Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 5 2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Cake
Lieutenant

Re: Uniforms

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Uhura's outfit seems to be an optional variant as there were also female personnel wearing full sleeves and trousers as well.

As we saw other Starfleet outfits that didn't feature rank insignia (the space-diving outfits and Kirk's cold weather gear), rank insignia may not be that terribly important to be on every Starfleet outfit. Even in TOS, McCoy and M'Benga's surgeon tunics didn't have rank insignia, neither did Nurse Chapel's uniform, or the formal uniforms (although some braiding along the front was used to distinguish senior and flag officers, IIRC).
I thought that was because a nurse is something like an ensign, not someone particular high in the pecking order. Ensign Chekov also doesn't have rank insignia. Having no braid on the long sleeve was in TOS and is in the movie a sign of a low rank.

Personally I find it stupid, that Uhura's uniform has no rank insignia. She isn't an ensign. They should have put something on the end of her short sleeve or on her shoulder or neck.

Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 04:37 PM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Cake wrote: View Post
Uhura's outfit seems to be an optional variant as there were also female personnel wearing full sleeves and trousers as well.

As we saw other Starfleet outfits that didn't feature rank insignia (the space-diving outfits and Kirk's cold weather gear), rank insignia may not be that terribly important to be on every Starfleet outfit. Even in TOS, McCoy and M'Benga's surgeon tunics didn't have rank insignia, neither did Nurse Chapel's uniform, or the formal uniforms (although some braiding along the front was used to distinguish senior and flag officers, IIRC).
I thought that was because a nurse is something like an ensign, not someone particular high in the pecking order. Ensign Chekov also doesn't have rank insignia. Having no braid on the long sleeve was in TOS and is in the movie a sign of a low rank.

Personally I find it stupid, that Uhura's uniform has no rank insignia. She isn't an ensign. They should have put something on the end of her short sleeve or on her shoulder or neck.
Uhura's Rank Insignia was on her fans

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Cake wrote: View Post

I thought that was because a nurse is something like an ensign, not someone particular high in the pecking order.
I think as a senior nurse, Chapel probably was a lieutenant, but her authority was largely confined to the sickbay and over the junior nurses.
Ensign Chekov also doesn't have rank insignia. Having no braid on the long sleeve was in TOS and is in the movie a sign of a low rank.
Enlisted crewmen also wore uniforms without rank insignia in TOS, kind of suggesting that rank stripes on the sleeves wasn't quite that important as a person's rank and position. It really would be a case of how different Starfleet is from today's navies, IMO.
I think we go with the idea of uniform rank insignia being less important in Starfleet than rank & position--along with Uhura's uniform being a casual variant anyway--it works.
Old March 5 2013, 10:13 PM   #19
ROBE
Commander

The Motion Picture Ensigns had a broken stripe to show their rank.
Only TWOK had proper officers and ratings insignia.
Pike and Spock didn't even have rank insignia on their academy uniforms.
I believe that in the new movie the delta badge is different for officers and ratings.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:47 AM   #20
hammerhead
Lieutenant Commander

It's funny because in "The Cage", they had an enlisted chief with a broken braid on his sleeve as rank but didn't use that for the rest of TOS. Odd but shows someone did think about it that early on

Chief Garison link at Memory Alpha
Old March 7 2013, 02:35 AM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Even in TOS, McCoy and M'Benga's surgeon tunics didn't have rank insignia, neither did Nurse Chapel's uniform, or the formal uniforms (although some braiding along the front was used to distinguish senior and flag officers, IIRC).
The actual rank was denoted by the braid. Note the differences between Captain Kirk [wide collar/main seam braid & shoulder seam piping], Commander Spock [wide collar/main seam braid only] and Lieutenant Commander McCoy [collar/main seam piping only]dress uniforms:

Commodore Mendez wore the same dress uniform as Captain Kirk in "Menagerie", evidently, there was no difference for flag officers?:

Hope this helps.
Acvtually, that was what I was talking about, although I was trying to be brief. Commodores and admirals (flag officers I mentioned earlier) wore the same dress uniforms as captains, but with the addition of more gold piping along their sleeves.
Old March 7 2013, 09:16 AM   #22
ROBE
Commander

It looks like in WNMHGB the badge insignia showed rank and rate and not department.
"Command" was only worn by Captain and XO, "Science" by senior officers, "Services" by junior officers and crew. Captain two gold stripes, officers one gold stripe and crewmen no gold stripes
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote