Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 9 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Voyager Black Shore?

So I was an S&S looking at the new TNG ebook coming out and found this: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Bl.../9780743453790

I clicked it once when I first found it and saw it was coming out April 2013. I hit the back button, then realized I wanted to look at something else about this book so I clicked it again. The date changed. I have tried it 4 times now and each time the release date changes. What the?
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Voyager Black Shore?

Well, this was a book originally published in May 1997. This looks like a new e-book edition. And I'm not seeing any change in release date when I reload.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

It says April 23, 2013.
Old March 9 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
JD
Admiral

It's also number 13, and we haven't had a numbered novel outside of a minseries since the early 2000s.
On the plus side they are also finally releasing an e-book version of Greg Cox's pre-Eugenics Wars Gary Seven book Assignment: Eternity.
Old March 10 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
It says April 23, 2013.
Take a look at just under the list price: "Available on or around November 8, 2011". Just what is going on on that page????

But from what I recall, "Black Shore" was a pretty good book. I recall having read it two or three times, but he last time was back around 2002. Well I just finished #7 "Ghost Of A Chance" on my read though of the Voyager books, o I'll be at "The Black Shore" soon.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Lynx
Rear Admiral

The Voyager seasons 1-3 books are excellent and "The Black Shore" is the best Star Trek book ever. A masterpiece!

I remember when I read it the first time. I read it from beginning to end without stop. I could hardly leave it just to make coffee. It was too exciting.

Great story where all the main characters are involved and with an enemy which makes the Borg look like well-behaved school kids.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Lynx wrote: View Post
The Voyager seasons 1-3 books are excellent and "The Black Shore" is the best Star Trek book ever. A masterpiece!

I remember when I read it the first time. I read it from beginning to end without stop. I could hardly leave it just to make coffee. It was too exciting.

Great story where all the main characters are involved and with an enemy which makes the Borg look like well-behaved school kids.

That is a very bold statement. I am now going to have to read this book now and see for myself if it is the best Star Trek book ever
Old March 11 2013, 03:08 PM   #8
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Well with Voyager the majority of the numbered books were set in the first three season's, since the first numbered book with Seven of Nine was #16 Seven of Nine, and then the numbered books ended with #21.
Old March 11 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thanks! As I recall, that was my first solo TREK book, after a couple of collaborative efforts. Glad you liked it!
Old March 18 2013, 01:51 PM   #10
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I was just thinking, even though the Kazon were Voyager's biggest threat during the first three seasons on TV, we never really saw the Kazon in the books. Aside from #1 "Caretaker", "Mosaic" and "Pathways" (Kes' story), I can't recall the Kazon being in another book, aside from vague references.
Old March 18 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^That may be because the Kazon were the main threat. Tie-ins often try to avoid the main story threads of the things they tie into, in order to avoid contradictions.

On the other hand, the Kazon were featured in the second and third story arcs of Marvel's Voyager comic.

Old March 18 2013, 04:35 PM   #12
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I was just looking through the Voyager novels. Another novel that they pop up in is Day of Honor: Her Klingon Soul.

But I always got the impression that the Kazon were the "Romulans" of Voyager, always out there trying to make trouble for Voyager.
Old March 18 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

I always thought of the Kazon more as Klingons having a perpetual bad hair day.

Old March 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Paris
Commodore

I never thought the Kazon were anywhere near as intelligent as the Romulans. I always thought of them as 'klingons-lite', but never as interesting...
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 10:31 AM   #15
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

The Kazons I found were always like the Romulans and Sela in TNG---they were there planning trouble for Starfleet, but never knowing when or where they would strike.