Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 10 2012, 02:30 PM   #31
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Would a 6 million dollar man (Bionic Man-type) reboot work now?)

My idea for a Six Million Dollar Man reboot, from another thread:

the G-man wrote: View Post
The Six Million Dollar Man.

Keep the show a lot like the first season of the original, when it was still kind of dark and serious.

In terms of his "powers," instead of having a few limbs being bionic, I'd make his entire body augmented to support the bionic parts: a metal laced skeleton like Wolverine, nanobots in his bloodstream to sync his bionic parts (including the eye) to his nervous system, etc. And I'd give him a bionic "ear" that allows him to communicate directly with the agency and download information directly to his brain.

Then, like the original, I'd have him working for Oscar Goldman at a top secret spy agency, only more badass, making the outfit a cross between CTU on "24" and the agency on "Alias." But instead of just a secret agent I'd write him as more or less what a character like this would really be: a bionic assassin, near-terrorist, for the US government, taking on missions that the government can't handle by conventional means.

Each episode could be a one-hour action movie, with extended arcs now and then and a lot of ongoing subplots: one week they could have Steve parachute into Afghanistan to kill some Al Quaeda biggie, the next he would be sent in to rescue some hostages on a compound in the midwest.

Basically, I'd make him a bionic Jack Bauer.

Finally, in order to explain the title of the show, I'd establish that his annual salary from the government is six million bucks, and not what it cost to rebuild him.
Dear Hollywood: You officially have my permission to use this idea without paying me or giving me credit. I just really, really, want to see it.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:36 PM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

We've had a DW re-boot news to me, I thought we had a continuation of the show (after it was uncancelled). Just with a budget more fit for the 21st century.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 03:15 PM   #33
Redfern
Commodore

If we count overseas material, one could argue "Ghost in the Shell" falls under this conceptual umbrella. Major Motoko Kusanagi is a full conversion cyborg; little more than her brain and part of her spinal column remains. Sometimes she has existential doubts if there is even that much left since she can't exactly examine those tissues first hand. She too works for an agency that handles covert missions. And while we don't see her throwing around cars (though she once "anchored" an escaping helicopter), she is often depicted leaping about, obtaining altitudes that would make Steve Austin envious.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 04:59 PM   #34
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
We've had a DW re-boot news to me, I thought we had a continuation of the show (after it was uncancelled). Just with a budget more fit for the 21st century.
Oh for God's sake. Reboot, revival, remake, reimagining, whatever. The term reboot is used so widely as to mean any new take on an existing property. Of course it's a continuation of the old show, but it's done in a different style to that of the 1970s and 1960s (shorter episodes, standalone stories as oppose to multiple-parters, different tone etc). The point is to show that old shows can be revived for a modern audience.
Old May 10 2012, 06:32 PM   #35
Gojira
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
As long as they remembered to make it cool and fun, which Bionic Woman was not.

And they need to bring back the slow-motion bionic effect as well. It's what made the original shows so memorable and iconic; without it, you're pretty much just watching a generic superhero show.
Agreed! If they did it that way I would watch.
Old May 10 2012, 06:35 PM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Oh for God's sake. Reboot, revival, remake, reimagining, whatever. The term reboot is used so widely as to mean any new take on an existing property. Of course it's a continuation of the old show, but it's done in a different style to that of the 1970s and 1960s (shorter episodes, standalone stories as oppose to multiple-parters, different tone etc). The point is to show that old shows can be revived for a modern audience.
There are several issues to brining back shows (not that I am disagreeing with your point that then can be brought back)

1.>Executives want the instant ratings hit

2.>Audiances can be rather fickle, and aren't generally willing to give shows a chance to become success.

3.>Due to Executies cancelling shows, a part of the audiance is unwilling to invest time in a show that will likely be cancelled. Thus leading to that shows cancellation.

4.>Some Executives appear to believe that shows should be written for the lowest common denominator.

