Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 3 2012, 04:25 AM   #76
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Glee - Season Four

I feel if they dumped the NY aspect, I could really enjoy the show more. The Super-Hero episode, while cheesy (and stupid, because I doubt they'll ever show them in costume again) was my favorite of the new season and I realized why...no NY plot, no Ms. July, no SJP, no Kurt, no Brody, no Isabelle...none of that. I also realized that Will was missing and that I didn't miss him one bit. I'm fine with Finn being the new Mr. Shu, as Will really has gotten on my nerves. It also lacked Sue, and again, I didn't mind that. I kind of feel that Sue has been played out. They kept going over-the-top with her (running for senator, for example) and I don't know where else they could go with her, though the recent feud between her and Finn did bring some life back to her character.

What we did get was Blaine being awesome, again, FINALLY, and the rest of the cast really shinning. I like the developing friendship between Jake and Ryder. While I hate Kitty, I do think her manipulation of Marley is an interesting plot line, as it has served to really get me to hate her. I think they realized that they totally messed-up Quinn's character, as they were never sure if they should make her sweet, manipulative, confused, angry, bitchy, or whatever else they felt like trying that week. Keeping Kitty purely evil is a good step. Knowing the show, they can always redeem her later on.

I hated "Kiki" from the get-go and went so far as to Google it, so I knew where to direct my hatred. I softened when I found out it was a Scissor Sisters song, as I liked some of their previous songs and it made sense, since they came from the NYC gay club scene. I may not love the song, but given the context, I hate the song less, and the use of it in the show more.

As for Gangnam Style, I am an unabashed lover of the song. It makes perfect sense that New Directions would use it and I think it is a brilliant move for Sectionals. It really showed off New Directions in a way that the Warblers could never compete with. They have the Acapella bit down, but they lack the ability to go all out on numbers. And the crowd seemed to love it, which is a bonus.

The last two episodes have really turned things around for me. A few episodes, I was right there with you, but now I think there's something redeemable about the show, if they dump the NYC/Kurt/Rachel plot, find a way to keep the mentors around more, and continue to develop the new characters.

Part of the problem is that from what I understand, Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk, and Ryan Murphy all take turns with the episodes and after a while, you can start to tell which one wrote which episode, without even seeing the names. Some episodes hit the drama bit a little too much, while others go for the cheese factor, and the last third of the episodes really hit the social issues hard. The show is best when it has a decent mix of the three. Too much of any of those three and too little of the other two make the show less entertaining.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 08:50 AM   #77
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I know we're not really talking about Glee anymore, but I was surprised when they did a mash-up of Danger Zone and Old Time Rock n Roll on this week's episode and it kind of worked for me. I did wish they didn't pick movies from before the 90s, but it wasn't bad. It's just when I think mash-up, Danger Zone and OTRNR don't really fit together that well.

Other than the Flashdance number being tacked on in the end, I liked this episode. It would have been even better had they ended it with Will walking away from Finn though.
Old March 10 2013, 08:57 PM   #78
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

^Footloose, not Flashdance

I'm seriously loving Glee right now, and I found most of that episode hilarious. When Rachel's pregnancy was revealed at the end of the previous episode my eyes rolled but it was worth it for Santana's dvd choices

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 09:01 PM   #79
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
^Footloose, not Flashdance

I'm seriously loving Glee right now, and I found most of that episode hilarious. When Rachel's pregnancy was revealed at the end of the previous episode my eyes rolled but it was worth it for Santana's dvd choices
Ah, I got the two confused. I've not seen either, but considering how much I've heard, I think it is easy to get the two confused.
Old March 10 2013, 09:36 PM   #80
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't say that, they're both quite different. I tend to prefer Footloose, but Flashdance has its moments.

Old March 12 2013, 12:20 AM   #81
Mike Farley
Commodore

There should be some drama over the identity of Rachel's baby's father. Then she could give it up for adoption. Then spiral out of control and after deciding she wants the baby back, she could try to set up the adoptive mother as unfit.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:15 PM   #82
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ I know you mean this as a joke, but I really hope they don't recycle the exact same Quinn storyline for Rachel. If they do, they really need to get a new writing staff.
Old March 23 2013, 02:20 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How many kids from your year got knocked up before graduation?

Pregnant girls do get moved to a special ghetto school away from the good boys and girls as well as the cads who knocked them up... Fairs fair, the inseminaters should get moved to their own private work farm too before they ruin any more virtuous young girls... Not that some girls can't be dominant or predatory, because this world is totally equal opportunity supposedly.

So I'm watching the Band during the Spice Girls number and two things struck... The girl on key board with pink hair needs her own spin off show STAT, and when the camera pulls a close up on the drummer boy I am certain he's rolling his eyes.

Did the producer not notice, or did the wise producer leave this dissent in the final cut as some forshadowing to a geek civil war between Glee Club and the Band Class?

Seriously, her face was a blur, I have no idea what she looks like, just on the pink hair alone, HER OWN SHOW NOW!

Can you imagine something like the bat signal?

The Bandgeeks are minding there own business and then some one fires off the Glee signal, and they all rush from the four corners of the school to heed tot he every whim of the Glee Club.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #84
propita
Rear Admiral

I've gotten really tired of the show. Not sure if it's the NYC group or the Lima group or both. Or just the writing in general. And I know I'm tired of Shue and Sue. Her character is just too unbelievable and I'm tired of telling myself, "well, it's just a tv show, they're allowed literary license." I really don't like the idea of ruining peoples' lives and then, oh she's sensitive. It's not Jane Lynch I have a problem with, it's the writers/directors/whomever.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:30 AM   #85
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Marijuana is a gateway drug to cocaine, then heroin. There's some place to go when you're clocked the level. But once you've mastered TV, that's it. Nowhere to go or level up to... TV is the final product, it's the gateway to nothing. If TV doesn't give you your jollies anymore you have to go find a new drug to keep you agitated and alive on the inside like stamp collecing, your family, nature, fast cars or crime.

For your own safety artificially arrest your devolpment before you find yourself robbing a bank, or worse making babies, just to re-find the simple glee you used to get from Glee.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 12:41 PM   #86
shivkala
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
I've gotten really tired of the show. Not sure if it's the NYC group or the Lima group or both. Or just the writing in general. And I know I'm tired of Shue and Sue. Her character is just too unbelievable and I'm tired of telling myself, "well, it's just a tv show, they're allowed literary license." I really don't like the idea of ruining peoples' lives and then, oh she's sensitive. It's not Jane Lynch I have a problem with, it's the writers/directors/whomever.
I've given up on the show. At first it was the NYC group, but then I realized, I wasn't big on the Lima group anymore, either.

As to what gave me glee from Glee, as a fan of covers, it's been the songs, more than the story-lines or even the characters. There's still plenty of ways to hear/buy/etc. the music from the show, without watching it.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:19 PM   #87
propita
Rear Admiral

Yeah, some of the cover songs are better than the originals! But I've even gotten tired of those!

Another show bites the dust in my watching.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 07:27 PM   #88
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

My interest in the show has actually been revived this year, especially now that Santana is back in it full-time.

Old March 24 2013, 07:49 PM   #89
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

^Same here. My two favorite episodes this season deal with the most silly of subjects, Superheroes and Guilty Pleasures. Not only that, but the last two weeks have featured my guilty pleasure groups of the 90s, BSB, NSync, and the Spice Girls (At the time I was, what, 14-16 years old). Is Glee Flawed? Yes, but I have been enjoying this season more than the last two. I keep hearing that Season 4 is the new Season 1 and there's a lot of truth in that statement.
Old March 25 2013, 04:44 AM   #90
ialfan
Fleet Captain

It's a guilty pleasure but I anticipate new episodes this season as much as ever. Sure there have been quite a few creative decisions that I don't agree with but there's still enough I enjoy about it that it's one of the only shows I bother watching anymore.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote