Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 1 2013, 01:56 AM   #1996
Dream
Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

yousirname wrote: View Post
Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
Either keep firing or run, don't just sit about in the same location talking about what you're gonna do, sheesh.
I think the justification is that Picard feels the need to show Q that they're ready for anything. It does kill the tension completely, though, and it's a pretty thin rationalisation. It's clear almost from the start that the Enterprise is completely outgunned and even if Picard is trying to show off, surely someone else would at least suggest just high-tailing it.
Picard had thought they had damaged the Cube enough to not have to worry about it. It was Picard simply being being stupidly arrogant and overconfident, exactly what Q accused humans of being earlier in the episode.
Old March 1 2013, 02:47 AM   #1997
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
Either keep firing or run, don't just sit about in the same location talking about what you're gonna do, sheesh.
I think the justification is that Picard feels the need to show Q that they're ready for anything. It does kill the tension completely, though, and it's a pretty thin rationalisation. It's clear almost from the start that the Enterprise is completely outgunned and even if Picard is trying to show off, surely someone else would at least suggest just high-tailing it.
Picard had thought they had damaged the Cube enough to not have to worry about it. It was Picard simply being being stupidly arrogant and overconfident, exactly what Q accused humans of being earlier in the episode.
Pretty much, at least RUN while you have the conference....its just killed 18 of your people. Sheesh.
Old March 3 2013, 04:10 PM   #1998
Salinga
Captain

Finally saw Q-Who

Aside from the re-mastering, seeing this ep again after all this time made me realised just how padded it was....
It's a lot talkier than I remember, particularly the start when you have Ensign Sonia Gomez throwing her hot chocolate all over Picard, Picard going missing and then Q and Guinan coming to a head all before we get anywhere near the Borg....

Also it may be an 80s thing but I can't get over the Enterprise suffering serious damage from being carved up by the Borg, the Enterprise being fortunate enough to shoot it into submission then Picard standing there and ordering everyone into a conference.
I also think this episode hasnt aged well, because it is too static. The action of the story isnt really presented well on the screen.

The actors barely leave their designated spot on the set, they just stand around. Some action is going on and the actors just stand there, their arms hanging down, and watch it detached while the stunt people do their stuff.

But "Best of both Worlds" suffers from this too, I also think this two parter hasnt aged well because of that. The action of TNG is just too static and too slow.

The late DS9 and VOY have managed to present action much better than TNG ever did.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:15 PM   #1999
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well yeah, compared to today's TV shows, TNG does appear awfully stagnant visually now.

But the stories for Q Who and BOBW are more than strong enough to make up for that, I think (and the incredibly moody and exciting music scores certainly don't hurt either).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 02:53 PM   #2000
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Not sure if anyone posted this. An hour audio podcast interview with Robertt Meyer Burnett on Screen time from December.

http://5by5.tv/screentime/16

Plus my season 2 Database:

The updated database from bluray, I hadn't seen some of those episodes in years:

Last edited by RAMA; March 5 2013 at 04:18 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:19 PM   #2001
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

Pretty much, at least RUN while you have the conference....its just killed 18 of your people. Sheesh.

I kind of felt this way at first but I had access to more knowledge than Picard..who knew the Borg would not give off a hint of the regenerating of ship and hive.
Old March 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #2002
Lance
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Seems a pretty strong reaction to slightly different shots. Really, saying this isn't the "original" footage, wanting to contact people involved in the show and this project to ask them questions about these very slightly different shots?
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. To ask, "why are the shots different?". I mean, aren't you even slightly curious as to why alternative takes have been used? I'm not fussed one way or another about the actual use of different takes, because as you rightly say the net effect on the final episode is negligible anyway. But I'd still be interested to know the story behind why they've been used over the previous ones.

Or are you saying that any kind of interest in the way the show is put together should (for some reason) be outlawed?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 05:57 PM   #2003
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I'm still making my way through this season, and I'm seeing more and more shots that appear to be SD resolution. I earlier mentioned the psych test inserts in The Schizoid Man. I forgot to note some subsequent examples, but last night I watched Samaritan Snare. There's a shot of Troi exiting the lift next to the main viewer and walking in front of the viewer. On the viewer, we see LaForge and the Pakleds on their ship. That shot looks SD. Is it possible that they didn't feel like re-compositing a moving shot, or couldn't find the original elements, or is it instead one of those shots using an anamorphic lens similar to the infamous shot in The Last Outpost?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 08:05 PM   #2004
Mott the barber
Commodore

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I'm still making my way through this season, and I'm seeing more and more shots that appear to be SD resolution. I earlier mentioned the psych test inserts in The Schizoid Man. I forgot to note some subsequent examples, but last night I watched Samaritan Snare. There's a shot of Troi exiting the lift next to the main viewer and walking in front of the viewer. On the viewer, we see LaForge and the Pakleds on their ship. That shot looks SD. Is it possible that they didn't feel like re-compositing a moving shot, or couldn't find the original elements, or is it instead one of those shots using an anamorphic lens similar to the infamous shot in The Last Outpost?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's technically akin to that panning shot in "The Last Outpost." Maxwell can explain it ten times better, but whenever they did a pnning shot that involved green screen type stuff, the quality (even in the HD versions) was lowered.
Old March 7 2013, 08:19 PM   #2005
NewHorizon
Captain

I'll forever wonder what a CBS-D Season 2 would have been like.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 08:31 PM   #2006
Mott the barber
Commodore

Hmm, for some reason my reply did not post, but the short of is, yes to your last post. Anytime there are shots where the camera pans across a green screen or composited shot (i.e., the viewscreen), the resolution is lower. Maxwell can go into much more technical detail.
Old March 7 2013, 08:38 PM   #2007
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^I can see your last post. Prior to this one I mean.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 08:49 PM   #2008
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's technically akin to that panning shot in "The Last Outpost." Maxwell can explain it ten times better, but whenever they did a pnning shot that involved green screen type stuff, the quality (even in the HD versions) was lowered.
Also, it was a combined live-action/bluescreen shot. Pretty much every live-action shot in Season 2 that included a bluescreen element or optical effect (such as the bridge set with the viewscreen) was DNRed to hell, thanks to HTV not really knowing what they were doing.

One of the many examples:

Blue-screen + live-action:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_076.jpg

Live action only:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_080.jpg
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 10:25 PM   #2009
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Also, it was a combined live-action/bluescreen shot. Pretty much every live-action shot in Season 2 that included a bluescreen element or optical effect (such as the bridge set with the viewscreen) was DNRed to hell, thanks to HTV not really knowing what they were doing.

One of the many examples:

Blue-screen + live-action:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_076.jpg

Live action only:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_080.jpg
Right, those differences are very jarring in the Season 2 set.

But what I'm referring to is: the shot actually looks SD - the detail is lower, yet there's more digital noise (not smooth DNR) and w/ NTSC-like colors. I wish I could provide a screencap, but Trekcore hasn't posted that episode yet.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:07 PM   #2010
Mott the barber
Commodore

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
^I can see your last post. Prior to this one I mean.
Haha, so can I now. Weird!