Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 8 2013, 05:32 PM   #61
yousirname
Commander

Re: 38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Franklin wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, while they were certainly not meant to be in the moment, in TOS and the movies, a lot of McCoy's best rants and sarcastic one-liners were actually quite humorous.
MURDERERS! ASSASSINS! NO, FRIEND, I WON'T HURT YOU! IT'S THEY WHO DO THE KILLING! DON'T RUN!
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 05:58 PM   #62
LtChange
Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
LtChange wrote: View Post
There is only one thing I don't like

Yup, cause every chase scene ever in a sci fi movie was about Anakin chasing a bounty hunter. Yup..

RAMA
I said it that I reserve the right to change my mind ....
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 06:08 PM   #63
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Two cat girls? Nice to know that female respect has come a long way since TOS.
Threesomes are disrespectful towards women? Or is it sex? Better with two cat men?
Old March 8 2013, 06:36 PM   #64
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Two cat girls? Nice to know that female respect has come a long way since TOS.
Threesomes are disrespectful towards women? Or is it sex? Better with two cat men?
I've been wondering if the translation is muddled, and what we see is him in bed with two cats curled up at the foot of his bed.

Although that may be worse than Kirk being in bed with two women. James T. Kirk, a cat person?
Old March 8 2013, 06:44 PM   #65
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jeyl's just parroting the current campaign of complaint being carried on by a couple of prudes at Trekmovie.

Now though, aren't the Trek folks just doing Skyfall?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:12 PM   #66
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

More, English speaking, reports have emerged.
No real spoilers here, just a mention of those events from the 9 minute Hobbit footage.

Star Trek into Darkness – the best Trek ever?

this afternoon we joined a select group of film journalists for a second screening, this time being treated to the opening 28 minutes plus two action sequences from later in the film.

In December I wrote that the preview audience had wanted to “peek around the edges of the screen to see what comes next.” With our wishes at least partially granted today, it’s fair to say we were all thrilled by what we saw.
We’re going to rein in our excitement and keep spoilers to the absolute minimum here, largely only repeating those we divulged in December.

The first thing to report is that the order of the scenes we saw before Christmas have been swapped, meaning the film now opens with Kirk and Spock’s mission to save a planet and its inhabitants by freezing a volcano.
This gives the film a punchier opening and also sidesteps having an opening which was deeply and too much reminiscent of Star Trek V.
Speaking of past Trek films, Star Trek into Darkness has some nice nods to the movies and shows which went before, familiar names such as Daystrom and Kelvin make an appearance.
In addition, the Star Trek: The Motion Picture flag officer uniforms have been revived with a refreshed look which nicely complements the film’s take on William Ware Theiss’s original series designs.

The cast’s portrayals of the Enterprise crew seems more confident than first time around, and each seems so familiar that it’s easy to buy into the suggestion that they grow up to be William Shatner and co.

As for Benedict Cumberbatch, his portrayal of the film’s bad guy is so stunningly mesmerising that even if he turns out not to be Khan (as some fans suspect he really is), I predict the audience are going to love him anyway.

The action sequences defy spoiler-less description, it’ll have to suffice to say that they’re bigger, louder and more energetic than anything the franchise has offered before.

As with the December screening, today’s footage was introduced by JJ Abrams’ long time collaborator Bryan Burk who revealed that, with less than 8 weeks before it’s UK premiere, the film is still being edited and poured over “frame by frame”.
http://www.seenit.co.uk/star-trek-in...-ever/0326229/

Producer Bryan Burk was on hand this afternoon to introduce the opening thirty minutes of footage and two more clips (after a very friendly, personalised introduction from Abrams himself), explaining their choice to show it in 2D. With Bad Robot known for their Nolan-scale secrecy, this taster served to considerably heighten anticipation for the final 3D product, leaving us in the dark as to the true identity of Cumberbatch’s John Harrison and any major plot points.

Throwing us straight into the action with no time spent recapping the events of the last film, the tone is set from the start – exciting and full throttle, but always with a healthy shred of comedy. While trying to save a planet from being destroyed, Spock is unfortunately dropped into the middle of a very active volcano, upping the action stakes right from the start. However, in the undergrowth below, Kirk and Bones are running away from a hostile tribe, cracking jokes and keeping it light – we’re carrying on exactly where we left off and this thankfully feels like a natural continuation.
One of the standout elements from this opening footage is the incredible use of colour. With stunning primary reds and yellows used to great effect against the backdrop of the luminescent lava that threatens to engulf our favourite Vulcan, the 3D experience screams to be seen on the biggest IMAX screen you can find.

Having completely forgotten Noel Clarke was involved, the opening sequence involving him and our first meeting with John Harrison is set in a futuristic London and, more specifically, a children’s hospital. What unfolds here sets the wheels in motion for the phenomenally impressive devastation we got to see in the third clip – all the more impressive when we remember the effects still aren’t finished. This assures that INTO DARKNESS will keep an element of grounded, human realism to it alongside its crazy creatures, and setting it in London creates a surprisingly seamless parallel to what is happening out in deepest, darkest space.

Everything you expect, we witnessed. From Spock and Kirk continued in a constant battle of wit, Kirk bed hopping and wisecracking, and space scenes that boggle the mind, this footage promises so much more. It’s exciting to learn that there is a significant progression in the amount of footage shot in IMAX following on from the success of what was achieved in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – GHOST PROTOCOL, with some stomach-churning aerial shots involving cityscapes and water guaranteed to blow your mind.

Though the editing, effects and music were not finished, J.J. Abrams’ eagerly anticipated sequel-without-a-colon looks certain to blow 2009’s STAR TREK out of the water in regards to both scale and ambition. And the best bit of all? You’re so engrossed that your mind doesn’t allow you to once think about STAR WARS.
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013...tage-reaction/

Last edited by SalvorHardin; March 8 2013 at 07:30 PM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:18 PM   #67
thumbtack
Commodore

KirkianLogic wrote: View Post
and, yes, first post!
No.
Old March 8 2013, 07:51 PM   #68
Jeyl
Commodore

Threesomes are disrespectful towards women?
No. Star Trek is. Show me a female character in this movie who won't be romantically involved or depicted as a sex object and I'll give it a pass. I can name a lot of male characters from the last movie who aren't depicted as sex objects and don't have any intimate relationships with any other character.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:55 PM   #69
Tom Servo
Commodore

No. Star Trek is. Show me a female character in this movie who won't be romantically involved or depicted as a sex object and I'll give it a pass. I can name a lot of male characters from the last movie who aren't depicted as sex objects and don't have any intimate relationships with any other character.
Um, Amanda?

Ta daaaaaa.

Your obsession with proving that that film is sexist is boggling to me. Hell it even took Uhura, who really originally wasn't part of the big 3, and elevated her to that status. She does more in that film then she ever did in the original show.

I suppose TFF is sexist too, since not only did it have a cat lady...it had a stripper cat lady.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:57 PM   #70
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

So, romantic involvement & intimate relationships are disrespectful towards women?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 08:11 PM   #71
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My post to the whiners on Trekmovie:

260. RAMA - March 8, 2013 I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading…when did Trek fans become so prudish??? How many women did Kirk have implied sex with or relations with in TOS?? Quite a few. I see nothing wrong with a single adult man or woman (no double standard here) having consensual sex as the please (within reason of course right WIlt?). The only reason that it may appear that Kirk had less sex in TOS was the fact that they skirted around network sensors and showed things like putting their boots back on, and because they didn’t have a budget to use makeup on the aliens he had sex with, which he certainly DID do…different ecosystems, different DNA notwithstanding. So give it a rest you crybabies.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...57&postcount=4

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
So, romantic involvement & intimate relationships are disrespectful towards women?

That's what I thought too. By using that logic it's disrespectful towards Vulcans to be in a relationship with a female because Spock is the only Vulcan in the crew.

Also by the logic on the Trekmovie thread it is disrespectful towards men if they are in a threesome as well.

I think it's kind of inhernet in TOS that the cast is mostly male, and it was an element that didnt change, but the women get more screen time now.
Old March 8 2013, 08:36 PM   #72
KirkianLogic
Ensign

thumbtack wrote: View Post
and, yes, first post!
No.
Uhh, what do you mean "no"? That was my first post on this forum.

Oh, and, btw, thanks for the warm welcome
KirkianLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #73
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

LtChange wrote: View Post
There is only one thing I don't like

Except:

So, really, other than all that, it's exactly the same because it's a chase scene involving some humorous dialogue, which has never been done before except in Star Wars and Star Trek.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

So basically he's now the comedy routine. Along with Scotty.
Sure, if you want to baselessly extrapolate McCoy's entire role in a two-hour film based on the four-minute vignette I very briefly outlined above and the single word I used to describe his dialogue in that part, I guess you could say that. But that would be rather ridiculous, and not what I was suggesting with my comment at all.
How do you know I didn't mean that he's a comedy routine in the first 38 mins?
Because you would have specified that if that's what you meant, and because your comment makes it sound as if that the only role he's relegated to play in the film.
Old March 8 2013, 09:29 PM   #74
Flake
Commodore

Fans before 7th March 2013: ARGH WHY THE SECRECY, WHYYYYYYYYY its killing the movie. JJ ABRAMS YOUR SUCH AN ASSHOLE this is ruining everything? WHY WHY THE SECRECY!! DAMN YOU JJ ABRAMSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Fans after 7th March 2013: OMFG OMG! TOO much information! This is too much! I cannae take anymore !!! GO back to secrecy please PLEASE JJ! DAMN YOU, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELLL!!!!! BAD ROBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 09:59 PM   #75
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I wonder what the reaction would be if these "cat women" in bed with Kirk turned out to be cameos by Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwether.