Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 8 2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Search4
Commander

Galileo Restoration Update - February 2013

Galileo restoration continues and we are making a great deal of progress. We have had a great deal of support from fans. Below are some highlight photos from February 2013.

Rear - before impulse deck built.

The impulse deck being built... laminating the layers.

From the front: coming along!

Part of the paint match process - an original piece of Galileo wood, and note how the colors in test don't come very close. Remember, the wood is old and the color weathered.

Impulse deck - assembled!!

Inside looking forward:

Inside looking rear:

And the landing gear being fit in!

Finally: we made The New Yorker - great article and a bit of "day in the life" of the restoration. Thanks to Tom Vinciguerra who is a dedicated fan.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...s-galileo.html

Enjoy. Appreciate everyone's support.
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
mos6507
Captain

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - February 2013

It's not very clear from these photos was was actually left of this thing when it was first acquired. It looks like there was nothing more than a metal frame and no interior or shell. Are there any good photos documenting what actually existed before the new pieces started getting fabricated? Post-restoration you're going to want to know what's still original and what's not. If there's nothing left of the shell after restoration, it's really not much of a restoration anymore. It's a recreation over a metal framework that could just as well have been built from scratch also.
Old March 8 2013, 10:00 PM   #3
feek61
Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
It's not very clear from these photos was was actually left of this thing when it was first acquired. It looks like there was nothing more than a metal frame and no interior or shell. Are there any good photos documenting what actually existed before the new pieces started getting fabricated? Post-restoration you're going to want to know what's still original and what's not. If there's nothing left of the shell after restoration, it's really not much of a restoration anymore. It's a recreation over a metal framework that could just as well have been built from scratch also.
Do you know that many of the "restored" aircraft in museums around the world contain very few parts of the original? This is an amazing effort. The fact that the "masonite" skin was left outside for 30 years and needed to be replaced is not a big deal. The structure which is the frame is completely intact and putting the new wood on the existing frame should give an exact match to the original. I am so tired of hearing that since the decayed press board was not saved (it could NOT be used) that this is more of a rebuild; it is not. This is better than any fan could hope for given the condition of the Galileo. Also, fans should be appreciate this even more since just 2 years ago the Galileo was thought destroyed.

Thank you for the update and great photos . . . looking forward to more!!

Will

P.S. I think the colors look great!
Old March 8 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
bbailey861
Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
Do you know that many of the "restored" aircraft in museums around the world contain very few parts of the original? This is an amazing effort. The fact that the "masonite" skin was left outside for 30 years and needed to be replaced is not a big deal. The structure which is the frame is completely intact and putting the new wood on the existing frame should give an exact match to the original. I am so tired of hearing that since the decayed press board was not saved (it could NOT be used) that this is more of a rebuild; it is not. This is better than any fan could hope for given the condition of the Galileo. Also, fans should be appreciate this even more since just 2 years ago the Galileo was thought destroyed.

Thank you for the update and great photos . . . looking forward to more!!

Will

P.S. I think the colors look great!
I agree. I don't give a flying f--- how much of the original wood was left. If all anyone wants to do is quibble about whether or not to call it a restoration or a rebuild, well, they have too much time on their hands. Kudos to Mr. Schneider for great work.

Thanks for the update and I look forward to the next one.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I'm excited about this restoration project, and I hope the Galileo ends up on permanent display somewhere. Maybe the sci-fi museum needs a new wing...?
Old March 9 2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

Long live the Galileo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeuoYctp2fo

Last edited by Warped9; March 9 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 01:02 AM   #7
MarsWeeps
Captain

Glad to see an update! From the looks of it, they are doing a very professional job.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:11 AM   #8
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you so much for the update. I am so excited about this and appreciative that this is happening.I only hope that when she is done and on display that I will be able to see her in person. Again...thank you!
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

There is information as well as pictures of Galileo in various stages of decomposition on various sites on the internet. There are even pics out there of the Miarecki work. You could extrapolate from there what is old and new.
In my thoughts comments throughout the years gave Ed a bad rap back when he worked on the prior restoration. I don't know...perhaps his work on her helped to stabilize her so that she would not have deteoriated even more. I know that she sat outside and all but a coat of paint can make alot of difference.Again, I am glad that she is still with us.
Old March 9 2013, 02:06 PM   #10
feek61
Captain

Ed did not actually work on the Galileo; he only visited during the renovation.
Old March 9 2013, 02:23 PM   #11
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Looks amazing. Great job!

Not everyone who asks how much of Galileo is original is going to quibble over the terms "restore" and "rebuild." Some just want to know, without searching online for photos of often unstated vintages and speculating about unseen parts of an unfamiliar structure. Asking people who actually know is reasonable. Just saying.

Keep up the good work!
Old March 9 2013, 02:30 PM   #12
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

feek61 wrote: View Post
Ed did not actually work on the Galileo; he only visited during the renovation.
Thanks Feek as I did not know that. Back in the day when that was all over the net with his work on the Big E in the museum I would have thought that he did. I even remember many posts on the boards lamenting him as they still do over his paint scheme on Big E. They were afraid that he was going to carry this over to Galileo.Thanks again.
Old March 9 2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

I find this interesting and inspirational. Makes me think of what it might have been like when it was first built and slowly taking form. Man those guys had imagination. And to my thinking no subsequent full-size Trek mock-up was as effective. Certainly not the dorky looking TNG shuttlepods.
Old March 9 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Search4
Commander

BTW, while Ed did not work on Galileo (he visited) he has been helping us with color samples from the original Enterprise model... its not clear the studio model and the set piece Galileo should be the same color, by the way, but it seemed reasonable to check!!
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:05 PM   #15
MarsWeeps
Captain

Search4 wrote: View Post
BTW, while Ed did not work on Galileo (he visited) he has been helping us with color samples from the original Enterprise model.
Just don't add any grid lines to the shuttle and things will be fine!
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote