RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,522
Posts: 5,512,380
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 458
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2013, 10:29 PM   #61
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: After Abrams

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.

I agree with half of that. I can't imagine that they'll ever go back to the earlier continuity, but I can see somebody rebooting TNG one of these days. TNG nostalgia is bound to kick in at some point, especially as the generation that grew up on that show ends up in charge . . . . .
Shall we put £5 on it and check back in in 20 years time ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 10:57 PM   #62
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: After Abrams

After being a fan for thirty-five years, any new Trek is just gravy.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 10:58 PM   #63
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: After Abrams

Everyone's assuming that the Abramsverse will be around for a long time, when there's no guarantee of that in this day and age. Both the prime and Abramsverse continuties could be gone by the end of this decade if someone else steps in after Abrams with his or her finger on the ultimate reboot button, IMO.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:11 PM   #64
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: After Abrams

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Everyone's assuming that the Abramsverse will be around for a long time, when there's no guarantee of that in this day and age. Both the prime and Abramsverse continuties could be gone by the end of this decade if someone else steps in after Abrams with his or her finger on the ultimate reboot button, IMO.
True, but I think they would struggle to re-reboot. There would be a resulting drop in credibility/box office.

They've got a whole NEW universe to play with - they can literally do anything the want so why not use it ? TNG DS9 and Voyager need not happen at all - there's no need for any of that.*


*Although Data's buried head will probably be found eventually. Spock Prime might even know about it - he's melded with Picard...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:31 PM   #65
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: After Abrams

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Everyone's assuming that the Abramsverse will be around for a long time, when there's no guarantee of that in this day and age. Both the prime and Abramsverse continuties could be gone by the end of this decade if someone else steps in after Abrams with his or her finger on the ultimate reboot button, IMO.
True, but I think they would struggle to re-reboot. There would be a resulting drop in credibility/box office.
I don't think so on both points. Reboots are coming faster and faster these days (often at the mandate of studio execs and producers with their own vision of how things should be), and if Kirk and the gang were recast with yet another new version of the original Enterprise a few years after Star Trek XIII, people would go to see them if it's exciting enough.
They've got a whole NEW universe to play with - they can literally do anything the want so why not use it ?
They could do that with a total reboot too, and do even more things that Abrams didn't. I think with Star Trek XI, the door has been opened for Trek to be continually reinvented or reimagined every so often (perhaps at 10 to 12 year intervals).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #66
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: After Abrams

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.

I agree with half of that. I can't imagine that they'll ever go back to the earlier continuity, but I can see somebody rebooting TNG one of these days. TNG nostalgia is bound to kick in at some point, especially as the generation that grew up on that show ends up in charge . . . . .
Shall we put £5 on it and check back in in 20 years time ?
Let me check my retirement fund . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 12:59 AM   #67
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: After Abrams

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I still feel very certain that TNG will some day see a reboot.
I do too. But there's no way in hell you'll see a "traditionalist" in charge of the franchise ever again.
And you just love to revel in that, don't you?
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:01 AM   #68
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: After Abrams

BillJ wrote: View Post
After being a fan for thirty-five years, any new Trek is just gravy.
That sounds like a good definition of long-suffering Trek fans who have embraced JJ Trek just because they want Trek in any shape or form it's dished out to them.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:10 AM   #69
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: After Abrams

mos6507 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
After being a fan for thirty-five years, any new Trek is just gravy.
That sounds like a good definition of long-suffering Trek fans who have embraced JJ Trek just because they want Trek in any shape or form it's dished out to them.
It's nice that its around, but if they quit making Trek tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Much like it didn't bother me when they pulled the plug in 2005.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:13 AM   #70
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: After Abrams

mos6507 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I still feel very certain that TNG will some day see a reboot.
I do too. But there's no way in hell you'll see a "traditionalist" in charge of the franchise ever again.
And you just love to revel in that, don't you?
Revel in what exactly? That folks who made Trek for ten years too long are no longer part of the franchises long-term future?
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:20 AM   #71
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: After Abrams

Abrams Trek is disposable. One day Star Trek will return to television. Whether it will have a stronger emphasis on sci-fi storytelling or continue in the current light-weight, frothy direction has yet to be seen. The tone and format of current Trek bothers me more than the timeline change. I'd take a more intelligent show in this timeline than a dumb show set in the proper timeline.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:27 AM   #72
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: After Abrams

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Abrams Trek is disposable.
All Trek is disposable. It's entertainment.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #73
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: After Abrams

Well, I think the TV show had a lot more substance to it and didn't have to throw lens flare and loud noises at me to put me in a docile enough state to accept it.

The scary thing right now about Trek is how defeated everybody is. Half the fandom hate Abrams' take on Star Trek but nobody seems to see it getting any better.

Well, I actually do. A future TV series is inevitable and I reckon enough time has passed for it to do well enough in the ratings if they approach it right.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:50 AM   #74
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: After Abrams



Of course a TV show is going to have more depth to it. They have more time to flesh out the story they want to tell. I'm surprised that you go on about getting an 'A' on a film dissertation and yet to continue to overlook this very basic fact.

If you don't like the Abrams film, that's fine. But to say that Trek fans are some how defeated because Abrams Trek is popular is pure non-sense. You try to project your dislike onto the fanbase which actually seems to have embraced the Abrams take on the original series to one degree or another.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 02:04 AM   #75
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: After Abrams

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I think the TV show had a lot more substance to it and didn't have to throw lens flare and loud noises at me to put me in a docile enough state to accept it.
Yeah, thats what happened. Okay, maybe to you, but not me. I'll let others speak for themselves rather than make some sort of blanket statement.

The scary thing right now about Trek is how defeated everybody is. Half the fandom hate Abrams' take on Star Trek but nobody seems to see it getting any better.
Who's defeated? A few doom and gloomers on the internet? Half? No, not half. Probably not even a quarter. Even one percent might be way too high.

Well, I actually do. A future TV series is inevitable and I reckon enough time has passed for it to do well enough in the ratings if they approach it right.
Finally something that makes sense.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.