TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 9 2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - February 2013

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
. . . If all anyone wants to do is quibble about whether or not to call it a restoration or a rebuild, well, they have too much time on their hands.
Someone over on the HobbyTalk forum mentioned the Ship of Theseus paradox. I never knew it had that name until now. You learn something new every day.

At any rate, since most of the Galileo's metal parts (framework, nacelles, wing/pylon structures) are still intact, the old girl is probably still more than 50 percent original if you go by weight.
Old March 9 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Search4 wrote: View Post
BTW, while Ed did not work on Galileo (he visited) he has been helping us with color samples from the original Enterprise model.
Just don't add any grid lines to the shuttle and things will be fine!
LoL....that is the exact same thing that they were saying back then. As far as what to call this and me being an old ship builder here we would have call it an "Overhaul". She was pulled out of mothballs, saved from being scrapped and she is being overhauled in a boat yard.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Thanks for the update.

Please keep us posted as you progress.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 09:31 PM   #19
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

They could easily finance the repairs the way NASA finances restoration of the old spacecraft. The old rotted and unusable scraps could be placed in acrylic and sold to fans. I would love to own a piece of the Galileo.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 09:34 PM   #20
MarsWeeps
Captain

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
They could easily finance the repairs the way NASA finances restoration of the old spacecraft. The old rotted and unusable scraps could be placed in acrylic and sold to fans. I would love to own a piece of the Galileo.
Yes, but the Galileo has undergone several restorations over the years. Does any of the wood from the original shuttle still exist or is it all from a prior restoration?
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Bumbles861
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Someone over on the HobbyTalk forum mentioned the Ship of Theseus paradox. I never knew it had that name until now. You learn something new every day.

At any rate, since most of the Galileo's metal parts (framework, nacelles, wing/pylon structures) are still intact, the old girl is probably still more than 50 percent original if you go by weight.
Certainly good enough. for me
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 02:40 AM   #22
feek61
Captain

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
Yes, but the Galileo has undergone several restorations over the years. Does any of the wood from the original shuttle still exist or is it all from a prior restoration?
Yes, there is original wood framing and skin(masonite) left. The original skin was mostly the back under the impulse engine where the hatches were located. It is in too bad of condition to use but it is being saved.

Last edited by feek61; March 10 2013 at 02:41 PM.
feek61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 01:50 PM   #23
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Hey Feek!....I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your TOS graphics work....Great Stuff!
Old March 10 2013, 02:41 PM   #24
feek61
Captain

^
Thanks for noticing, lol. Much appreciated!
Old March 10 2013, 05:39 PM   #25
MarsWeeps
Captain

Search4 wrote: View Post
Galileo restoration continues and we are making a great deal of progress. We have had a great deal of support from fans. Below are some highlight photos from February 2013.

Inside looking forward:

I never noticed that extra metal frame at the front left. It appears related to the movable doors. I guess that would be one reason why they couldn't attempt a smaller internal restoration, that frame would stick out like a sore thumb.
Old March 10 2013, 05:41 PM   #26
feek61
Captain

Yes, the steel frame by the door is on both side of the hatch and sticks inside as you can see a good bit. There is no question that this was meant to only be shot from the exterior, lol.
Old March 10 2013, 06:53 PM   #27
mos6507
Captain

I don't care whether it's considered a restoration or a rebuild. I am a fan of the shuttlecraft and all, don't get me wrong, but I do know that it cost a $fortune$ just to liberate this from its prior owner and it might have been a lot cheaper to just take measurements of the frame and rebuild the frame if that's all that's going to represent the original when all is said and done. So all I asked is if there were any OTHER parts of this that will be left from the original besides the frame. When it's built, you won't see the frame. The frame will be underneath the walls, and so as a historical document, it doesn't present much of an exhibit to only see recreated parts. If the landing gear or other pieces are original, then that makes a difference.
Old March 10 2013, 10:53 PM   #28
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I don't care whether it's considered a restoration or a rebuild. I am a fan of the shuttlecraft and all, don't get me wrong, but I do know that it cost a $fortune$ just to liberate this from its prior owner and it might have been a lot cheaper to just take measurements of the frame and rebuild the frame if that's all that's going to represent the original when all is said and done. So all I asked is if there were any OTHER parts of this that will be left from the original besides the frame. When it's built, you won't see the frame. The frame will be underneath the walls, and so as a historical document, it doesn't present much of an exhibit to only see recreated parts. If the landing gear or other pieces are original, then that makes a difference.
Well......As far as restorations go perhaps you can get a feel as to where we are coming from here with the information provided in the links I am providing.

http://www.sasmuseum.com/restoration/

http://www.museumofflight.org/collec...ft-restoration

http://www.aerodynamicaviation.com/a...estoration.php
Old March 10 2013, 11:18 PM   #29
MarsWeeps
Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
So all I asked is if there were any OTHER parts of this that will be left from the original besides the frame.
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the metal frame, nacelles and the rear landing strut are probably all that's left from the original. It's possible the doors might be original too.
Old March 11 2013, 11:11 PM   #30
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Glad to see an update! From the looks of it, they are doing a very professional job.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote