Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 6 2013, 02:27 AM   #31
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: Tomb Raider

Enjoying Tomb Raider so far. Fun and graphically a beautiful game. Don't know what I was expecting, but some of the deaths are pretty brutal, I've been strangled, had a wolf rip out my throat, impaled through the throat, impaled through the chest...I die a lot.

Getting a bit of eye strain and I don't think the constant 'shaky cam' is helping. I don't usually have issues with games and I don't remember having it with the Uncharted series, though with them I played on the PS3 and with TB I'm on the PC, so maybe that's the issue.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 05:54 AM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Will likely pick this up here in a few weeks. Instead this week I bought some computer upgrades and the new Sim City.

Should have bought Tomb Raider instead, I've not even been able to PLAY Sim City yet due to server issues on their end.
Old March 6 2013, 08:31 AM   #33
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Just gave it a spin over the last few hours. I play a lot of games and I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the best game I've played in a while. I love Uncharted, but so far, this has it beat because there are several different ways to attack an enemy... hell, there are several different types of enemies!! This is awesome!! I have no way of knowing how much of the game I've completed thus far, but I've not yet touched multiplayer, I'll keep you posted as I go along.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:34 AM   #34
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
^ Hmm. I'd say that's a more apt comparison, yeah. Certainly not as open as FC3 but it's in the right ball park.
FC3 wasn't as open as I'd like. The first time I got that "return to the area of play or loose" message, I remember moaning to myself. I still haven't finished it.

I'll see what kind of exploring I can do in TR tomorrow.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 10:46 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

Played it for about an hour before work yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never played a Tomb Raider game before, but I love the Uncharted series, and this has a very similar feel. So far the story is pretty damn intense as well.
Old March 8 2013, 12:05 AM   #36
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

From what I've heard, it's not as open as people might think and is actually somewhat linear, but it still looks like a great game.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:08 AM   #37
Tiberius
Commodore

Played it for a bit today. It feels like an interactive action movie. I'm enjoying it.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 08:48 PM   #38
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Im really enjoying it. I hate quick time events with passion of christ, but i get through them usually after ding a number of times.

Great game visually (even on high), story isn't too bad.

I am about 2/3 of the way done in one night of play though...and I havnt been too rushed and explored some, but there are lots of things to do yet.

The game is like Mass Effect 3 world. You have hubs from which you do missions, and an freely travel back to them latter to complete other actions you cant at first.
Old March 8 2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Tiberius
Commodore

I'm about halfway through. Just at the bit where she's at the beach looking for the block and tackle so they can fix the boat.

Thoroughly enjoying it. The story is good, the game itself is challenging but not impossible to solve and the characters are actually pretty good. I love the way Lara reacted after she shot that first guy in the head; absolutely horrified that she'd killed someone, but then as her situation became more extreme, she has been able to put that aside for the job that she knows she has to do.

Also loving the language. There's many "Shits", and several "fucks". Gives the game a real visceral quality.
Old March 8 2013, 10:29 PM   #40
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Challenging? Seriously? I finished the game earlier today and while I loved it, I didn't find it at all challenging. The combat is fairly easy even on Hard and the puzzles aren't difficult at all.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 10:36 PM   #41
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

The only hard part for me are the quick time events. Odd camera angles get interesting but i like it.
Old March 9 2013, 04:03 AM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, I went ahead and bought this game and played tonight through the first deer/food hunt. Very interesting and good looking game so-far. Look forward to diving more into it later when I've more time.

Good graphics and voice work on the game and, man, is this new Lara hot!
Old March 9 2013, 05:42 AM   #43
Tiberius
Commodore

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ Challenging? Seriously? I finished the game earlier today and while I loved it, I didn't find it at all challenging. The combat is fairly easy even on Hard and the puzzles aren't difficult at all.
Not particularly challenging, mind you.
Old March 9 2013, 11:14 AM   #44
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I completed the game with 65% last night. Id say the best boss fights all are in the last 1/3 of the game starting when you get the rope assention engine. I dis onlt one optional tomb the flooded vault. The entire game should have had puzzles like it did maybe.

Great game though. When you complete it you can continue and complete other tasks as well but you are locked into the game once you get to the last campsite just like in far cry3.

The ending is interesting if not over too soon i really i could have fought more oni.
Old March 10 2013, 12:24 AM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

The only thing I find I'm not enjoying is the lack of hand-to-hand combat. Maybe it's just because of the other types of games I usually play, but whenever an enemy gets close to me, I instinctually hit the Square button to punch them...only in this game, it doesn't do anything! If an enemy is that close, I feel I should at least be able to whack them with my bow or the butt of my gun. Instead, they usually end up stabbing me in the neck.