5.>Executives don't always look at the long term profit margin for a show. Sure a show could lose money initally or not make a huge amount. Reality TV show can be great for the instant profit, but do you really think that "America's got talent 2010" will still be being shown in reruns (and thus generating money) in 2050?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 08:22 PM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I'm not sure why you think I haven't grasped any of this. I acknowledged in my original post that some shows have been revived unsuccessfully. I'm merely pointing out that some have been revived successfully, on both the big and small screens. I didn't say that this guaranteed that any revival of any show or indeed that any revival of TSMDM was guaranteed to be a hit. Merely that it was possible to successfully reboot or revive it.
Old May 10 2012, 08:51 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

My idea for a Six Million Dollar Man reboot, from another thread:

The Six Million Dollar Man.

Keep the show a lot like the first season of the original, when it was still kind of dark and serious.

In terms of his "powers," instead of having a few limbs being bionic, I'd make his entire body augmented to support the bionic parts: a metal laced skeleton like Wolverine, nanobots in his bloodstream to sync his bionic parts (including the eye) to his nervous system, etc. And I'd give him a bionic "ear" that allows him to communicate directly with the agency and download information directly to his brain.

Then, like the original, I'd have him working for Oscar Goldman at a top secret spy agency, only more badass, making the outfit a cross between CTU on "24" and the agency on "Alias." But instead of just a secret agent I'd write him as more or less what a character like this would really be: a bionic assassin, near-terrorist, for the US government, taking on missions that the government can't handle by conventional means.

Each episode could be a one-hour action movie, with extended arcs now and then and a lot of ongoing subplots: one week they could have Steve parachute into Afghanistan to kill some Al Quaeda biggie, the next he would be sent in to rescue some hostages on a compound in the midwest.

Basically, I'd make him a bionic Jack Bauer.

Finally, in order to explain the title of the show, I'd establish that his annual salary from the government is six million bucks, and not what it cost to rebuild him.
Dear Hollywood: You officially have my permission to use this idea without paying me or giving me credit. I just really, really, want to see it.
Sounds good to me.
Old March 9 2013, 06:18 AM   #39
the G-man
Commodore

Too bad they've signed Josh Holloway for what sounds like a $6m man rip off. He would have made a great Steve Austin in a proper remake.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:26 AM   #40
Creepy Critter
Admiral

the G-man, that's a good idea.

Steve's whole body needs to be bionic, (just to clarify, in case it hasn't already been made clear enough) because an un-augmented human frame could not adequately provide leverage to utilize the strength of the bionic limbs. He'd be breaking his own back all the time. That was painfully obvious during the original series.
Old March 9 2013, 09:11 AM   #41
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
he can run longer than regular people because his heart and lungs only have to power his torso, head and right arm
They actually do mention this at some point on-screen in the origin story of either the $6 million man or the bionic woman -- I forget which.
Old March 10 2013, 03:17 AM   #42
theenglish
Rear Admiral

And they need to bring back the slow-motion bionic effect as well. It's what made the original shows so memorable and iconic; without it, you're pretty much just watching a generic superhero show.
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
the G-man, that's a good idea.

Steve's whole body needs to be bionic, (just to clarify, in case it hasn't already been made clear enough) because an un-augmented human frame could not adequately provide leverage to utilize the strength of the bionic limbs. He'd be breaking his own back all the time. That was painfully obvious during the original series.
I remember my father making this comment every single episode back in the seventies.

This is addressed in Kevin Smith's comic book remake, which (as was mentioned back when this thread was started) would make a great basis for a new series.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 03:27 AM   #43
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post

Agreed! If they did it that way I would watch.
My evil mind is thinking they should've done that in The Bionic Woman revival but for all the wrong reasons.

Or was that just a 70's thing? It seems like the Hulk was in slow motion when he hulked out and then there was whenever David Carradine used Kung Fu.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 04:02 AM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It must have already been said, but the most sure way to guarantee the success of this enterprise is to cast Steve Austin the Wrestler as Steve Austin the 6 million dollar man to pull in the WWE audience and guarantee a minimum of 80 million viewers each week.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote