Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 7 2013, 08:50 AM   #1456
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Caligula wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Anyone catch Lauren Cohen on Kimmel? Day-umm!
Video...
Love hearing her genuine accent. Those might be the most obvious hair extensions I've ever seen, but still.... Damn!
Now i know why she looked so familiar! At least The Walking Dead gives her character more respect than Supernatural ever did...
Old March 7 2013, 01:49 PM   #1457
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Immolatus wrote: View Post
what if Rick took Daryl instead of Michonne would they have stopped for the hitchhiker?
I don't know if they would have stopped, but Rick and Daryl would have exchanged words. Given his reaction on the bridge when out with Merle, Daryl has become a big proponent of saving human life.

However Daryl would probably have deferred to Rick, but not without losing little respect for him.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:11 PM   #1458
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I don't know if they would have stopped, but Rick and Daryl would have exchanged words. Given his reaction on the bridge when out with Merle, Daryl has become a big proponent of saving human life.

However Daryl would probably have deferred to Rick, but not without losing little respect for him.
Daryl's reaction on the bridge was because there was an infant in the car. I'm not so sure he would have stopped Merle from taking some supplies if only adults were in the car.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:21 PM   #1459
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ That's really why I like Daryl.. His character, for having so few words, has so much depth..

I'm not current with the comics... Has his character been introduced yet, as had been planned?
Old March 7 2013, 10:54 PM   #1460
Mojochi
Commodore

marillion wrote: View Post
^^ That's really why I like Daryl.. His character, for having so few words, has so much depth..

I'm not current with the comics... Has his character been introduced yet, as had been planned?
I'm not a reader but I've heard that Daryl & Merle aren't in it at all

Even with Daryl on board, I doubt anyone would have wanted to stop for some crazy yelling guy wandering about the zombie apocalypse seemingly alone. Even though it turned out not to be, the whole thing stinks of a trap

What I've been wondering is if maybe the hitchhiker had been one of Morgan's victims, who escaped somehow. That's the only reason I can foresee someone alone, ambling about the highway, defenseless, after surviving a year in Zombieland
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:01 PM   #1461
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I think the word is that one or both of them may be introduced into the comics because of the show. But I'm not a reader either.

If that guy was one of Morgan's victims, then he's either lost or has no sense, since he was walking TOWARD the town.

The first encounter with him stunk of "trap", but the second did not. If he was the bait for an ambush in that first encounter, there would be other guys back in the trees waiting to shoot the car, rush the car, or whatever. But in the second encounter, the guy was running full-tilt along the road toward them. There's no way anyone in the trees could have followed quickly enough and remained concealed.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:08 PM   #1462
Pavonis
Commodore

The second encounter with the hitchhiker may have suggested he wasn't trap bait, but his attitude certainly suggested he was naive. Screaming his head off to attract walkers was bad enough, but hadn't he learned the living aren't to be trusted either? Michonne and Rick could've killed him.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:08 PM   #1463
cylkoth
Commodore

Can't be sure, but I've been under the impression the Merle was indeed a character from the comics, but Darryl was created for the show.
Old March 8 2013, 01:21 AM   #1464
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
I don't believe Daryl has ever been planned for inclusion in the comics. The character with a crossbow on a cover in the lead-up to issue #100 was an entirely different individual - and was not remotely friendly.

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Can't be sure, but I've been under the impression the Merle was indeed a character from the comics, but Darryl was created for the show.
Both Dixon brothers were created for the show.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 05:16 AM   #1465
Mojochi
Commodore

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
If that guy was one of Morgan's victims, then he's either lost or has no sense, since he was walking TOWARD the town.
Wasn't he walking toward the town only after he saw the car? Maybe he was hoping to catch up to them, or head in a direction they might be going

I agree it's an unlikely scenario though. If you'd just gotten screwed out of your weapons & run out of a town by Crazy Morgan, would you be looking to immediately encounter more new strangers in the vicinity? Probably not, but you can't blame me for trying to come up with a reason that a year long survivor would be so monumentally stupid & still manage to live this long

& sure, the second encounter was more of an indication that it probably wasn't a trap, & more about how our heroes are not open to giving people a chance, even with each other, which was the setup for the lesson learned from crazy Morgan. People on their own got problems. Remember that sleeping kook in the shack that was yelling about calling the cops? That's what being alone gets you, a one way ticket to nuttersville

Having said that, I still didn't trust the hitcher in the 2nd encounter either. It was still fishy imo. The bottom line is, it would be exceedingly difficult to have successful 1st encounters with strangers. A year in, people should know this, and if you're lucky enough to get through it without a firefight, you should probably give people a chance, because the more common encounter would be like the bar in season 2
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 07:18 AM   #1466
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

I was hoping that when Rick and co were leaving the town, they would stop and tell the hitchhiker that they couldn't take him with them, but that there was a guy in the next town that may need a friend...
Old March 8 2013, 10:29 AM   #1467
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Okay, we need more webisodes to tell the story of the hitchhiker.
Old March 8 2013, 03:14 PM   #1468
Pavonis
Commodore

Stiletto wrote: View Post
I was hoping that when Rick and co were leaving the town, they would stop and tell the hitchhiker that they couldn't take him with them, but that there was a guy in the next town that may need a friend...
Eh? Why would they do that? So that he could surprise Morgan and get killed?
Old March 8 2013, 03:24 PM   #1469
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I know we go on about the gasoline situation, but shouldn't food also be a concern at this point? Not just the scarcity, but the fact that canned foods have an expiration date, for two reasons. First the food will spoil over time, preservatives or not, and second, from contamination from the metal container. The acids and preservatives can eat away at the cans over time.

Food poisoning should be a real problem for those people not growing their own food. And without ways to treat these gastro-intestinal infections, death is a real possibility.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 03:41 PM   #1470
Pavonis
Commodore

Well, once you accept that the dead are walking and stalking you, what else needs to be justified?

Of course, TWD isn't about a post-apocalyptic society trying to rebuild itself, it's about a small tribe trying to survive, so we probably will never see any practical difficulties like gas shortages or food poisoning.