TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 8 2013, 05:09 AM   #136
yousirname
Commander

Re: Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Rocky IV is pretty metaphor-licious, I wouldn't call it 'smart' by any manner of means.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:42 AM   #137
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Also, the holodeck came from the animated Star Trek episode "The Practical Joker" way back in 1974 and not The Next Generation. So there
Yep. Then again, Burton's is more a case of, "Hey! I'm still relevant over here..."
Amasov wrote: View Post
Didn't Orci say the original timeline is still there?
Nope. Actually, due to his success with Lost, Abrams purchased time-travel technology. He destroyed the original timeline, changed history, raped childhoods and worst of all... my Star Trek won't play in my Blu-Ray player! Well, the VHS ones won't... it's a conspiracy!!
Old March 8 2013, 07:54 AM   #138
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
[but let's face it. since the 90's movies have been going into a steady decline.
Lincoln $180 million as of March 5th

Argo hits $200 million

That said, both films are very good as well as commercially successful.

I believe JJ makes very good commercially successful films as well. That's why Disney hired him to do wars as well.
Facts have no place in threads bashing Abrams and modern films in general.
Well, facts have no place in a post that mentions Argo, at any rate.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:54 PM   #139
The Wormhole
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
A metaphor is still a metaphor. And TUC is layered in metaphor.
But its not a smart use of metaphor.
Meh, the use of a metaphor alone at least generates the illusion of intelligence. And if there's one thing I've learned in life pretending to be intelligent wroks out very well indeed.
Old March 8 2013, 02:57 PM   #140
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Ben Affleck is a very good mainstream Hollywood director and Spielberg showed he's still got it with Lincoln. Plenty of great directors out there so don't dismiss modern mainstream cinema on the strength of JJ Abrams' oeuvre. People like him and Michael Bay make their dumb stuff as loud as possible in order to make the audience docile and defeated enough to accept it.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:10 PM   #141
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Ben Affleck is a very good mainstream Hollywood director and Spielberg showed he's still got it with Lincoln. Plenty of great directors out there so don't dismiss modern mainstream cinema on the strength of JJ Abrams' oeuvre. People like him and Michael Bay make their dumb stuff as loud as possible in order to make the audience docile and defeated enough to accept it.
This is one of the most poorly thought out comments I've seen on this board in a long time. Neither Affleck or Spielberg made big-budget action adventure films the last time out.

Audiences have certain expectations when they go to movies that are science-fiction or space opera. They want fast paced films with lots of explosions, it simply is what it is.

I simply don't know any of these "defeated" ticket buyers you continue to go on about. People aren't going to buy tickets to films they don't want to see, it is as simple as that.
Old March 8 2013, 03:12 PM   #142
Tom Servo
Commodore

This is one of the most poorly thought out comments I've seen on this board in a long time. Neither Affleck or Spielberg made big-budget action adventure films the last time out.

Audiences have certain expectations when they go to movies that are science-fiction or space opera. They want fast paced films with lots of explosions, it simply is what it is.

I simply don't know any of these "defeated" ticket buyers you continue to go on about. People aren't going to buy tickets to films they don't want to see, it is as simple as that.
Wait so you're saying Abrams DIDN'T break into your house and beat you with a pipe and loud music till you broke down and saw his film?

Shit. I could probably sue for that.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:15 PM   #143
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post

Wait so you're saying Abrams DIDN'T break into your house and beat you with a pipe and loud music till you broke down and saw his film?

I hear he will be doing abductions and anal probings this time around.
We should expect him sometime in the next month.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:16 PM   #144
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Abrams tried, but LeVar Burton swooped in to save the day!
Old March 8 2013, 03:17 PM   #145
Jeyl
Commodore

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
If anything, the potential continued success of AbramsTrek may give a ray of hope to some future ST projects -- perhaps maybe a TNG re-visit in several years (albeit with a different cast, most likely).
Oh, yeah. That's going to be something to look forward to. The same stuff all over again. Don't broaden the universe and don't take any chances. Stick with what's familiar and recycle the same old tropes all over again.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:17 PM   #146
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

DarthTom wrote: View Post
[but let's face it. since the 90's movies have been going into a steady decline.
Lincoln $180 million as of March 5th

Argo hits $200 million

That said, both films are very good as well as commercially successful.

I believe JJ makes very good commercially successful films as well. That's why Disney hired him to do wars as well.
To elaborate, I meant that "most" movies not all. There is the occasional Gem.
People in the 80s thought that about the 60s. People in the 60s though that about the 40s. People 20 years from now will say that about today.

Nostalgia. It's a helluva drug.
Old March 8 2013, 04:53 PM   #147
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

And I don't share your taste in movies at all, thankfully. I'd also say that the great box office success of movies like Inception, Prometheus and Looper shows that audiences will also like more ideas driven sci-fi/fantasy movies instead of Transformers or Abrams Trek level of cookie cutter runarounds.

Dumb people are the majority and I understand from a financial perspective why big expensive movies should be aimed at them but I shouldn't really be happy about it. I loved The Hobbit and saw it 5 times in the cinema over Christmas. Big budget blockbusters don't have to resemble what Orci and Kurtzman write. Audiences for a while were so defeated that they just ate it up but people like Christopher Nolan have tried to elevate the blockbuster action movie in to something slightly more cerebral. I'd like Star Trek to follow suit.

These types of replies are so formulaic and empty. Reminds me of on Star Wars forums how people would reply to anybody that didn't gush about The Phantom Menace with posts like "Did George Lucas rape your childhood or something!?. It's not even a valid point and offers nothing to the discussion.
Old March 8 2013, 05:12 PM   #148
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

Dumb people are the majority and I understand from a financial perspective why big expensive movies should be aimed at them but I shouldn't really be happy about it. I loved The Hobbit and saw it 5 times in the cinema over Christmas. Big budget blockbusters don't have to resemble what Orci and Kurtzman write.
Comparing a work of Tolken to a work of Orci makes invalidates pretty much you ever have, and ever will do.
Old March 8 2013, 05:18 PM   #149
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Comparing a work of Tolken to a work of Orci makes invalidates pretty much you ever have, and ever will do.
I struggled to even make out what this post means as it's such a mess but I think I got it.

Tolkien is uh, dead. He didn't have any involvement with the movie.
Old March 8 2013, 05:18 PM   #150
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I went volutarily. Those visits of encouragement were only for those who needed to be encouraged to go see it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote