RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 815
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2013, 04:09 PM   #2056
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

^Its Franklin Richards all over again ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:34 PM   #2057
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kitty left the eye of 616 at least three times.

According to Byrne in She Hulk explaining the Blond Phantom, if they're not writing about you, you're ageing and can even die of old age waiting for someone to start writing about you.

Kitty had her 16th birthday in Excalibur 15 or 16.

Kitty at boarding school, issue 32, had a cover date of December 1990, which as we all know doesn't mean December 1990 at all.

http://www.comics.org/series/3648/covers/

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:39 PM   #2058
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah really! I mean geez wasn't Franklin supposed to be Kitty's boyfriend in Days of Future Past? Talk about really robbing the cradle then huh? Who would have thought that a character that was born in what? the 70s? Would STILL be a little kid even in the 21st Century?

Val I have less a problem with her being young -since she really only came into the comic in the 00's. But the fact that Franklin is still only maybe a couple years older than Val Richards is starting to push crediblity.

It's like some characters are allowed to grow and age and mature and others aren't. Even Johnny Storm, who is supposed to be pretty close to Spider-Man's age is usually either written as being far younger or slightly older- now that they had the time skip with his time in the Negative Zone I suppose he IS older now - but still acts like a kid.

Seems like Sue is really the only one that's actually grown up some - since even other super heroines sort of see as the 'mom' and other super heroes as the MILF...

It does always sort of bother me how 'young' characters are never really allowed to age and mature - at this point, we really could have, and should have been reading about Spider-Man's son and/or daughter. I think that's why I used to enjoy Spider-Girl so much, it let Peter finally grow up and put the focus on the next generation. While I wasn't completely happy with the 'next gen' of some heroes - looking at you J2 with your stupid Kurt Cobain like shirt tied around your waist.

Buuuuut - I do hope that when Doc Ock gets Pete his doctorate, that sticks for a while. I truly truly hope that Peter sort of takes some of his Superior business as a lesson like "well I didn't 'waste' my life, but... y'know this wasn't the worst thing to happen after all." And uses the second chance he's given to continue what Otto started with his life. Heck, I could even see Peter maybe starting up his own little think tank thing - I mean he's already a part of the Future Foundation sorta kinda - I'd love to actually see him pushed past that 'former teen hero' thing and maybe start training others. Maybe even and this is something I've kind of thought about since the old Civil War thing - basically in some ways he becomes the mentor and 'New Tinkerer' to the next generation of super heroes. Maybe slightly more accessible than Mr. Fantastic and Tony Stark. Like even before 700's events he was basically using villan tech for good uses. It would be kind of cool to see Peter Parker even take on a new role as a "Good Guy's Tinkerer" - someone needs a new weapon or tool or upgrade to their costume, they go to Peter Parker. Which also helps keep focus off his activities as Spider-Man since even if he's seen using something in public, everyone knows that he's the tech guy to the super tights. Maybe even make Tony Stark a bit jealous as the 'go to' tech guy. Heck, even have Mary Jane as his costume designer.
Old March 8 2013, 05:41 PM   #2059
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
What I'm still trying to figure out with Kitty Pryde is - how old is she supposed to be now? I mean I get that she's an "adult" now- but let's face it, Kitty was "Acting" like an adult for a loooong time now. Heck during a good part of Excalibur she was still technically a minor - there was even a subplot during the aftermath of Fall of the Mutants when she was basically foster'd to Courtney Ross that she still had to go to school and even went to this posh boarding school. And that was in the mid-late 80s.

So let's assume that she was maaaaaaybe 17-18 by the 90s - since by the end of the 90s she was doing stuff for SHIELD and was "off to college".
Kitty's age became an issue during Warren Ellis' Excalibur run when Ellis wanted to develop a sexual relationship between Kitty and Pete Wisdom. Marvel decided that Kitty was old enough to lose her virginity to the thirtysomething Wisdom; Ellis was told to make it "tasteful," and even then their sexual relationship was less explicit than Ellis intended. (It was clear they were "doing the deed" from dialogue, but they couldn't be shown in bed together.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 05:44 PM   #2060
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Which seems to have been ignored by Whedon's run on Astonishing - either that, or Wisdom just didn't do it for like her first time with Piotr.

