Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 7 2013, 11:22 AM   #46
Metryq
Captain

Re: Court Martial - Ion Pod revisited

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
My second AMT Klingon ship, to my shock, was molded in black plastic. That was just weird.
Early stealth version, just prior to acquisition of the Romulan-made cloaking device. And the plastic itself absorbed radar.
Old March 7 2013, 12:35 PM   #47
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
My second AMT Klingon ship, to my shock, was molded in black plastic. That was just weird.
Early stealth version, just prior to acquisition of the Romulan-made cloaking device. And the plastic itself absorbed radar.
With a white molded Enterprise model kit the manufacturers may have wanted to create a black and white contrast.

Come to think of it it would make a great chess game with a white Enterprise king and a black Klingon Battlecruiser one.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:00 PM   #48
BK613
Captain

Perhaps the most influential image for me in constructing the AMT model in the 1970s was the blue-gray side view on Franz Joseph's Blueprints.

As for the injection plastic colors, the reasons varied over the years. Nice article about the model here for those who are interested.
Old March 7 2013, 05:51 PM   #49
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
So back when the original DVDs were made in 1999-ish, they were scanned and stored at a resolution that didn't yet exist for the pubic, in anticipation of a yet-to-be developed HD medium?
Please take the time and look up "HDTV" at Wikipedia.org, by the mid-90's the arrival of public HDTV was already in the pipeline. For the anamorphic (16X9 enhanced) widescreen DVDs (introduced 1997) they didn't use pre-existing old masters but already made new transfers in HD to prepare for HD broadcast and downconvert the resolution to sell DVDs.

Many of these HD masters were used for HD broadcast but in many cases, once HD-DVD and Blu-ray disc arrived, the studios felt the original HD masters were no longer state-of-the-art and decided they needed new ones with better HD resolution.

I'm simply not sure whether TOS relied on these early HD masters or whether new ones were made. Even in the current HD resolution, I'd say there is about 10-20% original live action footage where original negatives apparently got lost (10-20% live footage seems to have been replaced with footage from low resolution film copies that equals the sharpness levels of the current TOS DVDs).

Sorry for strolling off-topic, I shall add an on-topic comment in a few minutes to put the thread back on track.

Bob
As I remember, the new HD-DVD/blu-ray versions were mastered from the original negatives. This implies that the two previous DVD versions (both from the same masters?) were made from lower-generation prints.

Both transfers could have been HD. Those who compared the new (third, concurrent w/ the HD-DVD/blu-ray versions) DVD versions to the first two versions (I haven't) claim they look better. As to whether they truly used the negatives, or just had better mastering (contrast, color timing, etc.) is open to debate, AFAIK.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote