RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,195
Posts: 5,404,151
Members: 24,758
Currently online: 408
Newest member: Chris-1701

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 9 2013, 01:40 PM   #121
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Between those two? Insurrection was a hit over the head that knocked it down. But Nemesis was the lethal blow that killed it.

That said?

The TNG movies tried too much to follow the TOS formula. Instead of utilizing the ensemble the way the series did, it tried to focus on leads and let the rest be support. This was it's key mistake. "Generations" had to do this because of the transition, having Shatner as Kirk. "First Contact" did it, but less so, because everyone of the ensemble had something good and fun. It also had to focus a bit on Picard by virtue of the story. But it was a bit more even.

"Insurrection" really made it a Picard/Data movie and the rest got less, and then while "Nemesis" gave the rest a little more dialogue, it never the less was about Picard and Data and their "evil alternates" as it where.

Honestly, knowing how much Stewart and Spiner had influence behind the scenes, I frankly blame their egos a bit for such.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 01:42 PM   #122
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Script meeting with Patrick Stewart:

"Now Rick, old boy, wouldn't you say it would be a grand idea for Captain Picard to drive around on a planet in a Jeep? That'd be perfectly in line with what we've learned about him as a character over the last decade, wouldn't it? Of course it would, have it written into the script immediately."

I seem to remember Stuart Baird stating in subsequent interviews just how much he absolutely hated working with an established cast, on established sets, in an established franchise. One is forced to wonder why such a clearly unsuitable person would be placed in charge of a Star Trek: The Next Generation movie...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 03:25 PM   #123
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
"Now Rick, old boy, wouldn't you say it would be a grand idea for Captain Picard to drive around on a planet in a Jeep? That'd be perfectly in line with what we've learned about him as a character over the last decade, wouldn't it? Of course it would, have it written into the script immediately."
It may not be characteristic of the Picard we saw during TNG, but it is very much the Picard of the films post GEN. For better or worse.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:31 PM   #124
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
What does this even mean? What's the science behind this statement?

Is it referring to a scientific poll of the general audience who saw the film, and then is that A- an amalgamation of the grades assigned by those polled who self-identified as Star Trek fans? If that's what it was, then what was the grade assigned by everybody else?

Or what?

Link, please?
The post is self-explanatory no? I thought everyone knew what cinemascore was. Don't get in a huff because you were proven wrong.
Actually, I wasn't found to be wrong. As per the discussion, CinemaScore provides no data to support what Star Trek fans in general thought about Nemesis. It only measures audience reaction on opening night.

Further research indicates that CinemaScore uses its score to predict box office returns for the film. Their results are behind a pay-wall, so we can't know whether their prediction was accurate in the case of Nemesis.

They also acknowledge that crowds on opening night tend to rank movies more favorably than at other times. That's another reason why your statement, that people who saw the film liked it, isn't an accurate statement. That may have been true on opening night, but we have no data for audiences on other days.

Given the existence of other data indicating an overall negative reaction to the film, the fact that CinemaScore claims that opening night ratings are skewed high, and the fact that the movie tanked, there's reason to doubt that veracity of the claim that "people who saw it liked it."

http://articles.latimes.com/print/20...t-bigpicture13 discusses how the score is used to predict returns and how ratings are skewed high on opening night.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...startrek10.htm demonstrates that most tickets sold for the film domestically were not on opening night. Further evidence of Nemesis bombing at the box office can be found there.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_nemesis/ provides evidence of a negative critical reaction, and nonscientific evidence of negative audience reaction.
If people don't like the movie they're not going to give it an A- simple. Many movies people don't like get a lower score than A-. Regardless, this is moot, Cinemascore is the benchmark Hollywood itself uses.

It still seems like if people had followed along and gone to see it instead of listening to critical reaction, they may have enjoyed the movie. Also until ST 2009, ST Nemesis outsold any other ST film on home video and DVD...

That it bombed at BO is not in question(in fact my argument is that people like it when they see it generally speaking, BBS and hardcore trekkies notwithstanding apparently. NOT that lots of people saw it), however, when you take other sources other than box office, I calculated the movie made $120 million. I no longer have the figures with me, but I posted the results on Trek BBS many years ago. I'm sure many people remember that historic day.

Also while it gets a 6.3 from IMDB, that's better than a lot of big studio movies that "bomb" at the BO.

When it hit DVD, ST Nemesis avged a B- from major critics, or a 7 out of 12 to go with it's A- at Cinemascore:

http://www.video-reviewmaster.com/ti...title_id=64442

It is by no means the "disaster" many fans associate it with.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:35 PM   #125
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

RAMA wrote: View Post
It is by no means the "disaster" many fans associate it with.
The franchise had survived at least one extremely disappointing entry before, STV:TFF. The problem with NEM was the timing. If NEM had been released at a time when there was enough interest in the franchise to produce another try at bat, such as what TUC was, then NEM wouldn't have been such a disaster.

But there wasn't such an interest, and that's why NEM really was a disaster for the franchise. It was not only the film itself, but also the context in which it was released, that was the problem.

That film being released at that time killed the Prime Universe part of the franchise.

No matter how well NEM was regarded by those who liked it, it just wasn't as good as it needed to be, for the franchise to continue in the Prime Universe.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 08:12 PM   #126
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
I seem to remember Stuart Baird stating in subsequent interviews just how much he absolutely hated working with an established cast, on established sets, in an established franchise. One is forced to wonder why such a clearly unsuitable person would be placed in charge of a Star Trek: The Next Generation movie...
Simple. Paramount was rewarding Baird for the salvage job he did in the editing room on the first Tomb Raider movie.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 08:15 PM   #127
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I seem to remember Stuart Baird stating in subsequent interviews just how much he absolutely hated working with an established cast, on established sets, in an established franchise. One is forced to wonder why such a clearly unsuitable person would be placed in charge of a Star Trek: The Next Generation movie...
Simple. Paramount was rewarding Baird for the salvage job he did in the editing room on the first Tomb Raider movie.
Was those comments before or after he made Nemesis? If it was after maybe he never envisioned that the environment he would be working in would be so restrictive?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 09:06 PM   #128
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
It is by no means the "disaster" many fans associate it with.
The franchise had survived at least one extremely disappointing entry before, STV:TFF. The problem with NEM was the timing. If NEM had been released at a time when there was enough interest in the franchise to produce another try at bat, such as what TUC was, then NEM wouldn't have been such a disaster.

But there wasn't such an interest, and that's why NEM really was a disaster for the franchise. It was not only the film itself, but also the context in which it was released, that was the problem.

That film being released at that time killed the Prime Universe part of the franchise.

No matter how well NEM was regarded by those who liked it, it just wasn't as good as it needed to be, for the franchise to continue in the Prime Universe.
On the question of box office and "appearance" to both fans and the industry, there is NO doubt that after two sub-par performances that STNG movies were over, and 3 years later after Enterprise that the franchise was at a temporary halt. Mistakes were made by everybody, there is no point in blaming really, though if you were, ST fans themselves shoulder part of it.

I predicted a new movie within 5 years (which happened...everyone here thought I was nuts) and a new TV series in 10. Just wait for the announcement from after the new movie and before 2015.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 01:09 AM   #129
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Would we say that Nemesis wasn't really the "franchise killer"? Oh sure, it killed the TNG movies. But the prime universe continued to exist for a further three years on Enterprise, and Rick Berman was working on another (ultimately abandoned) movie script. If anything, its Enterprise that seems to have killed any goodwill for the Prime universe. That was the last one out of the gate.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 02:11 AM   #130
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
Would we say that Nemesis wasn't really the "franchise killer"? Oh sure, it killed the TNG movies. But the prime universe continued to exist for a further three years on Enterprise, and Rick Berman was working on another (ultimately abandoned) movie script. If anything, its Enterprise that seems to have killed any goodwill for the Prime universe. That was the last one out of the gate.
True.

I should have said that, given there was insufficient interest in a DS9 or VOY feature film, NEM's failure closed off any possibly of building on 24th century events in the PU, in film. And that closed off any practical possibly of expanding the Prime Universe continuity into the future at all.

Even though ENT was already in a death spiral anyway, as early as 2002, you're right, TATV was the actual whimper that the Prime Universe went out on.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 01:43 PM   #131
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Was those comments before or after he made Nemesis? If it was after maybe he never envisioned that the environment he would be working in would be so restrictive?
After. There seems to be a mutual hate society going between Baird and the main cast -- Baird didn't enjoy working with them, they didn't enjoy working with him, either.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 02:32 PM   #132
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
There seems to be a mutual hate society going between Baird and the main cast -- Baird didn't enjoy working with them, they didn't enjoy working with him, either.
They should have just asked Jonathan Frakes to direct again.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:00 PM   #133
gottacook
Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Frakes had moved on as a director in 2001-02, with Clockstoppers which was, as far as I remember, a modest success. He might have turned down the assignment of another Trek film if offered, if the Nemesis script was as ill-judged as it seems to have been at any stage of its gestation.

I wonder whether Frakes deliberately stayed away from the writing side, unlike the other movie-directing cast members Nimoy and Shatner. Or perhaps he wanted to contribute but wasn't able because his influence wasn't the equal of the other actors who were given Trek feature writing credits (Nimoy, Shatner, Spiner) or otherwise made script decisions (Stewart).
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:20 PM   #134
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Dream wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
There seems to be a mutual hate society going between Baird and the main cast -- Baird didn't enjoy working with them, they didn't enjoy working with him, either.
They should have just asked Jonathan Frakes to direct again.
I think the expectation was that he had done his two and, like Nimoy, was going to move on so one of his fellow cast, in this case, LeVar Burton, could direct.

And Berman may well have wanted Burton to direct.

Baird, however, was forced on Berman by the studio because, again, Baird had saved the studio's investment in Tomb Raider and the director's chair of another film was his reward.

That could well be part of the animosity of the cast towards Baird. He, an outsider to the TNG family, got the nod to direct over one of their own.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 07:32 PM   #135
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
Would we say that Nemesis wasn't really the "franchise killer"? Oh sure, it killed the TNG movies. But the prime universe continued to exist for a further three years on Enterprise, and Rick Berman was working on another (ultimately abandoned) movie script. If anything, its Enterprise that seems to have killed any goodwill for the Prime universe. That was the last one out of the gate.
I see it a little differently. TNG died right after Nemesis, killed by Enterprise and the sudden urge to do a prequel. Ever since then, the "Prime" universe that mattered was gone anyway and we got a show and a film that dealt with time travel and how things were manipulated in the past. In both Enterprise and Abramstrek we get the "this isn't supposed to be this way" idea. So they haven't revisited the Prime universe for 11 years now.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
insurrection, nemesis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.