RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 776
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 1 2013, 01:29 PM   #331
Fer
Commander

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I just finished "State of Decay." Not a big fan of vampires, but (as usual when Doctor Who uses stuff like this) I like that there's something of a scientific explanation behind their origins.
Old March 5 2013, 05:57 PM   #332
Fer
Commander

Finished "Warriors' Gate" last night. Farewell, K9, you will be missed. Oh, you too Romana.
Old March 5 2013, 09:59 PM   #333
Starkers
Admiral

Just finished a watch of Image of the Fendahl. You know I should love it. Written by Chris Boucher, featuring the 4th Doc and Leela and an eerie Gothic horror tale revolving around a skull with a pentagram etched inside it that's 12 million years old that echoes Quatermass and the Pit...

So why doesn't it work for me? tis very odd but I find it a bit dull...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 11:58 PM   #334
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Watched The Ambassadors of Death last night. It was long, but I like this one. Is it padded? Sure, but it holds up pretty well.

The color restoration was better than the VHS release by leaps and bounds. It certainly wasn't quite as good as the full-color Episode 1, and there was color bleed at times (especially on Liz's hair and the Brig's uniform) but considering how much work went into restoring this serial, I think it's a pretty minor issue overall.

The commentary was great. It was nice to hear the different perspectives at different points throughout the episode. Usually I like hearing the same folks across the entire serial, but with one this long, I think swapping people in and out worked better. And it was especially great to hear Caroline John and Nick Courtney. Here's hoping that the RT got Caroline to record a commentary for the Inferno SE.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 02:51 AM   #335
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I watched 'Inferno' that I finally got hold of. Was good to see the "evil" Brig, Benton and Liz. Feels strange to realise that out of the four leads, only Levene's still with us.
Old March 6 2013, 02:12 PM   #336
Fer
Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
Just finished a watch of Image of the Fendahl. You know I should love it. Written by Chris Boucher, featuring the 4th Doc and Leela and an eerie Gothic horror tale revolving around a skull with a pentagram etched inside it that's 12 million years old that echoes Quatermass and the Pit...

So why doesn't it work for me? tis very odd but I find it a bit dull...
Yeah, I had the same problem with it this time around. I blamed it on it being so similar to The Masque of Mandragora.
Old March 7 2013, 02:32 PM   #337
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Aztecs - great stuff. Tlotoxl's one of the best antagonists ever (*not* a villain!), and there is much pwnage by Barbara...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:11 PM   #338
Fer
Commander

Just finished "The Keeper of Traken." The DVD adds a nice dedication to Anthony Ainley as a PS to Part Four. I have to say, Tremas didn't seem too broken up about his wife turning on him and eventually getting killed.
Old March 9 2013, 02:16 PM   #339
Fer
Commander

Oh, and lonemagpie, I just finished reading "The Wages of Sin." Excellent book! I loved seeing Jo and Liz together, and Liz getting to have a "proper" trip in the TARDIS. I also feel like I have a better grasp of Rasputin the man beyond Rasputin the legend (and, like Jo, Rasputin the song!). Thanks for a wonderful read!
Old March 9 2013, 05:14 PM   #340
VDCNI
Captain

Galaxy 4 Episode 3 along with the on DVD recon. I'm not normally a fan of recons but this is pretty decent probably helped by Galaxy 4 being such a straightforward story.

The surviving episode isn't one of the all time greats but it's nice to have another Hartnell, Steven & Vicki episode to watch - they were a good team.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 11:48 PM   #341
Lowdarzz
Captain

Earthshock, Arc of Infinity and Snakedance (Fifth Doctor).

Three excellent serials. Adric was too much the whiner in Earthshock but the writer made good use of his character and gave him an interesting death.

I was glad to see Omega again in Arc of Infinity but Stephen Thorne's performance in The Three Doctors was better that Ian Collier's.

The Mara are an interesting villian that I wouldn't mind seeing again on modern Who. That said, while they get some good development in Snakedance, Kinda was a better story.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 11:28 AM   #342
Lonemagpie
Writer

Fer wrote: View Post
Oh, and lonemagpie, I just finished reading "The Wages of Sin." Excellent book! I loved seeing Jo and Liz together, and Liz getting to have a "proper" trip in the TARDIS. I also feel like I have a better grasp of Rasputin the man beyond Rasputin the legend (and, like Jo, Rasputin the song!). Thanks for a wonderful read!
Thanks - I think Raspy's some of the best characterisation I've done, and all as historically accurate as possible in 1998

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 04:54 PM   #343
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post

Three excellent serials.
First time I've seen Arc of Infinity called excellent!

I do enjoy it though.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:12 PM   #344
Lowdarzz
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Lowdarzz wrote: View Post

Three excellent serials.
First time I've seen Arc of Infinity called excellent!

I do enjoy it though.
My criteria for rating television shows are pretty simple. After I've watched it, do I feel like I wasted my time? Arc of Infinity kept my attention and therefore it was excellent. Omega is an interesting character, one I'd like to see more of in modern Who. That said, I can understand why others wouldn't like it all that much. It drags here and there and the ending doesn't make much sense.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:47 PM   #345
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

VDCNI wrote: View Post
I would love to have some pure historicals - they 60's ones are some of the greatest ever Who stories.
That's right, although I think it's the term "historical" that makes it so hard to even consider producing one of them these days, because it sounds like such a dull proposition. The old "historicals" were actually adventure stories, and that's what the current Who producer should think about if they ever intend to revive the format.