Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 8 2013, 02:02 AM   #31
gottacook
Commander

Re: Did You Love Other Vintage Sci-Fi Shows?

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
THE IMMORTAL (Chris George): a blatant retread of The Fugitive, but holy crap, did I love this short lived series. Amazing Dominic Frontiere music and excellent, tough performances by Christopher George. It didn't deserve a second season because the producers didn't even TRY to make it new, but it sure had great fights and chases.
I not only watched this series, I taped the audio of the end of the final episode from January or February 1971. Most unusual for that time, they actually got to do a final episode (wherein Chris George finds his brother, who doesn't turn out to have the same blood); Frontiere got to write a huge, long final chord with harps, etc., at the very end.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:15 AM   #32
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
You're welcome. It's a bit dated and the model work is laughable but the stories are pretty good. BTW, Space: 1999 was originally intended as a sequel to this of sorts.
I wouldn't call the model-work on UFO laughable. Yeah, there's only so much you can do without motion-control, but the detail in the models is as high as anything you'd see later out of ILM.

They were using Dinky Toys, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

I loved it in the 70s but now I just have to laugh at it. It reminds me of the Jupiter 2 models I used to make out of two paper plates, scotch tape, and toothpicks. Or the phasers made of duct tape and aluminium foil.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:30 AM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Actually, this is what''s laughable.
Old March 8 2013, 06:28 AM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Derek Meddings, the miniature fx guy on UFO, went on to do amazing work for the Superman and James Bond movies. I have several times been surprised to learn that a big "outdoor" scene I thought was real, was actually one of his huge, in-studio diarama-type miniature sets.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:25 PM   #35
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I saw TOS props at an exhibition - up close they were rubbish!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:08 PM   #36
Metryq
Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
One of the dangers of HDTV, too.

I remember visiting the set of MILLER'S COURT, a WCVB production in Boston many years ago—in the prehistoric NTSC days. It was a minimalist set in a black limbo featuring a bench with legal books in a bookcase, a jury stand and other trappings of a US court room.

What looked like lathed woodwork was in fact styrofoam painted brown with poster paint. The bookshelf was a studio flat with no depth at all—the "shelves" were strips of lathing and the hollow of the shelves were flat black poster paint with the bindings of retired legal books hot-glued in place. On camera it all looked very substantial. In person the economical diorama was evident from a distance.

TOS was very much a theater of the mind.
Old March 8 2013, 03:08 PM   #37
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
As model builder Steve Neill once stated to me they were good enough for film.....
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 10:36 PM   #38
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Back when I was growing up and Star Trek seemed to be on all the time - so that's the late seventies and early eighties - the other shows I watched and loved included Doctor Who, Blakes 7, Sapphire and Steel, The Tomorrow People, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and re-runs of UFO, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Joe 90 etc. I still love most of those shows - and indeed I'd regard Doctor Who, Blakes 7, UFO and Sapphire and Steel still easily in the top ten sci-fi shows of all time.

The weird irony (for me) is that I saw Space: 1999 (series 1 only) at the time of its original broadcast - and though I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say that I loved it, nor did it particularly stay with me as anything but a vague memory. I had a moment of total epiphany that day when I rediscovered it as an adult (25th April 1992 - seared in the memory!). I'd certainly now regard it as the best "space opera" type show ever made.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 11:18 PM   #39
publiusr
Commodore

I also loved Kolchak The Night Stalker Sometime between McMillan & Wife and Harry-O--right before The legend of Boggy Creek.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:36 AM   #40
scotpens
Vice Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call the model-work on UFO laughable. Yeah, there's only so much you can do without motion-control, but the detail in the models is as high as anything you'd see later out of ILM.

I loved it in the 70s but now I just have to laugh at it. It reminds me of the Jupiter 2 models I used to make out of two paper plates, scotch tape, and toothpicks. Or the phasers made of duct tape and aluminium foil.
The spinning-top UFOs did look a bit silly, but that show had some excellent miniature work considering it was made in the late 1960s on a TV budget.

Old March 9 2013, 07:26 AM   #41
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Lost in Space was unwatchable crap. Even as a kid I hated it.
Dr. Smith?

Buck was sort of OK but Twiki was just too annoying.
I could not stand Buck Rogers; the stupid meter used on BSG was turned on high in BR. Gil Gerard stuffing his diet-challenged ass in a spacesuit, or wearing open necked shirts to expose his hairy chest was only part of the disaster. The set decorations looked like something only seen at a sleazy Hugh Hefner party (circa 1979), and Twiki...Lost in Space's Dr. Smith never had moments as annoying as Twiki's.

Logan's run was just about O.K.
I remember being thrilled a LR series was in the works, since the film was fascinating in several ways. Unfortunately, the series lacked the urgency/danger of the film, as the TV Francis was nowhere near as threatening as the film version. When your chief antagonist is watered down, where can the series go from there?

The Invaders quickly became tedious and repetitive.
I thought it dealt with a few big ideas for the era. Perhaps it would have worked as a TV movie, rather than a series.

Space 1999 still looks great, but the science was crud and the stories went downhill in the second season.

