Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 7 2013, 04:16 PM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Did You Love Other Vintage Sci-Fi Shows?

As much as I worship Trek and consider it to have had a mammoth impact on my life, my favourite TV series is the original classic run of Doctor Who. Other classic shows I like are The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits and The Avengers.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 06:25 PM   #17
mos6507
Captain

I never knew UFO existed back in the day, but when I downloaded episodes online I was really taken by it. The stories can get kind of long-winded (which is true in lots of Anderson's stuff) but just the Austin Powers production values make it really one of the "hippest" visions of the future ever imagined.
Old March 7 2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I still don't know exactly what UFO was. It came and went while I was living in Japan
and I never ran across it in reruns after my family moved back to the US. Images from google shows me some characters that have popped as avatars here from time to time. My nerducation seems to have missed a course.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

Lost in Space was unwatchable crap. Even as a kid I hated it.

Voyage, LotG and TT were OK but I didn't feel the urge to tune in every week.

Buck was sort of OK but Twiki was just too annoying.

Galactica was good at the time.

Man from Atlantis was poor and Logan's run was just about O.K.

The Invaders quickly became tedious and repetitive.

Space 1999 still looks great, but the science was crud and the stories went downhill in the second season.

UFO was very good.

Blakes 7 was excellent despite looking very very cheap. If only Gerry Anderson had made it...

Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits and Night Stalker never appealed to me.

I have to be wary of hindsight, as none of them have stand up particularly well now, but I did think most of them were utter tripe at the time !

It makes you aware how good TOS was for its day, and even that looks rather cheesy now.
Old March 7 2013, 09:31 PM   #20
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Ah, Zap, now you asked a question I appreciate:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA: my second all time favorite show and easily Irwin Allen's best and, at the time, most successful. Back when SF was a tough sell, Voyage lasted 110 episodes over 4 years. In the US on network TV, that was quite a feat and a record it held for a very long time. It was great fun and Richard Basehart was easily the greatest actor working in television. It got very weird and often childish, but it was fun 99.9% of the time. It is nowhere near the quality of Star Trek, but I love it just about as much.

- LOST IN SPACE: loved it as a kid, but only "like it" today, mostly because fully half of the series was awful. I don't mind cheesy aliens and crappy plots (see Voyage), but it became a "spacey" answer to Batman and the emphasis on fantasy comedy with Dr. Smith ruined it. It still had some real gems in the later episodes, but that second season is almost a total write off. Still John Williams' work is some of the best Television music in history.

LAND OF THE GIANTS: I like it, but it is the least of the Irwin Allen series. A great cast and effects, but dull stories and a dead-end concept make this one a chore most of the time. However, when they got weird in the 2nd season, it got more fun. Also Deanna Lund. Me-ow!

THE TIME TUNNEL: the series that debuted the same year as Trek and the one critics preferred. I love it. A good solid adventure, even if the time travel theories make no sense. Again, great fun, as all of the Irwin Allen series were.

Classic GALACTICA: another great show from my youth, but most often the hour long episodes are duds. The two parters, though, are amazingly good. It needed a second season to reach its potential, but having read the recently found proposal for that second year with all the changes, I'm glad it ended when it did.

BUCK ROGERS: LOVE THIS SERIES! Both seasons. Oh man, it's cheesy as hell, but it knows it. The second season was more "serious" and lost some of that charm, but having just watched them all again, I'm thrilled at how much I still enjoyed them. Great escapist fare.

MAN FROM ATLANTIS: No memory of this, although I am more than aware of it and what it's about. I know I watched it, but I don't recall anything about it other than that Patrick Duffy went onto Dallas right after this ended.

LOGAN'S RUN: A cheesefest, but with great intentions. Some fantastic episodes by David Gerrold, Harlan Ellison and DC Fontana, they gave it a good try, but it was just another road show like The Fugitive and Planet of the Apes. Heather Menzies was pretty damned hot though.

PLANET OF THE APES: I liked it, but it was kind of dull and repetitive. Good cast and Roddy McDowell is great, but it fell pretty short of its premiere episode.

SPACE:1999 - my third favorite show of all time - both seasons. Love the atmosphere and music. The characters, such as they were, I enjoyed. Again, the second season got dumber, but it was still so much fun (I watch TV for fun - in case you didn't get it). Also Catherine Schell. Nuff said.

UFO: A little stiff and dull the first half of the year, but it picked up greatlty in the back half. It deserved a second year. Good stuff.

THE INVADERS: The Fugitive with aliens, it was good and scary the first year, then got dull the second. No movement in the story, no reason why the aliens didn't kill David Vincent. Better than it had any right to be because of the talent involved. It came about 15 years too early. It needed to be a serial.

THE IMMORTAL (Chris George): a blatant retread of The Fugitive, but holy crap, did I love this short lived series. Amazing Dominic Frontiere music and excellent, tough performances by Christopher George. It didn't deserve a second season because the producers didn't even TRY to make it new, but it sure had great fights and chases.

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN/BIONIC WOMAN: Six Mill I love to this day. YBW - meh, too many sensitive "girl" episodes. I enjoyed Steve Austin and his tough guy act and this was the touchstone of my generation. Lots of fun. There's that word again.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK: Another Fugitive retake, but the best of imitations. Nice balance of kids adventure and adult drama. Bill Bixby was my hero forever.

V: Great miniseries, pretty good second mini-series, middling to awful weekly series. But I loved it. Why? F.U.N. I loved 80's action TV and whatever else it screwed up, V The Series had fantastic action.

OTHERWORLD: Awful from the word go. A weird Lost in Space retake that just didn't work.

TWILIGHT ZONE: another favorite which has a LOT more crappy episodes than people want to admit (the last two season are pretty dire for the most part). But its intelligence and fearlessness are well documented. It has earned its rep.

THE OUTER LIMITS: slow going, but intelligent for the most part. People like to dismiss the second season, but that season contained a handful of some of the best episodes of the year (The Inheritors, Demon with a Glass Hand). Great stuff.

BLAKES 7: the best british SF show ever. Amazing.

DOCTOR WHO: could be great, could be awful. I liked it for the most part.
Old March 7 2013, 09:42 PM   #21
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

Sadly I haven't watched most of those shows, but I have watched both Classic BSG and Buck Rogers and enjoyed both series.
Old March 7 2013, 09:46 PM   #22
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

I am still having trouble with the term "Vintage".
At 51 years of age I am finding everything being called vintage these days and I find much of the modern Science Fiction unwatchable.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 09:47 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Watch, yes. Love, no.
This.

Nothing else captured my imagination the way the original Trek did.
Old March 7 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I still don't know exactly what UFO was. It came and went while I was living in Japan
and I never ran across it in reruns after my family moved back to the US. Images from google shows me some characters that have popped as avatars here from time to time. My nerducation seems to have missed a course.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5GAY7JfWU
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Thanks!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

You're welcome. It's a bit dated and the model work is laughable but the stories are pretty good. BTW, Space: 1999 was originally intended as a sequel to this of sorts.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 12:11 AM   #27
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I grew up with Dr Who, Blakes 7, and Buck Rogers. Cheesy but fun. Battlestar Galactica wasn't available in our TV area so we had to watch it on a fuzzy black and white portable in my parents' bedroom with almost no signal. Only saw a handful of episodes. Having watched some more recently, Blakes 7 (ignoring the special effects) stands up the best but Dr Who has the most enduring charm.

Much oif my love of sci fi came from the action figures so Star Wars and the Black Hole was high on my list. Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica produced only very limited runs and I didn't ever consider customs in those days.

I preferred ensemble shows so Invaders was a bit repetitive. Thunderbirds and Space 1999, I loved. Tomorrow People and Logan's Run I can barely remember. I only saw one episode of Children of the Stones but it's burned into my brain forever. The Owl Service was incomprehensible to me at the time. The Phoenix and the Carpet was good fun. Who can forget Chocky? Battle of the Planets was AMAZING. Sapphire and Steel is ripe for a remake. The Fantastic Journey and Buster Crabbe serials were on every school holidays so I grew to love them.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 12:33 AM   #28
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
You're welcome. It's a bit dated and the model work is laughable but the stories are pretty good. BTW, Space: 1999 was originally intended as a sequel to this of sorts.
Yeah, UFO had good ratings in the States, so Lew Grade greenlit Anderson to start work on Season Two. Anderson decided that SHADO should relocate to to a vastly-enlarged moonbase, and they would have improved Interceptors.

A large amount of this design work had already been done when the ratings fell, and the US stations cancelled thier interest in Season Two.

Without this market, Grade could not authorise a second season, but Anderson suggested applying the new designs to a new series, so the work wasn't wasted.

This explains why the Moonbase Alpha uniforms are the same mushroom colour as SHADO ones. Also, Straker's secretary's typewriter found it's way to the Main Mission Control Panels (usually in front of Paul Morrow).

Guess that answers the question of my favourite series of the '70's!
Old March 8 2013, 12:37 AM   #29
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Oh yeah, by the time I was a teenager, we had Tom Baker Doctor Who, which I loved, and by then I'd seen (and loved) all the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon, both at the movies and on TV, and his Buck Rogers, at the theater.
Old March 8 2013, 01:11 AM   #30
mos6507
Captain

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call the model-work on UFO laughable. Yeah, there's only so much you can do without motion-control, but the detail in the models is as high as anything you'd see later out of ILM.