Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 11 2013, 07:37 PM   #106
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: The new SimCity...*sigh*

I used to collect the boxes, until I asked myself why I was using up valuable space hoarding massive amounts of empty cardboard boxes. I mean, I put the manuals on a bookshelf (so I can get to them without having to hunt down a box), and apart from looking nice, what do the boxes do?

So, I got out of that habit.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 07:54 PM   #107
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I don't collect boxes, but I do want to have something physical that I can put on a shelf. I don't like these oversized boxes that were standard up to ten years ago, I also don't care for oversized collector boxes. The standard DVD and bluray casings are mighty fine, though. And steelbooks are truly wonderful.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 07:57 PM   #108
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I don't collect boxes, but I do want to have something physical that I can put on a shelf. I don't like these oversized boxes that were standard up to ten years ago, I also don't care for oversized collector boxes. The standard DVD and bluray casings are mighty fine, though. And steelbooks are truly wonderful.
I'm cool with games coming in jewel cases, considering I have a few racks for those. The DVD-style cases are just stupid, though. But it seems all the console manufacturers have gone to that format, so naturally PC game manufacturers had to follow suit.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old March 11 2013, 08:05 PM   #109
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The DVD-style cases are just stupid, though. But it seems all the console manufacturers have gone to that format, so naturally PC game manufacturers had to follow suit.
Why are they stupid? They're pretty much the best compromise in size - big enough where they can still fit a manual, small enough that retailers are happy.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:19 PM   #110
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
The DVD-style cases are just stupid, though. But it seems all the console manufacturers have gone to that format, so naturally PC game manufacturers had to follow suit.
Why are they stupid? They're pretty much the best compromise in size - big enough where they can still fit a manual, small enough that retailers are happy.
That's my thought as well, I think it's the ideal size and format.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 09:49 PM   #111
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Old March 11 2013, 10:01 PM   #112
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

"Don't cry. We'll play SimCity 4."
Old March 11 2013, 10:42 PM   #113
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

ATimson wrote: View Post
What "manuals"? You mean the 10-30 page booklets they occasionally include?

Don't make me laugh.
Old March 11 2013, 10:58 PM   #114
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
The best part is at the end where he tells them to shot him in the head if he buys another EA game....and then tells them to preorder Battlefield 4.

Edit: after watching this video it is different then the one I watched. Still funny though.
Old March 11 2013, 11:32 PM   #115
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Cool, thanks for the feedback to everyone who replied to my question.

Sounds like server problems are more or less sorted out now, so I just need to wait for them to fix cheetah speed and then I'll probably pick up a copy. Thanks!
Cheetah speed works fine for me.
Old March 12 2013, 12:17 AM   #116
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Cheetah speed works fine for me.
Are you sure about that? Because it was still disabled as of 9 hours ago. You can click on the button and the game will claim it is running at cheetah speed, but the simulation still runs at normal speed.
Old March 13 2013, 08:23 AM   #117
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I was so sure I saw the animations change when I hit the button. But I checked, and right you are.
Old March 13 2013, 12:52 PM   #118
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

They don't have Cheetah Speed, but they do have Placebo Speed
Old March 13 2013, 04:06 PM   #119
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Add this to the list of user complaints about SimCity: The game pads out the population figure to make your city seem bigger than it is. For the first 500 sims, everything runs as expected, but after that point the game starts multiplying the population figures non-linearly. At 1,500 sims, the game claims your population is roughly 5,000, and at 15,000 sims the game claims your population is 100,000. The extra 85,000 "phantom sims" play no role in the simulation, they're completely fake. They don't have homes, they don't go to work, they don't pay taxes. They presumably exist to try and hide how small the cities in the game really are.

I can understand why Maxis did that, simulating hundreds of thousands of individual sims would probably have killed most computers. But having the game cover up how small the cities are by lying about your population seems really dishonest.
Old March 13 2013, 08:38 PM   #120
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

That's actually kind of clever, and makes sense in a statistical sort of way. Beyond a certain number, there's no real benefit to simulating that many individuals.