UFO was very good.
I would like to see that again.

Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits and Night Stalker never appealed to me.
All winners...well, Kolchak the Night Stalker was at its best when not ripping its own TV movies set up (no one believes the supernatural element of a crime / Kolchak goes it alone / story buried). R.I.N.G. (A.I. robot) was an example of a novel, unexpected story, with a direct conflict with the government.
Old March 9 2013, 03:14 PM   #42
Warped9
Admiral

Other than TOS?

Before I found Star Trek in 1970 I knew Lost In Space, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Invaders, The Time Tunnel, Land Of The Giants, The Adventures Of Superman, the Flash Gordon serials, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Stingray. After finding Star Trek one by one they all fell off my radar. After TOS only UFO and The Six Million Dollar Man resonated.

Over the years I've revisited quite a few of them and (at least) moderately revised my opinion.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea - this straddles a line (in the first season) between respectable and absurdity. Season 1 just managed to keep from getting too stupid. It's. a mixed bag in the first season, but there are some solid efforts in there.

Lost In Space - a lot of fun when I was a kid, but now it's just too goofy. The first season remains okay overall, but it's a definitely slide after the first handful of episodes. The prominence of Smith the clown ruined the show. I also think the show looks better in b&w and the Jupiter II is still damned cool.

UFO - revisited this recently and except for a couple of dull episodes I still think it's pretty solid, the riot of colours notwithstanding. I still would like to see this revisited respectfully as a new series reboot or a feature film.

The Six Million Dollar Man - I revisited this about a year ago, the first two seasons anyway, and while not brilliant I was pleasantly surprised how well much of it held up. Steve Austin might well have been one of the last if not the last old-fashioned hero. Today he'd be written full of angst. He was Superman with technological twist. I had hoped the abbreviated show Now And Again could have been a decent SMDM reboot, but it wasn't to be.

The Adventures Of Superman - yeah, it's dated, but I still love George Reeves as Superman/Clark and Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane. First season in b&w is best.

I'd like to revisit The Time Tunnel and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Old March 9 2013, 06:54 PM   #43
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
. . . I could not stand Buck Rogers; the stupid meter used on BSG was turned on high in BR. Gil Gerard stuffing his diet-challenged ass in a spacesuit, or wearing open necked shirts to expose his hairy chest was only part of the disaster. The set decorations looked like something only seen at a sleazy Hugh Hefner party (circa 1979) . . .
Hell, sometimes the entire show looked like a sleazy Hugh Hefner party.

Old March 9 2013, 08:10 PM   #44
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

The original STAR TREK is still my first, true love. My mom remembers me rushing into the living room as a toddler whenever the first few bars of Courage's theme played. But there are a few other vintage shows that I love from that period, both science fiction and not. Here's a few:

Lost in Space: The first few episodes of the first season and the original pilot showcase such potential that's ultimately wasted as the show degenerated into typical Irwin Allen schluck and the focus was more on the trio of Will, Dr. Smith and the Robot. But those first group of episodes were wonderful stuff.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: The B&W first season also had potential that's washed away as it becomes a sea monster of the week show. The conflict between Admiral Nelson and Captain Crane is wonderful, which is the kind of conflict I wished Picard and Riker had in TNG.

The Adventures of Superman: Like Warped9, Reeves as Clark Kent/Superman and Coates as Lois Lane in the first season is the best. Coates remains my favorite Lois Lane because she's much closer to the 1930s/40s version that's an agressive, capable reporter and not just swooning over Superman. And Superman in this season is closer to the social crusader that Shuster/Sigel imagined him to be. And the first season is more of a noir crime drama than science fiction, which is great!

I Spy: The first half of the first season is great drama and a bit more harder edge on social topics, like drug addiction, than TOS ever was in its more "social commentary" episodes. And Alexandar Scott was a helluv a lot more of a progressive character than Uhura is given credit for being.

Mission: Impossible: The first three seasons are the best. The first season had some great character bits for a show whose characters were mostly cyphers.

Space: 1999: It's hokey. The concept nearly ridiculous. However, it's not so much science fiction as it is Lovecraftian horror in space, especially the first season. In fact, S:1999 shows us a universe that's really out to kill us and has more of a cosmological bent than STAR TREK.

And it goes without saying, love, love The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. In fact, I wished that STAR TREK had more of a bite and consistency that those shows had going for them. I agree with Rod Serling that Trek could sparkle sometimes but be average television at times as well, or as he put it, "inconsistant."

I only liked one episode of TIME TUNNEL, and that's the Peral Harbor episode. Never could get into LAND OF THE GIANTS. Still have to see UFO.
Old March 9 2013, 08:46 PM   #45
CrazyMatt
Commander

I loved the original Battlestar Galactica... and just like with the new "reimagined" Star Trek, I could never bring myself to watch the new BSG, even though Ron Moore, one of the greatest writers in Star Trek history, was the driving force behind it.

Just like Kirk can never be separated from Shatner in my mind, Adama can never be separated from Lorne Greene... etc. with all the other TOS characters. Reimagined series hold no appeal for me.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote