TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old March 10 2013, 04:27 PM   #106
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

It was a really fun show, great action, characters, comedy. Went on 3 or 4 seasons too many, should have gone to movies. The original movie I enjoyed, never imagined it could spin off to a sequel or a series.
Old March 10 2013, 05:16 PM   #107
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Haven't read the entire thread, but here's my opinion:

I thought SG-1 was OK. I appreciated it for being set "now", and trying to deal with how we would interact with incredibly advanced technology. But, if it wanted to be realistic, then it needed to be realistic. Humans kidnapped as slave labor thousands of years ago - OK. Those same humans speaking modern English, not OK. Speaking something akin to their original language? - OK. Speaking the language of their masters - that'd be the ticket.

There were no "universal translators" to get around the language barrier in SG-1, so they added a character to deal with it, but then dropped that convention anyway. I disliked it for that reason alone. I won't mention the other problems I had with the show, since I'm not into bashing it. It was enjoyable, but I had hoped it would be a little more on the hard sci-fi side. Perhaps that was a bit unrealistic of me, but I did find it disappointing in that regard. Oh well.
This was something they addressed (I think it was in one of the DVD special features) and what it came down to is that they would have loved to have more language diversity in the show, but they only had 40min to work with and couldn't really spend time every single episode having Daniel trying to translate everything the other guys are saying.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 10 2013, 10:35 PM   #108
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
But anyone on Stargate almost certainly had watched Star Trek growing up.
Eh? Why?
Because in the Stargate universe NASA named their shuttle test vehicle after the TV show Enterprise and many real life astronauts, contemparies to SGC characters have referenced the series as part of their inspiration. However the Marines may have been more likely to have seen TNG or DS9 then TOS.
Old March 11 2013, 12:56 AM   #109
AJ86
Captain

Star Trek and Star Wars are part of pop culture. You don't need to have watched either of them to know what the Enterprise is, or who Luke Skywalker or Captain Kirk are. The SGC is part of the US military, not NASA.
Old March 11 2013, 01:12 AM   #110
marksound
Fleet Captain

I enjoyed SG1, and so did my wife who is not at all into sci-fi. She liked it because the aliens didn't have all the prosthetics, making it easier to follow the plot without all the distraction. I liked it because it could make fun of itself. That's a lesson that other shows could learn.
Old March 11 2013, 01:36 AM   #111
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Star Trek and Star Wars are part of pop culture. You don't need to have watched either of them to know what the Enterprise is, or who Luke Skywalker or Captain Kirk are. The SGC is part of the US military, not NASA.
I understand that, the SGC was part of the US Military in the world were NASA existed. And in a world where the general public knowledge of space exploration included the space shuttle as its peak of manned spaceflight technology. Hence it is probable that since the shuttle test bed was named in part for a TV show's vehicle that the said TV show, as a TV show, is part of the Stargate fictional universe
Old March 11 2013, 12:53 PM   #112
AJ86
Captain

Well yeah, it is. But the point of contention was whether most of the SGC personnel would have watched it or not.
Old March 11 2013, 02:22 PM   #113
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Well yeah, it is. But the point of contention was whether most of the SGC personnel would have watched it or not.
And most SGC personnel would have been 10 to 30 years old when TNG premiered and likely to have watched Star Trek, it being in one of the preferred genres of people who grow up to be soldiers. A group for whom Star Trek references show up in other shows like the submarine XO using one in the movie Crimson Tide to short cut a crewman towards a solution.
Old March 11 2013, 10:02 PM   #114
gturner
Admiral

And the other shoe is that surely SG-1 episodes got archived in the 21st century and are, in theory, accessible to the characters on Star Trek. ^_^

Of course there's rule #37843-A, no show exists as a show inside its own universe, so episodes of Star Trek shouldn't be in the Star Fleet database, but does this rule have a transitive property that no show that references Star Trek is in the database?

Doctor Who is a little bolder about walking right up to the line about just finding out what happened before, but it's centered on time travel and has more fun with the concept. Star Trek is far more straight-laced, but I'll bet SG-1 would have few qualms about checking to see how their own episode ends via referencing another show, if they were pulling one of their comedic episodes.
Old March 11 2013, 11:59 PM   #115
AJ86
Captain

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
And most SGC personnel would have been 10 to 30 years old when TNG premiered and likely to have watched Star Trek, it being in one of the preferred genres of people who grow up to be soldiers. A group for whom Star Trek references show up in other shows like the submarine XO using one in the movie Crimson Tide to short cut a crewman towards a solution.
People who grow up to be soldiers tend to be sci-fi geeks? Not buying it.
Old March 12 2013, 12:54 AM   #116
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
People who grow up to be soldiers tend to be sci-fi geeks? Not buying it.
The first Star Trek computer game I came across was a straight combat simulation on the school's mainframe in 1979. By the time TNG and DS9 were in production just about the only military based shows on were Space Operas. There were reruns of old Combat or Rat Patrol episodes and the Vietnam based shows were on but only Tour Of Duty was combat based, the kind a future special forces airman might be likely to watch religiously.

Star Trek itself had that military portion. The Enterprise and Voyager were in constant low intensity conflict and Defiant was in a total war. And just as future soldiers might only see combat and small unit tactics on SG-1 or The Unit in its day you could count on Star Trek in whatever form to provide a steady diet of firefights and ship to ship combat with the "soldiers" calling each other Commander, Captain and responding with "yes sir". Outside of SF you really didn't see that.

Now they might not of went to a convention to trade Tribbles but they almost certainly were among the target demographic reached by Paramount.