RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,531
Posts: 5,512,742
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 647
Newest member: Bazzzz85

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 8 2013, 10:17 PM   #16
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

I certainly don't hate her but I do find all the accolades to be puzzling. I have a very open mind when it comes to music and I have found her songs so utterly forgettable that I no longer even bother listening when they pop up on Pandora.

In terms of her ability to write pop songs, she obviously knows what a "hook" is and the amount of emphasis to place on it but her hooks are really uninteresting. She does not appear to have any gift for melody at all. She is a much lesser version of Katie Perry with respect to her songwriting.

Her singing is average. She is nowhere even close to contemporaries, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Beyonce, nor does she possess those ladies' charisma. From a musical and performance standpoint, Swift, to me, doesn't appear to be that much different from Justin Beiber, she is just in a somewhat more commercially viable package.

Kanye West's little stunt has seemed to have cast her forever in the role of "victim" or perennial underdog which, IMO, has made her an easy person to vote for when handing out awards even though her work rarely rises above average.

If she was a mega talented singer like a Clarkson, or mega talented pop songwriter like a Katie Perry or Alicia Keys, or a charismatic performer like Lady Gaga or Beyonce, I would say to hell with the haters, this woman is the s""t. But she isn't any of those things yet she she continues to be a media darling and award show favorite -- like Beiber (minus the awards).

I don't hate her but I can easily see why others may.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Perhaps it's coming from country fans who resent her for 'selling out' and going pop?
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 10:22 PM   #18
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist
 
Squiggy Claus's Avatar
 
Location: Up Squiggy's Coal Chute.
View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Whether justified or not, she has the reputation, tongue in cheek or not, of dating someone a week to dump them and write a song about them. I don't hate her. I'm just glad I don't know her.
That's the reason.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 10:28 PM   #19
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't know about hate but I do know that it's a source of amusement that so many of her songs are about problems with boys that it leads to speculation that maybe it isn't the guys who are the problem. At least personally I've always found it more amusing than actually spiteful.
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Whether justified or not, she has the reputation, tongue in cheek or not, of dating someone a week to dump them and write a song about them. I don't hate her. I'm just glad I don't know her.
This.
__________________
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:35 AM   #20
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Her shtick is getting old. She isn't a 16-year-old writing love songs anymore. She is a superstar who has a hit list of romantic love songs, nothing else. Either she broke up with her boyfriend, or she's in bliss, usually as a teenager.

I am over being a teenager. I didn't particularly like being a teenager. It wasn't all that great, and I find people talking about it like it was the "best days of your life" is not only cliche, but caused me a lot of trouble when I had a bad day as a teenager. "This is a as good as life gets, and I'm not making the most of it." I actually had these thoughts because everyone was telling me about "freedom." Therefore, it can be damaging.

When I see someone as successful as Taylor Swift I expect them to be talented, first of all. She is not a vocalist. When she hits her next high note, it will be her first. And she has no social commentary. She made 21 million dollars in 2011 alone. And for what? Teenage love?

Michael Jackson had "We are the World," "Black or White," and "Man in the Mirror." Garth Brooks had "The Change," "We Shall Be Free," and "Standing Outside the Fire." When you get this big you say something about the world that hasn't been said before, and hopefully, has a positive impact. Where is that from Swift?

More than that, there was a varying voice in the love songs of Brooks, in particular. "The Thunder Rolls" about spousal abuse from third-person, "Shameless" was a love song from a man who didn't want to write one, etc. This is nowhere in Swift's music.

She had an opportunity, a big one, by switching the sex of the soldier that came home on the "Ours" video. Instead, it's just another love song that will fade into obscurity as soon as people get tired of her. Her music will not last after her career is over. She is a flash in the pan, gets really hot, and then fades away. I can't stand to listen to her anymore.

She never grew up as an artist, and that is what I hold against her.
__________________
"Cogley was old-fashioned, preferring paper books to computers. He had an extensive collection of books, he claimed never to use the computer in his office."
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:56 AM   #21
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't know about hate but I do know that it's a source of amusement that so many of her songs are about problems with boys that it leads to speculation that maybe it isn't the guys who are the problem...
That's pretty much it from what I can see.

She's talented and beautiful but she spends all her time whining (in song) about how she can't find the right guy.

At some point, the world is going to say:
"well, then, stop dating jerks"; and/or
"maybe you're the problem, honey."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:01 AM   #22
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?



Someone has already said that...
__________________
"Cogley was old-fashioned, preferring paper books to computers. He had an extensive collection of books, he claimed never to use the computer in his office."
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:48 AM   #23
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral
 
Seventh White Boomer's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Usually what Swift gets up to holds no interest to me, but it does seem a bit over the top to suggest that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are going to hell for making a joke about you at a Hollywood Award show. Though I did enjoy Poehler's reply.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Killer Frost
Commodore
 
Killer Frost's Avatar
 
Location: TayLaLaLa
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

I think there are plenty of celebs to trash and do so much worse, 'Red' was another hit for her so if her next album bombs, which I doubt will the negative attention stop? I find the hate from random people and the negative media obsession now ridiculous.
Killer Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 11:13 AM   #25
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Michael Jackson had "We are the World," "Black or White," and "Man in the Mirror."
No, Michael Jackson had none of that when he was 23. And finding artists lacking because they're not as memorable as Michael Jackson sounds like you're setting the bar pretty high.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:44 PM   #26
stoneroses
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Herford, Germany
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Who
__________________
Make poverty history! Make Trade fair!

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 03:14 PM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Her shtick is getting old. She isn't a 16-year-old writing love songs anymore. She is a superstar who has a hit list of romantic love songs, nothing else. Either she broke up with her boyfriend, or she's in bliss, usually as a teenager.

I am over being a teenager. I didn't particularly like being a teenager. It wasn't all that great, and I find people talking about it like it was the "best days of your life" is not only cliche, but caused me a lot of trouble when I had a bad day as a teenager. "This is a as good as life gets, and I'm not making the most of it." I actually had these thoughts because everyone was telling me about "freedom." Therefore, it can be damaging.

When I see someone as successful as Taylor Swift I expect them to be talented, first of all. She is not a vocalist. When she hits her next high note, it will be her first. And she has no social commentary. She made 21 million dollars in 2011 alone. And for what? Teenage love?

Michael Jackson had "We are the World," "Black or White," and "Man in the Mirror." Garth Brooks had "The Change," "We Shall Be Free," and "Standing Outside the Fire." When you get this big you say something about the world that hasn't been said before, and hopefully, has a positive impact. Where is that from Swift?

More than that, there was a varying voice in the love songs of Brooks, in particular. "The Thunder Rolls" about spousal abuse from third-person, "Shameless" was a love song from a man who didn't want to write one, etc. This is nowhere in Swift's music.

She had an opportunity, a big one, by switching the sex of the soldier that came home on the "Ours" video. Instead, it's just another love song that will fade into obscurity as soon as people get tired of her. Her music will not last after her career is over. She is a flash in the pan, gets really hot, and then fades away. I can't stand to listen to her anymore.

She never grew up as an artist, and that is what I hold against her.
Aren't you being a bit too harsh? I'm no Taylor Swift fan, and I'm as sick of her dissing ex-boyfriends through song routine as anyone. But not every singer has to use songs as a means of making social commentary on life and the world.

There is nothing wrong with writing "frivolous" songs and making millions as a result. That's her thing, you don't have to like it, I really don't care for most of her songs myself. But I don't think being famous means she has to have a profound message in her songs because really, who the hell cares? Most of the time, these songs are just something playing on the radio when I'm in the car or I watch the music video channel when I'm unbelievably bored. Not exactly the time when I'm seeking enlightenment over anything.

I do agree she should find a better means of dealing with her relationship issues than wrting songs slamming her ex-boyfriends, but that's neither here nor there.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:08 PM   #28
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Well, I don't think I've ever actually heard any of her music, nor especially care to, but I do think she's VERY beautiful, so I have a few nice pictures of her in my "babes" screensaver file. That's pretty much the extent of my caring.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Derishton
Vice Admiral
 
Derishton's Avatar
 
Location: Nova Scotia (Derishton)
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Michael Jackson had "We are the World," "Black or White," and "Man in the Mirror."
No, Michael Jackson had none of that when he was 23. And finding artists lacking because they're not as memorable as Michael Jackson sounds like you're setting the bar pretty high.
I'd agree with this. Up-thread someone argued that at least she's not the Kardashians. I'd also agree with that, but part of me thinks that there's a whole "middle" wherein Swift doesn't measure up.
__________________
I want to be sedated.
Derishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:47 PM   #30
Killer Frost
Commodore
 
Killer Frost's Avatar
 
Location: TayLaLaLa
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

stoneroses wrote: View Post
Who
James Taylor
Killer Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
taylor swift

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.