Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 25 2013, 11:52 PM   #106
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Would TMP have been better had they used the TOS uniforms?

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The only established precedent about Starfleet uniforms is that they frequently change. In light of any onscreen explanation for why they change, all we can go on is speculation and change just for the sake of change is as valid an idea as any other.
No, it's really not as valid as any other.
Of course it is. You may not like it, but things do happen for arbitrary reasons or simply for reasons you disagree with.
Old February 25 2013, 11:58 PM   #107
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The only established precedent about Starfleet uniforms is that they frequently change. In light of any onscreen explanation for why they change, all we can go on is speculation and change just for the sake of change is as valid an idea as any other.
No, it's really not as valid as any other. Large organizations with vast assets and many thousands of personnel do not make large institutional changes just for the sake of change, that's just not realistic.
Yet we watch Starfleet do it all the time.
Old February 26 2013, 12:06 AM   #108
J.T.B.
Commodore

Of course it is. You may not like it, but things do happen for arbitrary reasons or simply for reasons you disagree with.
We may not know the reason, but that's not the same as saying that things happen for no real reason other than change for its own sake. If you think Starfleet is the kind of organization where the top admiral can wake up one morning and say, "I think we need a change. Fancy maroon uniforms for everyone, make it so!" then you picture a very different type of organization than I do.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:39 AM   #109
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

We may not know the reason, but that's not the same as saying that things happen for no real reason other than change for its own sake.
But change for its own sake is indeed as real a reason as any other.
If you think Starfleet is the kind of organization where the top admiral can wake up one morning and say, "I think we need a change. Fancy maroon uniforms for everyone, make it so!" then you picture a very different type of organization than I do.
I see Starfleet as it's own thing. And truly, the reason for the change of uniforms in TWOK could really be as simple as a decision from TPTB to give Starfleet personnel a public makeover after the TMP uniforms had run their course.
Old February 26 2013, 12:43 AM   #110
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Large organizations with vast assets and many thousands of personnel do not make large institutional changes just for the sake of change, that's just not realistic.
And yet ST:TMP established that Starfleet vessels had "spray 'n' wear" clothing. See the Ilia Probe cool-down sequence. (The novelization and background press releases explained a lot of what we were seeing.) Surely uniform redesigns in this era are a simple matter of changing a computer command?

How often do we see airlines change all their flight attendants uniforms? Fashions change quickly and corporate uniforms can become dated if they don't keep pace.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 09:51 PM   #111
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

TMP never expressed explicitly that all the uniforms were "spray 'n' wear", though. Just the robe the Ilia probe wore was even presented as such. As the other uniforms put on the appearance of pajamas, or worse, underwear in far too many instances, it's possible that Starfleet decided to move away from a style that at least looked flimsy and easily damaged, and toward one that, for all its formality, would stand up to constant wear.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 09:45 AM   #112
Maurice
Vice Admiral

"Looked flimsy" doesn't mean actually flimsy, any more than the other uniforms would "stand up to constant wear".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:25 AM   #113
mos6507
Captain

Think of how often a TOS shirt got torn to shreds. They even joked about that cliche in Galaxy Quest. Trek uniforms were always flimsy and very rarely did they use those excursion jackets. The Khan style uniforms looked like they could take the most beating, and the wardrobe dept did get a lot of mileage out of them. Supposedly some of the uniforms originally created for Khan were still in use through Trek VI, although they were fraying by then.
Old March 5 2013, 03:24 PM   #114
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Has anybody made the necessary comment that had they used the TOS uniforms, the movie would have been enhanced by the audience being able to enjoy viewing the shapely legs of the female Enterprise crew.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 04:35 PM   #115
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Think of how often a TOS shirt got torn to shreds. They even joked about that cliche in Galaxy Quest. Trek uniforms were always flimsy and very rarely did they use those excursion jackets. The Khan style uniforms looked like they could take the most beating, and the wardrobe dept did get a lot of mileage out of them. Supposedly some of the uniforms originally created for Khan were still in use through Trek VI, although they were fraying by then.
TOS uniforms could have been made out of Kevlar-reinforced denim and Kirk's shirt still would have gotten torn regularly. It was a common trope in 1960s TV action series for the leading man to get stripped of his shirt by his heroics.

I concede that the TWOK uniforms looked heavier and possibly more durable, but they also looked terribly overwrought. If those jackets had been dress jackets for a standard duty uniform underneath, I think the look would have been more compatible with previous efforts to represent quasi-military uniforms in the Trek universe. Imagine if, after Kirk's inspection of the Enterprise, the crew ditched the jackets to reveal something more familiar and less formal underneath.
Old March 5 2013, 10:48 PM   #116
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant Commander

Psion wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
TOS uniforms could have been made out of Kevlar-reinforced denim and Kirk's shirt still would have gotten torn regularly. It was a common trope in 1960s TV action series for the leading man to get stripped of his shirt by his heroics.

I concede that the TWOK uniforms looked heavier and possibly more durable, but they also looked terribly overwrought. If those jackets had been dress jackets for a standard duty uniform underneath, I think the look would have been more compatible with previous efforts to represent quasi-military uniforms in the Trek universe. Imagine if, after Kirk's inspection of the Enterprise, the crew ditched the jackets to reveal something more familiar and less formal underneath.
The Turtleneck shirts with the matching vest Kirk wore on the Genesis Cave would have made good daily wear.
Old March 8 2013, 08:24 AM   #117
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

This is an "If Only" speculation, but it's possible that someone somewhere along the line had that intention. I for one would have liked to see it.
Old March 9 2013, 07:02 AM   #118
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant Commander

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
This is an "If Only" speculation, but it's possible that someone somewhere along the line had that intention. I for one would have liked to see it.
Not sure if your referring to my post but, in ST III when Savvik wasn't wearing her big WOK excursion Jacket, she had the turtleneck with vest outfit on under.
Old March 9 2013, 10:29 AM   #119
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Uniforms? That was one of the least of that movie's problems. Glacial pacing, dull characters, and a story that was nothing more than Nomad redux were some of the things needed to make that snooze fest a better film than uniforms.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 09:25 PM   #120
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

CaptainMurdock, I was indeed referring to your post Directly Above Mine.