Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 4 2013, 08:15 AM   #16
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x05 "Loud As A Whisper"

T'Girl wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
I do not understand your question.
I was inquiring as to which "foreign policy of the U.S. at the time the episode was written" that you were referring to.
"I" wasn't - the writers were. Foreign policy can be broad-sweeping, not specific. The foreign policy of the U.S. at the time was moving to a "policing of the world" as the Soviet Empire crumbled leaving one Super Power. As I explained in my reply above, I was not agreeing or disagreeing with Rikers statement, just noting that the writers had put it there. Although I am surprised that someone would think that "arms to rebels helped" the situation in Afghanistan.

Nice to meet you btw, and nice to have someone new join the "episode of the week" thread. Hope you'll stick around.
Old March 5 2013, 04:10 AM   #17
Captrek
Rear Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
I was inquiring as to which "foreign policy of the U.S. at the time the episode was written" that you were referring to.
I am surprised that someone would think that "arms to rebels helped" the situation in Afghanistan.
I think so too. You should see Charlie Wilsonís War.

Itís something of an urban myth that arms and training provided by America to the Mujahideen were later turned against America. Itís not true. The only way in which American aid to the Mujahideen contributed to later terrorist attacks is that it helped eliminate the Soviet enemy and left them looking for a new enemy.

And I hope this doesnít sound too callous, but even if Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, the Cole and 9/11 are the price we paid for bringing an end to the Cold War... it was worth it.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 07:48 AM   #18
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Hmm, I know where you're coming from but I'm not so sure. At least we knew where we stood during the Cold War. MAD was a stabaliser of sorts, as mad as that sounds. At least we knew who had nukes back then. Now any crazed cell with a grudge has the potential to get hold of fissile material to make a "dirty bomb".
Old March 8 2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Dirty bombs might make for good television, but they donít make effective WMDs.

From Wikipedia:
Though a radiological dispersal device (RDD) would be designed to disperse radioactive material over a large area, a bomb that uses conventional explosives and produces a blast wave would be far more lethal to people than the hazard posed by radioactive material that may be mixed with the explosive. At levels created from probable sources, not enough radiation would be present to cause severe illness or death. [...]

Since a dirty bomb is unlikely to cause many deaths by radiation exposure, many do not consider this to be a weapon of mass destruction. Its purpose would presumably be to create psychological, not physical, harm through ignorance, mass panic, and terror. For this reason dirty bombs are sometimes called "weapons of mass disruption". Additionally, containment and decontamination of thousands of victims, as well as decontamination of the affected area might require considerable time and expense, rendering areas partly unusable and causing economic damage.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 08:32 AM   #20
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Hmmm. Seems I have been a victim of this "weapon of mass deception". I think our leaders like it that way.
Old March 11 2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Mott the barber
Commodore

I really enjoyed re-watching this on the HD set. Corny at certain parts but overall solid, especially for early in the series.