bonus due this year.
Michael Oher: Signed until 2014, $5 million cap
Haloti Ngata: Signed until 2016, $13.5 million cap in 2014-15, $9 million in 2013
Jameel McClain: Signed until 2015, $4 million cap
Vonta Leach: Signed until 2014, $4 million cap
Sam Koch: Signed until 2016, $2 million cap
Jacoby Jones: Signed until 2014, $4 million cap
Anquan Boldin: Signed until 2014, $9 million cap

Total in 2013: $72.5 million
Total in 2014: $43.5 million
Total in 2015: $32.5 million
They can afford the Flacco contract. And let's be realistic, also; he'll restructure three or four years from now.
Old March 12 2013, 02:11 AM   #55
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Harvin and Boldin join the NFC West.

Damn!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 12 2013, 02:57 AM   #56
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Boldin, no.

How the hell did Newsome only manage to get a sixth-round pick for the guy who bailed the Ravens out so many times? Ugh. But ... I suppose it makes sense. A young offensive line with very much to be optimistic about is many times more important than a 33-year-old slot receiver. Boldin probably has a great year of production left, but I'd rather see Flacco able to stand upright during the season like he did in the playoffs, and sling throws to Pitta and Torrey.
Old March 12 2013, 03:33 AM   #57
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Yeah, it's tough to know with a receiver that age. Still, he is so big and strong....

I'm thinking more selfishly. Harvin and Boldin enter our division, Amendola is looking like an Eagle (or maybe a Raven?), Gibson is definitely gone...Bradford needs some serious help. Our three receivers after that are Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis.

That's not going to cut it.

Take Steven Jackson out of the offense, and the Rams are going to need several offensive miracles.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 12 2013, 03:48 AM   #58
chrisspringob
Commodore

More QB carousel rumors: The Cleveland Browns are supposedly interested in arranging a trade with New England for Ryan Mallett, but Belichick might not be willing to part with him unless the Browns pay a high price:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ets_for_c.html

Of course, if New England does trade away Mallett, then they'll have an opening for backup quarterback, which could pave the way for a Tim Tebow - Josh McDaniels reunion.
Old March 12 2013, 07:10 PM   #59
tighr
Commodore

Is this real life?

http://deadspin.com/pranksters-recor...y-ov-452366184

I don't even understand how something like this happens. The only way this is possible is that these guys are older and not tech-savvy and don't understand how calls are routed/connected. Especially when one of them says he's been calling all day, and suddenly gets through on that same number, but the other says it must have been a wrong number.

In any event, there's some solid information on Fitzpatrick there. He's going to have to restructure because he's not putting up his fair share of numbers. Two seasons ago he started out like a firecracker and got his deal, but 8 games left (plus all of last season) he was pedestrian. You gotta imagine the same conversation is going on in New York behind closed doors about Sanchez.
Old March 12 2013, 07:18 PM   #60
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I've got this feeling the NFC West might be the best division in Football next year. Seattle goes after Harvin, and then in almost a response, 49ers go after Boldin. That was a great trade too, as the 49ers have plenty of draft picks (And will be adding a second rounder with the Smith trade) and they pick up a wide reciever threat, while not really in his prime, can still contribute. I just with the 49ers would go after Revis, but now that just doesn't seem likely. That's a little unfortunate.

sjsharksfan39
Closed Thread