RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 449
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 9 2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

You Tube Video converter

I had been using IDesktoptv for this but lately it been screwing up big time. and to doing the job, is there another way to convert YouTube video to usable stuff such as wmv's etc.?

Thanks in advance, Bill.
Old March 9 2013, 02:33 AM   #2
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: You Tube Video converter

The Realplayer Downloader and Converter work pretty well for me.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:05 AM   #3
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I use Freemake Video Downloader. Works like a charm on YouTube videos and lets you save them in a wide variety of formats.
Old March 9 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
I use Freemake Video Downloader. Works like a charm on YouTube videos and lets you save them in a wide variety of formats.
I tried to down load that one and got a whole bunch of other shit I wasn't expecting like a browser that looks like Google spelled oople?.
I'm just getting that crap cleaned up now.
Old March 9 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

I use DownloadHelper in Firefox - but I don't know the built-in conversion-features as I usually use Super© those few times I really need to convert.
Old March 9 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Freecorder is good. The latest version also likes to try & add extra crap during the installation process, but my eset app is set up to ask if I'd like to allow or deny certain connections.

Then I uninstalled one or two of the things that got installed during all that and everything's good.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
spinnerlys
Commander

What do you mean with usable? Do .mp4 or .flv files do not play back with VLC Player or Windows Media Player? I just ask, as .wmv is quite a horrible format.

Anyway, for easy downloading, you could use ClipGrab.
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 07:33 PM   #8
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
I tried to down load that one and got a whole bunch of other shit I wasn't expecting like a browser that looks like Google spelled oople?.
I'm just getting that crap cleaned up now.
Yeah, they're always trying to get you to install the Babylon toolbar or some web browser or search engine you've never heard of. When downloading and installing any piece of freeware, I'm always VERY careful about which items are checked and unchecked.
Old March 10 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I use VideoDownloadHelper in Firefox, then Anvsoft Any Video Converter to change it to whatever I want.

Both free.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Like the others, I use VideoDownloadHelper in Firefox to download the videos and Format Factory to covert them. Although, just doing a quick check on Format Factory in Google, it appears that they have started bundling a bunch of extra adware that you can't opt out of now, so you probably want to avoid it. Shame, because it's a great program, and I didn't have to deal with all that crap when I downloaded it way back when (and I don't update it).
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 10:29 AM   #11
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That's a shame. Format Factory is the most incredible converter I've ever seen. I guess I won't be updating it.
Old March 11 2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I've never used it, but I found an older version of Format Factory on Cnet. version 2.6 from Dec. 2010.
Old March 11 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
JustAFriend
Commodore

www.keepvid.com

Just dont click on the big ad buttons to download software.
Paste the youtube url in the box and click the small button on the right.
Let the Java script run and right-click on the list to download the format you want.

Super easy and you dont have to install anything on your machine.
JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 12:02 AM   #14
farmkid
Commodore

I haven't tried most of the programs mentioned here, but my experience with such programs is that they usually push adware pretty hard. For a totally ad-free experience, you can use VLC. Although usually known as a media player, it also has the ability to stream and convert videos from websites. Just choose "open network stream" from the Media menu (or Ctrl-N), paste the url of the desired video, click the arrow next to the play button and choose "convert", then choose the desired container, codec, and other options. One annoying thing, however, is that it seems to always use the .ps container by default unless you type a different extension onto the file name.

It's not as intuitive as some other programs, but in my experience it works well, no adware at all, and you probably already have the program.
Old March 12 2013, 12:45 AM   #15
spinnerlys
Commander

farmkid wrote: View Post
I haven't tried most of the programs mentioned here, but my experience with such programs is that they usually push adware pretty hard. For a totally ad-free experience, you can use VLC. Although usually known as a media player, it also has the ability to stream and convert videos from websites. Just choose "open network stream" from the Media menu (or Ctrl-N), paste the url of the desired video, click the arrow next to the play button and choose "convert", then choose the desired container, codec, and other options. One annoying thing, however, is that it seems to always use the .ps container by default unless you type a different extension onto the file name.

It's not as intuitive as some other programs, but in my experience it works well, no adware at all, and you probably already have the program.
ClipGrab is ad-free and does not install any other adware, only in Windows it seems to want to install a toolbar, which can be selected not to be installed.

Below are screenshots from ClipGrab in Mac OS X (it automatically pastes the copied video URL) and Windows (I do not have experience with ClipGrab and Windows, an installing every little piece of software in Windows is stupid):

spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote