Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 5 2013, 11:19 PM   #16
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Re: Kenney Pens Trek Experience Book

Since I always preferred character actors to leads, I've no real objections to a good one's autobiography. Lance Henriksen, among others, wrote a compelling and comprehensive one. And William Schallert's had a great career, so his entire experiences would make a good read. Beverly Washburn probably won't have to write ''Stupid Place to Hang a Mirror'' since she's already written about her total acting experiences.

But Kenney I know for sitting and beeping in one TV show, and overacting in a guilty-pleasure exploitation film. The 372nd best film of all time, yes, but still not the most prestigious. So it seems quite a stretch he'd have a bookworth of material from just those two roles. And it's giving me all sorts of horrible similar fictional bios from classic TREK bit players....

One thing's for sure. We'll never get to read ''I Ate Chicken Soup in the Transporter Room'' as Hal Baylor has passed away years ago.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 12:38 AM   #17
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

But Kenney I know for sitting and beeping in one TV show, and overacting in a guilty-pleasure exploitation film. The 372nd best film of all time, yes, but still not the most prestigious. So it seems quite a stretch he'd have a bookworth of material from just those two roles.
Lest we forget, he also portrayed Lt. DePaul in "Arena" and "A Taste of Armageddon".
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 12:56 AM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
Since I always preferred character actors to leads, I've no real objections to a good one's autobiography. Lance Henriksen, among others, wrote a compelling and comprehensive one. And William Schallert's had a great career, so his entire experiences would make a good read.
Likewise, the lovely Celeste Yarnall ("The Apple") is a multitalented woman whose acting career is just one of her many accomplishments.

foxhot wrote: View Post
Kenney played a man who could not move and spent his scenes beeping once or twice.
And he didn't even do his own beeps!
Old March 8 2013, 04:59 AM   #19
Emperor Norton
Lieutenant Commander

Best of luck to him and everything, but I must say this and it will be blunt: why is it everyone cashes in on the band wagon? He was not big in Star Trek. He was not even Christopher Pike as what Pike is when we think of him (and when he actually acted and spoke); that's Jefferey Hunter, so the title is a shameless cash in (likely on the part of the publisher, but one nonetheless). The background actor from episode 17 (figuratively speaking) does not get to sit at a table at a convention with 8x10 photos waiting around to sign autographs for money, nor write a biography about his time on the show and his life, selling it on the back of the show. It is Guy Fleegman from Galaxy Quest. Everyone in this world could write a biography, but only a select few people do. I have no right to write a biography as just some guy, nor does anyone else here. We're in the same boat.

If people want to come by and interview you about your life and about your time doing whatever, then you take part in those things. But other than that, just go off and do your thing.

But the thing is written, so best of luck with that and everything. But the aforementioned points do stand.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It's getting to the point that the crewmember in the spacesuit who waved goodbye in TMP will write his memoirs as well.
Old March 9 2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Grant
Fleet Captain

I'm waiting for the book by Libby Erwin---"Hey, that's not my voice!"
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Emperor Norton wrote: View Post
...I have no right to write a biography as just some guy, nor does anyone else here. We're in the same boat.
"You proceed from a false assumption."

Everyone has a "right" to write a biography. You nor I nor anyone else can tell someone what they can and can't do. Maybe few to no-one will want to read said bio, but that isn't the same thing as telling people they can't, which is flat out rude.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

He didn't literally mean 'right' as in legal or moral right---he meant logically it makes no sense. it's just a cash grab due to the fact he was a tangential part of something that happened 46 years ago.

It's like someone who hung around the set for 3 epiusodes 45 years ago deciding to right an autobiography as if anybody cares about him. Nonsense, they are just hoping for a minor tidbit of info he might have to offer.

The guy could just have blogged or tweeted a little info and it would have been better.

"Autobiography"---ridiculous.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 01:08 AM   #24
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Key word, tangential. All would buy such a thin-premised book, please flash once. Who was it who said just because something could be done doesn't mean it should? But if it DID sell well, I hope it's because it's well-written....instead of us buying anything, Mikey-style, in terms of TREK items....
Old March 10 2013, 02:51 AM   #25
feek61
Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
He didn't literally mean 'right' as in legal or moral right---he meant logically it makes no sense. it's just a cash grab due to the fact he was a tangential part of something that happened 46 years ago.

It's like someone who hung around the set for 3 epiusodes 45 years ago deciding to right an autobiography as if anybody cares about him. Nonsense, they are just hoping for a minor tidbit of info he might have to offer.

The guy could just have blogged or tweeted a little info and it would have been better.

"Autobiography"---ridiculous.
Well, I read the book and it was fine. I doubt that Kenny is planning on raking in a ton of cash for this; I'm sure that is not what he expects with this book. I personally appreciate him sharing the little that he can share regarding my favorite show. Also, it was somewhat interesting to read about his life. I mean come-on, the guy was both Captain Pike and the Winston cigarette man (his counterpart was Tom Selleck the Salem cigarette guy). Anyway, a quick easy read and now every time I watch "The Menagerie" I will be looking for the denim scare on his face, lol.
Old March 10 2013, 04:52 AM   #26
Lance
Fleet Captain

You know, I still don't get why they needed to make him up as much as they did for "The Menagerie". Sean Kenney was chosen because he apparently had superficial similarities to Hunter -- but to my eye, they're actually even closer than that. Just look at Kenney without make-up in "Arena":

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/Ac...670119-320.jpg

And compare with Hunter as Pike:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media...pi/320x240.jpg

I'm sure they could have had him playing a more articulate Pike, even one who speaks a little (albeit maybe not very much, as their voices might not be quite as closely matched as their looks). Putting the dude in heavy make-up and only giving him a beeper to communicate with always seemed like overkill to me, because certainly his physical resemblance to Jeff Hunter is actually much more striking than that.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:10 PM   #27
Borjis
Commodore

bought it and read it.

Disappointed there wasn't more trek stuff in there, but he only worked a few weeks at most so....
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 02:07 PM   #28
MarsWeeps
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
You know, I still don't get why they needed to make him up as much as they did for "The Menagerie". Sean Kenney was chosen because he apparently had superficial similarities to Hunter -- but to my eye, they're actually even closer than that.
As a young kid watching The Menagerie, I always wondered why wheelchair-Pike had different colored hair than normal-Pike. It looked like Pike decided to bleach his hair but I chalked it up to the radiation damage.

For some reason, when I was a youngster, hair color was a large part of the character's identity, in my mind. For example, in "Alias Smith and Jones" when Roger Davis replaced Pete Duel after Duel's suicide, I remember thinking..."that can't be the same Hannibal Heyes, he has different colored hair!"
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote