New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2013, 02:56 AM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

I've seen the car in at least one of the BTS videos, definitely a very Mad Max feel to it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:42 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

IO9 has a spoiler free review up for the first three episodes of the series.
Highlights:
IO9 wrote:
It's a giant cast of Alpha personalities which (thankfully) yields a lot of unexpected scenarios. Every time we expect Datak to go wild, he goes quiet. These characters are smarter than your average Stargate scientist.
The smaller plots are well thought out and exceptionally clever. Whether or not the larger story will pan out, remains to be seen. But so far we're impressed with the week-to-week drama.
When you get over the initial shock that this is a show basically set in the Mos Eisley Cantina, you then realize, holy cow this a show set in the Mos Eisley Cantina!
The large Firefly fan base must disconnect from any sort of similarities that crop up on the new series if they're going to even remotely enjoy Defiance
Get a new trope. While we can forgive necessary cliche characters for the sake of a pilot, we can not excuse the hooker with the heart of gold. The big meeting place/restaurant in town is a brothel where people conduct "sex business." It's eye-roll-inducing and hard to watch.
Defiance also suffers from a bad case of Phantom Menace. There is just too much CG shit going on at once. SLOW DOWN
On a Syfy scale of Battlestar Galactica to Piranhaconda, Defiance is in the upper middle. It's got heaps of promise and an amazing cast.
EDIT: I forgot to post the newest behind the scenes featurette: Making of Part VI: Nolan and Irisa. Focused on Grant Bowler's Nolan, and Stephanie Leonidas' Irisa.

Last edited by JD; March 13 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old March 17 2013, 02:05 AM   #33
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ I've only previously seen Leonidas in MirrorMask, but I really like what I've seen of her character here. Looking forward to the show!
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 02:28 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Stephanie Leonidas was the most impressive thing about MirrorMask, but I'm disappointed she won't be using her lovely natural accent in Defiance.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:25 PM   #35
Worf2DS9
Writer

^Yeah, aren't aliens supposed to have English accents? Or is that just evil aliens? Though I suppose if it makes sense if she was raised by non-accented Nolan since she was a child, any accent she might have had probably would have faded as she grew up.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 06:16 PM   #36
JD
Admiral

A new character focused making of video has been released. This one focusing on the mayor, Amanda who is played by Julie Benz, and her sister, the local madam and owner of the NeedWant, Mia Kirshner's Kenya.

Last edited by JD; March 18 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old March 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #37
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I just wanna see Julie Benz try to act like a tough resistance fighter with that baby-doll voice of hers. That's all I wanna see.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 03:47 PM   #38
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Spoiler free review of Syfy’s Defiance – A refreshing science fiction space western
lots of single photos of the characters at the link and also a group shot.
it discusses the main characters and also The Alien Races.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:20 PM   #39
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

This could be the Babylon 5 for the current generation. Well, at least in initial setup and general feel. Just caught up on all the videos and that's the impression I get - a whole ton of developed backstory and universe building before a single episode is shown, and a general story layout involving a very diverse set of characters.

This has been done right (B5) and wrong (Andromeda, IMO). I really hope it doesn't end up the latter.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 10:46 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^Andromeda went wrong because its studio a) gave it a shoestring budget and b) fired the showrunner and replaced him with someone who didn't know what the hell he was doing. I don't see either of those happening here. Apparently Defiance is getting a huge budget for a Syfy show (because of the co-production with the game company), and since its showrunners are veterans of Caprica that the network has already brought back into the fold, I'd say that's a good sign that Syfy is willing to keep them.

Then again, now that I've mentioned the former, it occurs to me that if the game tanks, that could hurt the show's survival odds.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:03 PM   #41
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I'm interested to see how Defiance works out. It's the first series coming to SyFy in a long time I've been genuinely interested in.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:30 AM   #42
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

$40M for the show, $50M for the game, interesting world we live in these days.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:38 AM   #43
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 24 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Babylon 5 had a shoestring budget too, and barely managed to eke out its planned five year run despite PTEN's withdrawl. Andromeda was unfortunately saddled with a studio that has a history of dumping the showrunners for cheaper, more controllable producers(Beastmaster, Earth Final Conflict, etc.) and IMO that was the real cause of its failure despite some really promising premises.

Yeah, if Defiance the game doesn't work out, financing for the show will dry up pretty quickly IMO - or else it would face some pretty heavy cuts in budget that could doom it anyway. This is a pretty big experiment in new media and I hope it works out, since all this stuff we've seen so far is pretty promising. If it works, I further hope that it could become a formula for success that could lead to some more classic sci-fi coming back in some form.

Anyone remember when we used to watch shows involving people flying around in a spaceship and exploring new worlds, and not just trying to survive in one post-apocalyptic version of Earth or another?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:18 AM   #45
JD
Admiral

Syfy has posted the first 14 minutes of the first episode on their website. I watched it earlier today and I loved it.