Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 7 2013, 11:53 PM   #46
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: The new SimCity...*sigh*

When they shut down, someone will have cracked it and you can still play it.
Old March 8 2013, 12:50 AM   #47
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's my point, you have to illegaly crack it because stuff like online DRM is an annoyingly stupid concept.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:03 AM   #48
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Normally, I would agree, but here we have a game that doesn't even save locally. How are you going to crack that? While probably not impossible, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect someone to bust out over a weekend.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:00 AM   #49
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I have been reading the Facebook comments and most users don't understand the real meaning of "always online" and others didn't even know they had it. So hopefully this will fuck EA over, but I doubt it.
Old March 8 2013, 05:32 AM   #50
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

A good article on SimCity and their DRM - SimCity Burning: A Warning to Microsoft, Sony, and All Publishers on The Dangers of Always-Online DRM

It has been out for three days, and SimCity is broken. Seriously, unplayably broken. As a long-time fan who's been looking forward to this week for many years, this is a huge, frustrating disappointment. The worst part? The main issue isn't with the game itself, but an entirely unnecessary and completely avoidable always-online DRM system that's keeping millions of fans from playing the game they paid for, when they were told they'd be able to play it. If there is one good thing that comes of this disaster, let it be yet another lesson to publishers like EA and Activision/Blizzard, and platform owners Microsoft and Sony, who may be considering always-on DRM in next-gen consoles or PC games: don't even think about it. It's a pipe dream, and to attempt it is to invite an enthusiasm-draining catastrophe with every single game launch.

Here's what the past 10 years of online DRM has taught anybody who's paid the slightest bit of attention: it never works right, at least at first. And while it might be largely successful in stopping piracy (as Diablo III effectively has), it exacts a terrible price: the trust and enthusiasm of the most loyal and enthusiastic gamers. These are the people who are dying to get their hands on new games, the ones who eagerly spend on pricey collectors' editions and DLC – all of it sight-unseen. If treated well, their word of mouth buzz can generate more game sales than a site like IGN ever could. They are also the ones who will always be affected most by the inevitable screwups that always-online DRM will bring.
Old March 8 2013, 05:39 AM   #51
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Cities XL looks pretty good right now.
Old March 8 2013, 06:58 AM   #52
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Always connected to the Internet =/= removing single-player.
Since most people are already always connected to the internet, I don't understand the gripe.
What happens wheen EA announces SimCity 2015 and kill their existing SimCity servers? This is EA who HAVE killed servers for games only a year or two old.
In the even shorter term, there are any number of reasons the internet might go down even at home. Then there's travel. Depending on where and why, taking your laptop and doing a little gaming isn't unreasonable. In those conditions internet is even more unreliable/untrustworthy.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:22 AM   #53
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Not to mention if you want to do some gaming while literally on the road, in a car/plane/bus/stagecoach.
Old March 8 2013, 02:52 PM   #54
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Always connected to the Internet =/= removing single-player.
Some of the reviews I've read have said that the game is balanced for multiplayer. Because the cities are so small, they can't do everything you might want, so you have to have multiple cities and trade between them. While it's possible to play a region by yourself, the asynchronous nature of the cities makes that repetitive and time consuming (especially now that the option to fast-forward has been disabled).

For example, this quote:
Yes, it is entirely possible to play SimCity on your own, without any other players, but this is not really ideal. If you're managing multiple cities in a region, that turns an already intense time suck into a more stressful endeavor. I did not enjoy the act of trying to balance multiple cities in a region by myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm generally of the mindset that games like SimCity should be played in tomb-like isolation, but that isn't how this SimCity is meant to be played. It's meant to be played with friends. To try and fight against its multiplayer is to fight against the very nature of this game's design.
Granted, you've actually played the game so you know whether or not that's the case better than I do, but I've read that sort of commentary in a couple of places.

Maybe. The region stuff, which is a huge part of this game, is handled entirely on the servers and the only people that have access to that code are the guys at Maxis. To make a working cracked version of the game, hackers are going to have to reverse engineer whatever the servers are doing purely by monitoring packets being transmitted between the game and the servers. Depending on how intricate the regional stuff is, which is something we don't really know right now, it could take years to get a working crack running, and even then it probably wont perfectly emulate the game's servers. Alternatively, someone at Maxis could anonymously leak the region code to facilitate the creation of a crack, but that's unlikely.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Cities XL looks pretty good right now.
If only I could upgrade roads in that game without having to demolish everything on either side. It's especially annoying if you use curved roads everywhere to create an organic look to the city, like I normally do. This new SimCity doesn't seem to have that problem.
Old March 8 2013, 02:55 PM   #55
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

So, has anyone tried to play together yet? I wouldn't mind joining a region.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:18 PM   #56
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Hell, i'm pissed that all the early stuff i read said it was going to be Win and OSX.. saw the box.. PC only.. Fail..
Old March 8 2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

If you've kept up with it, you would've known for the past couple of months that the March 5 release was going to be PC only.

Not a fail on their part.
Old March 8 2013, 06:12 PM   #58
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
^ Not to mention if you want to do some gaming while literally on the road, in a car/plane/bus/stagecoach.
I was hoping to play it on a train trip that's 9-10 hours long without wifi. I guess that isn't happening now.
Old March 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #59
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Once I'm finished with Tomb Raider (A really great game), Ill try SimCity again - if I can.

Look me up on Origin: AerodromeLander.
Old March 8 2013, 10:41 PM   #60
ATimson
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I was hoping to play it on a train trip that's 9-10 hours long without wifi. I guess that isn't happening now.
"Now"? That was never on the cards...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote