Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 7 2013, 10:29 PM   #61
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: After Abrams

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.

I agree with half of that. I can't imagine that they'll ever go back to the earlier continuity, but I can see somebody rebooting TNG one of these days. TNG nostalgia is bound to kick in at some point, especially as the generation that grew up on that show ends up in charge . . . . .
Shall we put £5 on it and check back in in 20 years time ?
Old March 7 2013, 10:57 PM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

After being a fan for thirty-five years, any new Trek is just gravy.
Old March 7 2013, 10:58 PM   #63
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Everyone's assuming that the Abramsverse will be around for a long time, when there's no guarantee of that in this day and age. Both the prime and Abramsverse continuties could be gone by the end of this decade if someone else steps in after Abrams with his or her finger on the ultimate reboot button, IMO.
Old March 7 2013, 11:11 PM   #64
Relayer1
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Everyone's assuming that the Abramsverse will be around for a long time, when there's no guarantee of that in this day and age. Both the prime and Abramsverse continuties could be gone by the end of this decade if someone else steps in after Abrams with his or her finger on the ultimate reboot button, IMO.
True, but I think they would struggle to re-reboot. There would be a resulting drop in credibility/box office.

They've got a whole NEW universe to play with - they can literally do anything the want so why not use it ? TNG DS9 and Voyager need not happen at all - there's no need for any of that.*

*Although Data's buried head will probably be found eventually. Spock Prime might even know about it - he's melded with Picard...
Old March 7 2013, 11:31 PM   #65
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
True, but I think they would struggle to re-reboot. There would be a resulting drop in credibility/box office.
I don't think so on both points. Reboots are coming faster and faster these days (often at the mandate of studio execs and producers with their own vision of how things should be), and if Kirk and the gang were recast with yet another new version of the original Enterprise a few years after Star Trek XIII, people would go to see them if it's exciting enough.
They've got a whole NEW universe to play with - they can literally do anything the want so why not use it ?
They could do that with a total reboot too, and do even more things that Abrams didn't. I think with Star Trek XI, the door has been opened for Trek to be continually reinvented or reimagined every so often (perhaps at 10 to 12 year intervals).
Old March 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #66
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.

I agree with half of that. I can't imagine that they'll ever go back to the earlier continuity, but I can see somebody rebooting TNG one of these days. TNG nostalgia is bound to kick in at some point, especially as the generation that grew up on that show ends up in charge . . . . .
Shall we put £5 on it and check back in in 20 years time ?
Let me check my retirement fund . . . .
Old March 8 2013, 12:59 AM   #67
mos6507
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I still feel very certain that TNG will some day see a reboot.
I do too. But there's no way in hell you'll see a "traditionalist" in charge of the franchise ever again.
And you just love to revel in that, don't you?
Old March 8 2013, 01:01 AM   #68
mos6507
Captain

That sounds like a good definition of long-suffering Trek fans who have embraced JJ Trek just because they want Trek in any shape or form it's dished out to them.
Old March 8 2013, 01:10 AM   #69
BillJ
Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
That sounds like a good definition of long-suffering Trek fans who have embraced JJ Trek just because they want Trek in any shape or form it's dished out to them.
It's nice that its around, but if they quit making Trek tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Much like it didn't bother me when they pulled the plug in 2005.
Old March 8 2013, 01:13 AM   #70
BillJ
Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I still feel very certain that TNG will some day see a reboot.
I do too. But there's no way in hell you'll see a "traditionalist" in charge of the franchise ever again.
And you just love to revel in that, don't you?
Revel in what exactly? That folks who made Trek for ten years too long are no longer part of the franchises long-term future?
Old March 8 2013, 01:20 AM   #71
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Abrams Trek is disposable. One day Star Trek will return to television. Whether it will have a stronger emphasis on sci-fi storytelling or continue in the current light-weight, frothy direction has yet to be seen. The tone and format of current Trek bothers me more than the timeline change. I'd take a more intelligent show in this timeline than a dumb show set in the proper timeline.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:27 AM   #72
BillJ
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Abrams Trek is disposable.
All Trek is disposable. It's entertainment.
Old March 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #73
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I think the TV show had a lot more substance to it and didn't have to throw lens flare and loud noises at me to put me in a docile enough state to accept it.

The scary thing right now about Trek is how defeated everybody is. Half the fandom hate Abrams' take on Star Trek but nobody seems to see it getting any better.

Well, I actually do. A future TV series is inevitable and I reckon enough time has passed for it to do well enough in the ratings if they approach it right.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 01:50 AM   #74
BillJ
Admiral

Of course a TV show is going to have more depth to it. They have more time to flesh out the story they want to tell. I'm surprised that you go on about getting an 'A' on a film dissertation and yet to continue to overlook this very basic fact.

If you don't like the Abrams film, that's fine. But to say that Trek fans are some how defeated because Abrams Trek is popular is pure non-sense. You try to project your dislike onto the fanbase which actually seems to have embraced the Abrams take on the original series to one degree or another.
Old March 8 2013, 02:04 AM   #75
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I think the TV show had a lot more substance to it and didn't have to throw lens flare and loud noises at me to put me in a docile enough state to accept it.
Yeah, thats what happened. Okay, maybe to you, but not me. I'll let others speak for themselves rather than make some sort of blanket statement.

The scary thing right now about Trek is how defeated everybody is. Half the fandom hate Abrams' take on Star Trek but nobody seems to see it getting any better.
Who's defeated? A few doom and gloomers on the internet? Half? No, not half. Probably not even a quarter. Even one percent might be way too high.

Well, I actually do. A future TV series is inevitable and I reckon enough time has passed for it to do well enough in the ratings if they approach it right.
Finally something that makes sense.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote