Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 10 2013, 07:00 PM   #16
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

DalekJim wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
JNT was also critized for bringing in big name guest stars
I actually thought Nicholas Parsons in Curse of Fenric was terrific.
How about Beryl Reid and Rula Lenski then or Leee John?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Iamnotspock
Captain

Can't say I care about the man's sex life one way or the other, everybody has their demons and society's obsession with celebrity's sex lives is trivial and warped. He produced Seasons 18, 25 and 26 which are three of my favourites so he'll always be somebody I admire. Under him the show took a harder science-fiction edge which is preferable to the light, celebrity-orientated entertainment under RTD.
I'm a fan of the later McCoy era too, but I think that owes more to Andrew Cartmel than JNT, and while I can enjoy most of the Davison era I think overall he did far more harm than good, with some truly baffling creative decisions (I'm with RTD in calling Colin Baker's coat “the greatest mistake in the history of television”). To be fair though, he'd wanted to move on for many years before '89, while Colin Baker had wanted to stay for many years, so naturally the Beeb sacked Colin and kept JNT.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:57 PM   #18
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
I'm a fan of the later McCoy era too, but I think that owes more to Andrew Cartmel than JNT
Well, JNT hired Cartmel and cast McCoy and Aldred.

(I'm with RTD in calling Colin Baker's coat “the greatest mistake in the history of television”)
That would be Voyage of the Damned.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I admire. Under him the show took a harder science-fiction edge which is preferable to the light, celebrity-orientated entertainment under RTD.
JNT was also critized for bringing in big name guest stars and that hard edged science ficiton ended when Bidmead left teh show IMO.
JNT and RTD both appointed Doctors (rather than audition) cast a former child star/singer as companion, and saw the advantage of stunt casting guest roles. It's weird how it all worked for the later.
Old March 10 2013, 10:02 PM   #20
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I hadn't known JN-T was gay. Interesting that both the last producer of the original series and the first producer of the new one were gay. It makes me wonder if other producers were.
IFAIC, Nathan-Turner's eight predecessors were all straight.
Certainly, Peter Bryant, Barry Letts, Philip Hinchcliffe and Graham Williams were all married with young children, while Derrick Sherwin was married to the actress who played Lady Jennifer in The War Games. Not proof that they didn't swing the other way on the quiet, of course, but I'll take it at face value.
ISTR mention of a widow and children in Innes Lloyd's obits, but that's 20 years back so can't be certain. If John Wiles had been gay, I'd suspect someone might have mentioned it as a possible explanation for the well-documented bad relationship between him and the somewhat intolerant Hartnell. As for Verity Lambert, she was married briefly in the 70s: could be any number of reasons why it didn't last, but I suspect that we probably don't need to look for anything more than her being a strong-willed, acid-tongued career obsessive...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 01:13 AM   #21
DWF
Vice Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
I admire. Under him the show took a harder science-fiction edge which is preferable to the light, celebrity-orientated entertainment under RTD.
JNT was also critized for bringing in big name guest stars and that hard edged science ficiton ended when Bidmead left teh show IMO.
JNT and RTD both appointed Doctors (rather than audition) cast a former child star/singer as companion, and saw the advantage of stunt casting guest roles. It's weird how it all worked for the later.
The difference being that RTD is a writer while JNT was a mere bean counter. IMO JNT should've left when Peter Davison left after that he really had no vision for the show and he did try to leave.
Old March 11 2013, 01:22 AM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd like JNT to have had the opportunity to produce more seasons as good as S25/S26 and I wish RTD had left with Eccleston.
Old March 11 2013, 01:24 AM   #23
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

I'd like JNT to have had the opportunity to produce more seasons as good as S25/S26
I'm glad the series ended on as much of a high as it did and glad that we got the VNAs, my favorite tie-in novels ever, to continue where S26 left off.

Not that I would complain if someone showed me an amazing S27 from an alt. universe, of course.

and I wish RTD had left with Eccleston.
Agreed.
Old March 11 2013, 01:28 AM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The era of S25/S26/Virgin New Adventures is the best I agree but I'm a bit greedy for more TV McCoy. The novels are an excellent series of sci-fi books in their own right but a part of me believes S27 would have been just as awesome as S26. And S26 had Ghost Light and Fenric which is fucking incredible.
Old March 11 2013, 01:34 AM   #25
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

The era of S25/S26/Virgin New Adventures is the best I agree but I'm a bit greedy for more TV McCoy. The novels are an excellent series of sci-fi books in their own right but a part of me believes S27 would have been just as awesome as S26. And S26 had Ghost Light and Fenric which is fucking incredible.
Oh, indeed. With JNT, Cartmel, Aaronovitch, Platt, and the like together, I'm sure 27 would've been excellent, but you never know and I'm glad that the last season of televised Who was one that produced such amazing stories and really showed what the show's potential was. Imagine if the series had ended with The Ultimate Foe!

*I do like Trial, but as a last season, S26 is so, so, so much better than S23.
Old March 11 2013, 01:54 AM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

While I haven't seen a lot of those years, I'd definitely read that!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 02:07 AM   #27
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

The difference being that RTD is a writer while JNT was a mere bean counter. IMO JNT should've left when Peter Davison left after that he really had no vision for the show and he did try to leave.
In the review for the book it mentions the hatred a higher up (Powell?) had for the show and JNT - wonder if the not letting him leave was a screw you to both.

That being said unless there was some iron clad contract, I don't see what would have up and stopped John Nathan-Turner simply up and walking out the door when he'd had enough.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 03:33 AM   #28
The Wormhole
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Or JNT could have kept his dick in his pants when he was at work. Or is that too radical an idea?
John Barrowman could have too.
Oh, come on. Assuming you're referring to that radio interview where Barrowman pulled his pants down in front of the web cam, he was being egged on by the hosts. Yes, he's a grown adult capable of making his own choices, but let's be honest. Barrowman is an attention-seeker, and he certainly got attention there. Personally, I think everyone overreacted to that one.

To my knowledge there is no evidence that John Barrowman has ever acted inappropriately, sexually or otherwise.
Old March 11 2013, 04:05 AM   #29
DWF
Vice Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post

In the review for the book it mentions the hatred a higher up (Powell?) had for the show and JNT - wonder if the not letting him leave was a screw you to both.

That being said unless there was some iron clad contract, I don't see what would have up and stopped John Nathan-Turner simply up and walking out the door when he'd had enough.
Unless JNT left the BBC or got fired he was bound by them to do whatever show they wanted him to work on.
Old March 11 2013, 05:10 AM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

This sounds like a rather amazing book. I've always enjoyed (most) of the JNT years so I'm going to have to pick this up. As far as him having sex with fans that doesn't really bother me so long as it was consensual.