RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 378
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 10 2013, 11:11 PM   #31
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Am I part Irish or not?

1001001 wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
My feeling is this: if you have distant relatives who may have been from Ireland, lived in Ireland, etc, and you would LIKE to say you're part Irish....then you're part Irish. Hell, if you go back far enough, we're all bloody related, so if you want to be Irish, what the hell; go for it.
This is how I feel. Countries and tribes are social constructs. Families are genetically linked. Genealogy is interesting because it's about individuals and history. My grandfather was born in Ireland, and his story is interesting to me, but I was born in Boston. I also have recent ancestors from England and Norway. I feel no special connection to the cultures of Ireland, England or Norway-- my culture is the United States of the Groovy 60s-- but I can claim Irish, English and Norwegian ancestry.
This is very interesting to me.

My great-grandparents immigrated from Ireland in 1922, not long after the vote. My grandmother was the first one in our family born in the United States, in 1924.

I bear a solid Irish name, and the mark of the Catholic church (mostly, scars on my knuckles from rulers).

But I really don't identify much with the past. I am American. Maybe because it was so much easier for us to assimilate, there was not a need to hold on to where we came from? I don't know if this is coming out right, but it's something I've thought a lot about. Why do I not have this identification with my "home" country like some others do?

I don't think much about the "old ways" or the "old country". Sure I'd love to visit one day. I'm curious. But I don't have the overwhelming emotional attachment and/or longing that some people describe for their past. I live in the present.

I think sometimes "my great grandparents got the hell out of there for a reason!"...

I don't know. This is all very disjointed, and I apologize. I think the bottom line is we can all define ourselves, and many of those definitions will be arbitrary anyway (as auntiehill said earlier, go back far enough and we're all related).
It's a bit different for Americans, too, as the melting pot itself, as well as a set of beliefs, define us more than genetics. My ancestors two or three generations back were refugees, but I am as American as anyone whose family came over on the Mayflower or fought in the Revolution. I have friends who were born in Thailand and St. Vincent-- the day they became citizens, they became just as American as me. That's one of the things I love most about this country.

Maestro wrote: View Post
Next Sunday, we're all Irish.
My grandfather used to say, there are two kinds of people in this world-- those who are Irish and those who wish they were.
Old March 10 2013, 11:12 PM   #32
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
Scots, on the other hand, are purebred. Thoroughbreds, you could say.
Must..resist...sheep...reference..
I though it was the Welsh who were so 'interested' in sheep?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 12:43 AM   #33
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
The name itself isn't "Saxon" but might be a Saxon name...perfectly clear, right?
Oh, my bad. I read that before drinking my morning tea, so my brain wasn't fully operational yet.
Old March 11 2013, 01:13 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I enjoy history so looking into my family's genealogy is just a way of exploring history. It was a bit frustrating as it took to the 1600 to get out of America. Nothing surprising though. The ancestry was the expected mix of Irish, English and Scottish plus some German Swiss. (Swiss German?) My wife's a bit easier, as as all of her Grandparents are from other countries.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 02:30 AM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Isn't EVERYONE part irish if they are at least somewhat white?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 03:13 AM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Nah, the Irish have only been white for about a Century,
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 03:57 AM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
. . . For example - one of my ancestors was born in Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye. His father was a stone-mason who worked on the castle. The castle is the seat of the Clan McLeod and is the longest continously inhabited castle in Scotland.
You mean you're related to this guy? Cool!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
scotcat wrote: View Post
I think it's brilliant to know where you came from and to know your family history (we've been able to take my mum's family tree back to the early 1700's), but that shouldn't change who you are now.
I guess I can see the history being interesting, like Miss Chicken's example. I just don't understand the desire for roots and connections that people seem to have. . . People tend to speak about their distant ancestry with such ownership, but why someone who's great-great-great-great grandmother was Irish (or Greek or Spanish or whatever) want to take ownership of that? -- it's not like they know what it's like to actually be a part of that culture.
I feel the same way. Family history can be an interesting topic, but ultimately your identity is about who you are, your own psyche and personal experiences, and not where your great-great-grandfather was born or what kind of clothes he wore or what religion he practiced or what he ate for breakfast.

I'm reminded of the movie Flirting With Disaster, in which Ben Stiller plays an adoptee who goes in search of his birth parents. When he thinks he's found his biological mother (a woman who happens to be of Finnish ancestry), he says, "Finnish? I don't even know how to be that!"

Depends on your point of reference. Aussies make sheep-fucking jokes about New Zealanders. And vice versa.
Old March 11 2013, 04:55 AM   #38
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Did any of my human ancestors ever live on Éire?

I don't know. Possibly. Possibly not, I suppose. In the parts of my family tree that I'm familiar with, the answer is, "No."

So, what's the scientifically calculated probability of the affirmative answer to the question, assuming I'm a randomly selected person?
Old March 11 2013, 06:27 AM   #39
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

My best friend is a huge Highlander fan ad I think she was a little miffed when I told her of my family's McLeod connection. I am a Highlander fan too but nowhere as fanatical as she is.

Depends on your point of reference. Aussies make sheep-fucking jokes about New Zealanders. And vice versa.
New Zealanders are more likely to make underarm jokes about Australians. Tasmanians are subjected to two-headed jokes.

I only learnt that jokes were made about the Welsh and sheep by watching QI

Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 10:25 AM   #40
gturner
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
The Vikings took over Ireland for the slave trade, and their trade routes extended all the way to the Middle East (Baghdad, Iran, etc) and perhaps into India (Viking treasures include Buddhas and objects and coins from as far away as North Africa). If they were selling Irish slaves the other way, then just about everyone is probably part Irish.

So perhaps the globe-spanning British Empire was just an attempt to oppress the Irish where ever they might be found.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 05:09 PM   #41
flandry84
Captain

One's as bad as the other TBH.
Also,the British didn't need to do us down,we do quite a good job of that ourselves.
Old March 11 2013, 07:10 PM   #42
propita
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . For example - one of my ancestors was born in Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye. His father was a stone-mason who worked on the castle. The castle is the seat of the Clan McLeod and is the longest continously inhabited castle in Scotland.

Whenever I'm holding a closed umbrella, I find myself twirling it around and saying, "I'm Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod."

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 09:21 PM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kestra wrote: View Post
I consider myself American, first and foremost. I was born in the US and have lived here my entire life.
Same. In fact, I would have to go back at least 4 generations before I found an ancestor that wasn't born in America. Whatever random family members I had that lived in Europe are so far removed from me that I can't really care about them, and I certainly don't consider myself to be "part" anything. My parents are American, therefore I am American.
Old March 12 2013, 02:45 AM   #44
Kestra
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
I consider myself American, first and foremost. I was born in the US and have lived here my entire life.
Same. In fact, I would have to go back at least 4 generations before I found an ancestor that wasn't born in America. Whatever random family members I had that lived in Europe are so far removed from me that I can't really care about them, and I certainly don't consider myself to be "part" anything. My parents are American, therefore I am American.
I'm from the first generation in our family to be born in the US, and my parents are Indian. But I still consider myself American.
Old March 12 2013, 03:32 AM   #45
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Kate and Conan would know:
http://youtu.be/Y6jSFPwXGPk