RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 766
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Devil's Bargain.
Outstanding 7 13.46%
Above Average 17 32.69%
Average 14 26.92%
Below Average 12 23.08%
Poor 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 4 2013, 08:43 AM   #31
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: TOS: Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I have to say, I really enjoyed reading this one. In a different way than I enjoy reading most of the novels.

This book really felt like an episode of the show. It was a fun adventure, you know? It was different, and I liked it.

I think... I guess it felt like an olden days novel, you know? It felt a bit like a "put the toys back in the toy box just as they where" story, like all of the novels used to have to be while Trek was on the air? I guess it was nostalgic in a way.

Mind you, I don't want the novels to go back to those days. They're passed now. But dipping your toe back into the pond again is fun now and again.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 08:25 PM   #32
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just published my review. There's a lot to like in this one. I hope we get to see more from Tony Daniel in the future!
Old March 5 2013, 10:15 PM   #33
Reanok
Commodore

Kertrats47 I just read your review for Devil's bargain.After reading your review for this novel it makes me look forward to reading this book ASAP, .And i want to find out how this Tos story unfolds with the Horta.Your review was well written and made me intrigued about this novel's storyline Kirk's crew dealing with a crisis you emtione din your review.I'm glad Spock has an important role in this book.This book sounds like a winner.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:22 PM   #34
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

^^ Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it! And I definitely think you'll enjoy the book.
Old March 8 2013, 10:10 PM   #35
zarkon
Captain

Enjoyed this. Felt much more like TOS then Allegiance in Exile.

Only cons were that kirk/hannah wasn't great, and every situation resolved a bit too easily.

Favourite bit was that it had the best reason for kirk being willing to get kicked upstairs that I've seen
Old March 9 2013, 09:51 PM   #36
Ktrek
Captain

Ugh! I can't believe I read this one to the end. It was so poorly written it has me even thinking about no longer collecting Star Trek fiction. Some of the prose was just gosh awful as it reads on about a 5th grade reading level. I think the worst episode in season three of TOS would be more tolerable than this shlock. I don't even know if it's possible to recover after this. I think I have to go spend some time with some real science fiction in order to think clearly again.

Kevin
Old March 12 2013, 12:48 AM   #37
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

This was a good book. I thought the Horta stuff was better than the stuff on the planet, and the love interest/Kirk stuff was just kind of generic romance stuff, but I liked the book.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:52 PM   #38
JWolf
Commodore

The story wasn't bad. But some of the phrasing was a bit off and did take me out of the moment. I gave it average as it wasn't something all that wonderful. If it was better written, the same story would have gotten an above average if not for some of the writing.
Old March 13 2013, 05:37 PM   #39
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I thought it was a good book it only took me a few days to read. Need more kirk and spock

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:11 PM   #40
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Spock didn't sound quite right in some situations and I agree some of the language was a bit low level and the twists were easy to spot...but...but...but... for reasons I can't put my finger on I actually enjoyed this.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 08:48 PM   #41
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

It did seem similar to a television episode. Kirk spends time with a beautiful women but the Ship wins out in the end. Scotty works several hard engineering problems out. McCoy cures a "rock"again. Maybe Spock was off due to long term melding with Horta? I tbought it was all right, after another reading I can always reassess it.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:54 AM   #42
Avro Arrow
Captain

Sorry, I had to vote "below average" for this one. I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping to. I'm not going to write an in-depth review, but I'll mention a few points and nitpicks. (Note: it's a spoiler thread, so possible spoilers!)

- Characterization of the main regular characters seemed off to me, especially Kirk, and the McCoy/Hox standoff. (I know, bluff, but still...)

- For some reason, I didn't find the "colony in peril" storyline that engaging.

- The Kirk/Hannah romance just seemed like a cliché at this point. There were a few eyeroll moments, including Hannah's introduction... you just knew where it was going to end up. It didn't feel natural at all to me.

- I did really enjoy the look into Horta culture. (Um, you know what I mean!) This was probably my favourite part of the book. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Star Clan again at some point. (Didn't the book say that "Slider Dan" was the name the Janus VI miners gave him, or am I misremembering that? It would be cool if he was actually Naraht... but I have no idea if Tony Daniel has even heard of Naraht.)

- "Walkers"? Really?

- IIRC, Spock mentions that destroying the asteroid is beyond the limits of their technology. Although he had aleady given an example of exactly how they could do it. That small moon you mentioned that was completely destroyed? Yeah, presumably if that much antimatter can completely obliterate a small moon, it can take out the asteroid too. If they had said something about not having enough time to get that much antimatter this far out, then OK... but it didn't even come up.

- Good thing Sulu and Chekov figured things out at the exact same time that Merling was going to carry out his nefarious plan!

- Speaking of Merling, right after they killed him, Sulu declared that the nanotech threat had been neutralized. Are you sure? That gun casing had been cracked for a few minutes at least. You can't actually see the nanobots... maybe you want to run a scan or something before declaring the "all clear"?

- We've seen other stories set after this. We pretty much knew Spock living out the rest of his days on Janus VI was not going to happen.

- Oh, did I mention the "walkers"?

OK, I'll stop griping now. I'm glad others enjoyed this, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I seem to recall thinking the same thing about Troublesome Minds a while back, which everyone else seemed to love. Maybe the problem is me. Perhaps I've become so enamoured with the serial, interconnected style of the 24th century novels that I can't enjoy an episodic, standalone, "everything back in the box" type of novel anymore?
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:06 PM   #43
Reanok
Commodore

I got my book in the mail yesterday.I haven't had time to start reading this novel yet.
Old March 15 2013, 06:37 AM   #44
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

This novel felt very derivative. Especially after watching Masterpiece society on TNG last night.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:41 PM   #45
Reanok
Commodore

I began reading reading this novel last night. The Visbean's bigotry against Spock and Kirk's crew is exactly like the storyline in Howard Weinstein's novel The Better man. In fact there are a lot similarities when it comes to their attitudes of acting superior and ignoring Spock's warnings about the asteroid being destructive and not wanting to leave their planet.