Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 7 2013, 03:51 AM   #31
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum
Re: Were you satisfied with the character arcs?

Gaeta and Zarek became randomly, suddenly evil because a Crimson Tide-esque mutiny would make for exciting TV.
Zarek had been jockeying to be the leader since he got out of prison the show, even trying to kill several characters a few times. Gaeta had gone through hell, he worked to the Cylon controlled government while on New Caprica but was a secret spy and would get information to the resistance. For his trouble, he was almost executed by the people he thought he was helping. Later, several of those people were revealed to be Cylons, one of whom was responsible for him losing a leg, and his commanding officer had accepted an alliance with the very Cylons who he had seen kill several thousand innocent victims on New Caprica. It makes sense that he wouldn't be happy and would be willing to do anything to prevent what he saw as an attempt for those Cylons to wipe out the Fleet. He had also seen Dualla kill herself, they were shown to be friends on some level. So he had been through a very rough patch. He clearly wanted to not kill anyone and keep it as clean as possible, while Zarek went around having people killed. He thought he was doing the right thing, but it turned bad and he got a bullet in his head. His biggest mistake was working with Zarek.
Old March 7 2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Saying "God did it" implies a cop out, "Deus ex machina" in an situation that actually involves God and machines.
Kara's Viper was recreated along with her, being a machine that came from God. So does that make it a "Machina ex deus"?
Old March 7 2013, 08:25 PM   #33
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Saying "God did it" implies a cop out, "Deus ex machina" in an situation that actually involves God and machines.
Kara's Viper was recreated along with her, being a machine that came from God. So does that make it a "Machina ex deus"?
That's pretty good.
Old March 10 2013, 08:21 PM   #34
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Gaeta's storyline was one of the better ones and one that made sense with everything he had gone through.
Old March 11 2013, 02:23 PM   #35
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Gaeta's storyline was one of the better ones and one that made sense with everything he had gone through.
Yup. So did Zarek's. Zarek was shown to be a manipulator from day one, and he didn't stop manipulating just because he achieved "legitimate" power. After Earth fell through, he saw his opportunity to oust the current leadership, which he saw as a complete failure.
Old March 11 2013, 02:27 PM   #36
Creepy Critter
Admiral

I'll admit I was moved by Kat's story arc.
Old March 11 2013, 02:38 PM   #37
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I must be one of the few who wasn't, because her final episode was such an immense cliche. "Let's reveal a character's unsavory backstory that we've not even hinted at before, so they can redeem themselves by dying, all in a single episode!"

It's one of those things I'd call "retrocharacterization," where someone's supposedly been motivated by particular elements of their past that had been heretofore unrevealed, setting them up to make the Ultimate Sacrifice.

It just struck me as lazy and cliched and I didn't much care for it.
Old March 11 2013, 02:51 PM   #38
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Well, at times I can be a sucker for clichés.
Old March 11 2013, 03:50 PM   #39
The Stig
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Well, at times I can be a sucker for clichés.
Me too. They're cliches for a reason, after all. EJO acted the hell out of that episode and left me feeling real emotion for a third-string character like Kat, who was barely in the show. That's a win in my books.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old March 21 2013, 08:23 PM   #40
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

EJO could make me cry over a torn sponge. He's amazing.

I got to hear him give a speech at a BSG party at Dragon*Con one year. It was an Adama-style speech and I would have honestly followed him out the door if he said that we (the party) was going to go conquer Atlanta. It was awesome, in the actual sense of the word.
Old March 22 2013, 08:42 PM   #41
Worf2DS9
Writer

My only issue with the BSG characterizations is the whole Final Five business -- or more specifically, that they all happened to be personnel aboard Galactica. It was far too convenient and frakked all over the arcs these characters, most notably Anders & Tigh. To me at least, everything these characters had gone through over the series, like Anders leading the resistance on Earth and everything that went with that, no longer meant as much because it was all really a sham.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Old April 4 2013, 02:00 AM   #42
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
My only issue with the BSG characterizations is the whole Final Five business -- or more specifically, that they all happened to be personnel aboard Galactica. It was far too convenient and frakked all over the arcs these characters, most notably Anders & Tigh. To me at least, everything these characters had gone through over the series, like Anders leading the resistance on Earth and everything that went with that, no longer meant as much because it was all really a sham.
It's sort of explained in The Plan. Cavil kept the Final Five alive and got them together because he wanted to prove how they were mistaken about humanity. He's the one who got Ellen off the Colonies and he arranged so Anders wasn't killed.

Also you have to remember that the Final Five aren't part of the normal skin job Cylons. They're from Earth and came to keep the Colonial humans from repeating the same mistakes they did, but arrived too late to do so. They wanted to keep the humans and Cylons from fighting. Once the Cylons attacked, all of the Final Five did what they could to help save the human race. Tigh even killed Ellen to protect the human race and stop the Cylons. Anders lead resistance groups on Caprica and New Caprica, then became a Viper pilot. Tyrol kept the ships going and was a part of the resistance on New Caprica, along with Ellen and Tory. In many ways, that shows the original versions of themselves starting to emerge again instead of the parodies of themselves that Cavil programmed them to be.
Old April 5 2013, 04:33 PM   #43
Alex1939
Captain

It all kind of worked for me because I accepted that Cavil was really just a petulant child that never had any discipline or thought he could do wrong.

For Star Trek fans that doesn't seem like a hard leap to make. Pretty sure there was a Trek episode or two with similar theme.
Old April 5 2013, 10:21 PM   #44
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

V wrote: View Post
Baltar didn't really go anywhere.
So what you're saying is that you either didn't watch the show at all or you are unable to process the most rudimentary concepts of a character arc.