I assume Kitty and Spidey and other "teen/young adult" heroes are allowed to "age up" to a certain point - and then are arrested there, or at least their aging is incremental compared to where it was.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 05:53 PM   #2061
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Which is kind of sad really - I mean I know Spider-Man was originally intended to be the "loner, the sad sack, but he's a hero and does what's right" but y'know that was 50 years ago...

Considering that the MU only sort of 're-jiggers' things and doesn't wipe away decades of continuity - lookin' at YOU DC - to keep their characters 'youthful' it's sort of a double edge sword. While I wouldn't want to watch a 60 year old Peter Parker, I WOULD be down to seeing a grown adult Peter doing adult things and standing side by side with Cap and Iron Man and the others and not being looked at 'who the hell let this goofy kid in with all of us adults?'

That's why I always supported NEW or legacy 'teen'/'youth' characters like the original New Warriors and the MC2 line and even to an extent X-Force since it seemed like all of them grew up a bit.

I'm honestly quite happy to see Kitty assert her womanhood lately, finally. Where she's still young maybe, but she's mature and adult enough to say stand with Storm and Psylocke as a peer and not 'remember when we bought your first real bra?' kind of age. I'm even happy to see that younger characters like Rahne Sinclair who was younger than Kitty even for most of her time in New Mutants, grow up.

But it seems like for every one character that's allowed to grow up, there's at least one that's left permanently in one point. "Forever 21" isn't just a store to them, it's their life.
Old March 8 2013, 10:31 PM   #2062
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Officially, at this point there's only been 14-15 years since the Fantastic 4 debuted, kicking off Marvel's silver age.
Old March 8 2013, 10:39 PM   #2063
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Yeah really! I mean geez wasn't Franklin supposed to be Kitty's boyfriend in Days of Future Past? Talk about really robbing the cradle then huh? Who would have thought that a character that was born in what? the 70s? Would STILL be a little kid even in the 21st Century?
No. Kitty was with Colossus in DoFP. Franklin was Rachel's boyfriend.
Old March 8 2013, 10:40 PM   #2064
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Future Frank Richards was up a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G with future Rachel Grey.

Old March 8 2013, 10:44 PM   #2065
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Officially, at this point there's only been 14-15 years since the Fantastic 4 debuted, kicking off Marvel's silver age.
Which for a while until they deaged him and made him a gulf war veteran meant that The Punisher was the first 'hero' of the modern age.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 12:12 AM   #2066
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

which means that the first 90 something issues before franklin was born in Fntastic Four Annual 8, was 5 years of Marvel time?

This is cool

http://zak-site.com/Great-American-N...klin_chart.gif

Old March 9 2013, 12:38 AM   #2067
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
which means that the first 90 something issues before franklin was born in Fntastic Four Annual 8, was 5 years of Marvel time?

This is cool

Wouldn't that mean only five years have passed since Franklin's birth and the present day and everything from that point on took place in that five years? Also everything prior to Franklin's birth takes place over 10 years.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 01:11 AM   #2068
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

This is cool

Wow that's pathetic! LOL
Old March 9 2013, 02:02 AM   #2069
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Obviously I thought he was 10 in the here and now, no matter what that stoopid graph says... And it says that very recently that Franklin was 10 years old. My mental image of Franklin just hasn't caught up with these modern times.

Fellow member of the Future Foundation Alex Power was maybe 12 in Power Pack when Franklin was 4 and a half but Alex's younger sister is living alone in California with her alien lesbian girlfriend?

Doctor and Mrs. Power.

Worst parents ever.

Old March 9 2013, 02:08 AM   #2070
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They need to send Franklin and Val to boarding school and never mention them again, before Luke Cage's kid is older than them.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote