New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 20 2013, 11:23 AM   #106
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

@ Thete

If this is your first time TOS experience I'd suggest to watch it in its original context first, which is the one that kept the series popular for 40 years.

I think this might help to better appreciate the improvements of TOS-R (i.e. enhanced matte paintings of planet surfaces) once you watch it a second time.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; February 20 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I meant "i.e.", not "e.g."
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 02:34 PM   #107
Thete
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Thete

I watched roughly half of season one of TOS-R, but now the Blu Ray has given me the opportunity to see it as it was, so I'll take that advice!
Thete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:50 AM   #108
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Metryq wrote: View Post
Many of you probably know of Scott Gammans' efforts to create his own nuFX for "The Doomsday Machine," begun before Paramount released their own version. YouTuber SpockBoy edited together a collection of shots from Scott's work. Take note of the specular detail in the hull plating, especially in the shot starting at 21 seconds—it is very similar to the "overexposed" shot discussed earlier in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tO7cl6bmOs

Interesting he's used music from the Bond film Moonraker I believe.
Yup, my friend Paul Sibbald (a.k.a. "Spockboy") was the one who put together that video from various test clips I posted online back in the mid 2000's. The model I built underwent several revisions before I put the project on indefinite (infinite?) hiatus; the final version can be seen from 0:21 to 0:32 in that clip.

FWIW, I enjoyed TOS-R. Do I wish that they had more time to do a more thorough job? Yes. Do I think they did a great job given the time constraints they were under. I do!
Old March 8 2013, 05:00 AM   #109
Warped9
Admiral

One of these days I'd like to try my hand at modelling the Enterprise.
Old March 11 2013, 06:05 PM   #110
CrazyMatt
Commander

The biggest flaw of the remastering was the depictions of the Enterprise (and other starships). Somehow they always came off looking like, well, phoney. The placement and font* of the names and registry numbers... the 'stacked shuttle main engines'-like warp nacelles... the awkwardly drawn phasers... all of them screamed (borrowing a DS9 quote) "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It's shocking to compare the CBS remastered Enterprise with the Defiant from the ENT episode "In A Mirror, Darkly." The Defiant looked as good or better than the TOS Enterprise 11-footer. Why was it so hard to duplicate that effort for the remasters?

On the flip side, a number of the planet shots, such as Starbase 11, Scalos, etc... were very well done.

But the subpar rendering on the Enterprise... ruins the whole effort for me. And it's hard to say that considering the Okudas were involved and I have a world of respect for them.

*Examples: the 'giant font' of the nameplates for the Exeter and Intrepid.... the different fonts for "U.S.S." and adjacent "CONSTELLATION"
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:42 PM   #111
Marsden
Commander

Could they have been trying to make the ships more compatable with animated Star Trek? It does seem to resemble the Filmation Enterprise and they were obviously infulenced by the animated show.

I'm going to get hit with dead fish and rubber chickens for posting this, but I'd like it if they did the "remaster" to the animated and use the same models for the cartoon and use cg animation, like Toy Story or Shrek, for the character parts, keep the dialogue (and the orignial cast) and redo the sound track. Maybe the could redo M'Ress with an actress, I mean new actress, and maybe not leave 80% of the voices by James Doohan, not that he did too bad with it.

I watched Immunity Syndrome yesterday, and they certainly do put the wrong space field on the screen, they show the dark anomaly before it's supposed to be visible. The timing of the reactions, Spock says, that, then they show it again, the only way it could work with the error is NO ONE was looking for several seconds, which is silly.
Marsden is online now   Reply With Quote