RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 552
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 27 2013, 03:19 AM   #16
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: What is more embarrassing?

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
Why can't people tell that, in this instance, the audience is laughing at Captain Kirk?
Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as Shatner's been laughing at himself for the last 25 years.

Takeru wrote: View Post
Should HAVE! I'm sorry, I'm usually not a grammar nazi and god knows I make enough mistakes myself but this "would of, should of, could of" crap is like cancer growing through the internet, it has to be stopped, it's just wrong, it doesn't even make sense.
Hear, hear!

(Not "here, here." That's how you call a pet.)
Old February 27 2013, 06:33 AM   #17
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

William Shatner is 81 years old. Leave him alone. I bet you won't look that good at 81.
Old February 27 2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The only people who laugh at Shatner anymore are ****ing idiots who probably never had a clue. You tell them I said so.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 07:35 AM   #19
_C_
Commander

^I concur. Actors age. People age. I think it would be worse if they tried to use makeup or CGI to try and make him look like he did back in his younger days.
Old March 3 2013, 09:38 PM   #20
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I don't understand why anybody found that stuff "embarrassing." I accept that some did, if you say so, but I don't understand why. All shows have good moments and bad ones, and so long as the good ones greatly outweigh the bad ones (which is the case in nearly all Trek), I don't see what there is to be embarrassed about. If a show is bad enough to be embarrassing, why not just quit being a fan?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:14 AM   #21
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

While the first looks ridiculously bad, no one outside of hardcore Trekkies ever saw it. There was a reason the show was being cancelled, after all.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 08:42 AM   #22
HaplessCrewman
Commander

[QUOTE=scotpens;7737283]
Why can't people tell that, in this instance, the audience is laughing at Captain Kirk?
Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as Shatner's been laughing at himself for the last 25 years.

Nothing wrong with Shatner laughing at himself - it's the laughing at the character of Captain Kirk that I find unfortunate.
Old March 8 2013, 03:53 PM   #23
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Nothing wrong with Shatner laughing at himself - it's the laughing at the character of Captain Kirk that I find unfortunate.
Why? He's a fictional character. I'm sure he won't mind.
Atticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:03 PM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Never been embarrassed to be a Trekkie. All the fuckwits around me like reality TV and soaps instead, they should be embarrassed.

Everybody I know thinks of me as the Doctor Who and Star Trek guy. Rather support these than any dumb sports team.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 04:54 PM   #25
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It was embarrassing trying to shoehorn in a TNG element into a terrible episode of ENT.
Old March 8 2013, 10:33 PM   #26
Mojochi
Commodore

Shatner has earned the right to wear that uniform any damn time he wants, for any reason. He can be buried in the effing thing as far as I'm concerned

The Frakes/Sirtis thing still makes my stomach turn a bit
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 11:46 PM   #27
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I think Sirtis still looks good. Frakes has let himself go, but he mostly directs now, no? No need to look like he did when he was 30.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 12:34 AM   #28
StalwartUK
Commander

I've always wondered why they couldn't show Riker and Troi on the USS Titan or something. At least then they wouldn't have to pretend they were younger than they really were. Probably cheaper to show the Enterprise-D (not to mention more nostalgic) than having to design a new ship.

As for Shatner, as long as it comes with a paycheck I don't think he minds much.
Old March 9 2013, 12:39 AM   #29
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Atticus wrote: View Post
Why? He's a fictional character. I'm sure he won't mind.
You're talking about a character that brings down alien civilizations because he does not agree with their world view. See Return of the Archons, The Apple, etc. I daresay he would mind, sir!
Old March 9 2013, 03:56 AM   #30
Lance
Commodore

StalwartUK wrote: View Post
I've always wondered why they couldn't show Riker and Troi on the USS Titan or something. At least then they wouldn't have to pretend they were younger than they really were. Probably cheaper to show the Enterprise-D (not to mention more nostalgic) than having to design a new ship.
I've often thought this myself. Certainly I hate the useless attempts to shoehorn it into an existing TNG episode framework. If it had been set on the Titan they could have simply had Riker facing a brand new crisis of confidence and looking for answers in the holodeck, it didn't have to be the Pegasus incident in TNG season seven. Structurally the episode would have been exactly the same.

I think you're right. They were going for the nostalgia angle. But (for me at least) it ended up being a fail. The more they tried to convince me, the less convinced I actually was...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote