Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 2 2013, 03:27 AM   #1
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

Homeward

I find the invocation of the prime directive in this episode DISGUSTING.

And this comes from someone who likes Dear doctor.

In dear doctor, they refuse to cure a disease, afflicting one sapient race, so another sapient race on the planet can come into its own.

If worfs Foster Brother handt have interfered in this episode... A sentient race would have died out to achieve ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

At least letting people fight their own wars can help give them a history, a culture...

Letting The people overthrow a dictator and establish a democracy, gives tehm a since of accomplishment, a pride to pass on to their heirs.

But this whats it accomplish other then communicate an abstract?
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: Homeward

It's a pretty dumb premise for an episode, One would think that the underlying principles of any intergalactic governing body would be to at least preserve, if not fully aid the existence of intelligent life

Is sentient life so abundant that you are just willing to let it perish? That's not only damn heartless, it's also incredibly shortsighted, & contradicts what we know of modern Human behavior, which is to aid a species close to extinction
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
The Librarian
Commodore

Really, a lot about the episode could have been saved if it had been changed from Nikolai wanting to save some of the people versus everyone else wanting to leave them all to die, to Nikolai wanting his particular group of friends saved versus everyone else considering some other option (based on genetic variety, cultural ability to adapt, whatever). Realistically the Enterprise could have saved only a handful of people from the planet anyways and you still could have tried to keep the minimal-intervention mission using the holodeck (or better yet multiple holodecks linked together) so that the basic story remains.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

Another curious question.. ideas on how the community evolved, since presumably they eventualy split into multiple tribes...
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

I can't watch this without seeing Paulie from Goodfella's as Worf's brother. Only good thing about this episode.
Old March 2 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
sonak
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
It's a pretty dumb premise for an episode, One would think that the underlying principles of any intergalactic governing body would be to at least preserve, if not fully aid the existence of intelligent life

Is sentient life so abundant that you are just willing to let it perish? That's not only damn heartless, it's also incredibly shortsighted, & contradicts what we know of modern Human behavior, which is to aid a species close to extinction

it also contradicts the TOS Prime Directive, as seen in "the paradise syndrome."
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Badly written episode, which was a big problem with many episodes in season seven.

It's inconsistent with the Picard from "Pen Pals" and the one that broke the PD nine times if it meant doing the right thing.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

I was a big fan of TNG first time around. Occasionally, I get the urge to re-watch the entire series (an endeavor for which I, realistically, do not have the time). I dissuade myself by remembering that doing so would eventually bring me back to this episode.
Old March 7 2013, 12:48 AM   #9
black_dranzer
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to black_dranzer

Whenever I see this episode now, I always flash back to Donna from Doctor Who begging the Doctor to just save *someone*, even if he can't save an entire town.
Old March 7 2013, 03:34 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Death is better than change? Couldn't believe the bullshit this episode was pitching.
Old March 7 2013, 05:26 AM   #11
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Death is better than change? Couldn't believe the bullshit this episode was pitching.
It was Season 7, what did fans expect?
Old March 7 2013, 06:33 AM   #12
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Awful episode, but par for the course in season 7. After all, it's the same season that shoves a "warp drive is bad for the environment" message down our throats only to realize it was a stupid idea, and then ignore it faster than Voyager's Threshold.

Another good example is how Insurrection completely contradicts the message in Journey's End.

I bet if Trek was still on TV today, there would have been a preachy episode drawing a comparison between replicator food and GMOs.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:20 AM   #13
MikeS
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I bet if Trek was still on TV today, there would have been a preachy episode drawing a comparison between replicator food and GMOs.
Old March 11 2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Mott the barber
Commodore

This ep. reminds me of Insurrection the way they transported the society from one place to another via the holodeck.
Old March 11 2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Dream
Admiral

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
This ep. reminds me of Insurrection the way they transported the society from one place to another via the holodeck.
Kind of sad that they stole the plot from one of the worst episodes for a movie.