Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 6 2013, 06:37 PM   #751
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

It's possible to have it be a demon he overcomes. Still relatively faithful to the comics without bogging down his character.
Old March 6 2013, 10:27 PM   #752
James T. Vader
Lieutenant

davejames wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Additionally i wonder if they will use this movie to start up the alcoholism character aspect of Stark. It seems he's really torn up mentally after the Avengers movie and he always was quite the drink guy in the movies so it would be a good opportunity to lay the groundwork of Iron Man 4 if it will happen (and i guess it will even if Downey gets sick of the role which he's not even hinted at.. he seems to enjoy Tony Stark).
I don't know. I know it's an iconic part of the comics, but I think it's probably TOO serious a topic for a big budget superhero movie to tackle.

Audiences still want to laugh and have fun with this character, and it'll be kind of hard to do that if he's a sad and pathetic drunk lying to everyone around him like Denzel Washington's character in Flight.
Yea my wife, who LOVES the first Iron Man, HATED IM2 just because of the way tony acted when dealing wiht the paladium poisoning and being the drunk jerk at his birthday party.
James T. Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #753
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

It probably isn't the case, but the plot seems to be pretty clear from the trailers - Tony's bent out of shape, The Mandarin starts making terrorist attacks, catches Tony with his guard down, beats up on Tony, Tony goes into hiding and creates his Iron Man army, Iron Man army beats The Mandarin.

It probably won't shake down like that as why in the heck would you give away everything in your trailers, but the overall arc seems to be there.
Old March 6 2013, 11:02 PM   #754
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

James T. Vader wrote: View Post
Additionally i wonder if they will use this movie to start up the alcoholism character aspect of Stark. It seems he's really torn up mentally after the Avengers movie and he always was quite the drink guy in the movies so it would be a good opportunity to lay the groundwork of Iron Man 4 if it will happen (and i guess it will even if Downey gets sick of the role which he's not even hinted at.. he seems to enjoy Tony Stark).
I don't know. I know it's an iconic part of the comics, but I think it's probably TOO serious a topic for a big budget superhero movie to tackle.

Audiences still want to laugh and have fun with this character, and it'll be kind of hard to do that if he's a sad and pathetic drunk lying to everyone around him like Denzel Washington's character in Flight.
Yea my wife, who LOVES the first Iron Man, HATED IM2 just because of the way tony acted when dealing wiht the paladium poisoning and being the drunk jerk at his birthday party.

But given that it's a hero movie the script will surely call for Tony to get rid of it(sober up/realize his mistake just in time to win the final battle.

Now i don't expect a hardcore treatise on alcoholism ala Leaving Las Vegas but it would be a good way to "burden" Tony with another obstacle to overcome. Of course that depends on how IM3 plays out and if Tony overcomes his anxiety and mental problems (which i guess he will).

Still would be a fine nod to the comics and a good way to show that our hero can overcome any obstacle (and i found drunk Tony Stark hilarious.. the guy is a party animal when he's sober so imagine him drunk ).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:00 AM   #755
JD
Admiral

The other day they showed some members of the press 20 minutes of footage, followed by interviews with Shane Black, RDJ, and Kevin Feige. IGN article.
The most interesting tidbits:

Feige and Black also talked a bit about the Mandarin's back story:

Sounds good to me!
Old March 7 2013, 12:02 AM   #756
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^^
Less than two months to go now.....must....resist....any more spoilers!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:09 AM   #757
JD
Admiral

If it helps it isn't anything to big, I just figured anything thing not revealed in the posters or trailers could be considered a spoiler.
Old March 7 2013, 12:46 AM   #758
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

James T. Vader wrote: View Post

Eh? That's what makes Iron Man different from all the other superheroes. He's a self-destructive egomaniacal fuckup who also happens to be a charismatic hero. Takes a particular type of actor to pull off a role like that and not alienate the audience, but they got an actor like that, why waste him on a vanilla role? Tell Padme she's missing the whole point of the character.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:42 AM   #759
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The trailer looks brilliant. I like Kingsley's quirky delivery and the scene of the attack on Tony's place is so Shane Black (shades of Lethal Weapon). Plus the tonnes of action helped!
I caught the Lethal Weapon 2 vibe as well. It would be even more obvious if, in one scene, Rhodie is nearly killed by a bomb attached to his toilet. But something tells me that wouldn't mesh with the dark tone they seem to be going for here.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:36 AM   #760
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote:
Additionally i wonder if they will use this movie to start up the alcoholism character aspect of Stark.
I'm pretty sure that was already started up by the other films, IM 2 specifically. For some reason I think they're probably moving on from it by this point.
Old March 7 2013, 10:02 AM   #761
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
The trailer looks brilliant. I like Kingsley's quirky delivery and the scene of the attack on Tony's place is so Shane Black (shades of Lethal Weapon). Plus the tonnes of action helped!
I caught the Lethal Weapon 2 vibe as well. It would be even more obvious if, in one scene, Rhodie is nearly killed by a bomb attached to his toilet. But something tells me that wouldn't mesh with the dark tone they seem to be going for here.
I was thinking more of the first LW, the scene where Gary Busey shot Murtagh's old mate dead from a helicopter attach on a beachfront house. Shane Black wrote LW but none of its sequels. But yeah, I guess there's a LW2 vibe too.
Old March 7 2013, 10:05 AM   #762
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The first trailer was moodier, This latest trailer was more typical.

Oh well
Old March 7 2013, 02:18 PM   #763
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote:
Additionally i wonder if they will use this movie to start up the alcoholism character aspect of Stark.
I'm pretty sure that was already started up by the other films, IM 2 specifically. For some reason I think they're probably moving on from it by this point.
How so? The one scene where he gets shitfaced at the party and proceeds to fight Rhodey is a result of his fear of dying and wanting to go out with a bang.

While that has certain psychological elements of alcoholism it wasn't central to his movie or rather people have never called him out for his excessive drinking.. he was just this talented playboy and it was customary to drink with such a lifestyle.

What i'm talking about is real, realized alcoholism.. not being able to function without being buzzed, alienating friends through the abuse and just slacking off. As i said it would be nice to have this explored in future movies but i guess his mental problems in IM3 will be solved by the end of the movie.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:29 PM   #764
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Terrance Howard's disagreements with Marvel killed his career

http://thegrio.com/2013/03/05/hollyw...ed-his-career/

According to the website, Howard said: “I chose not to fight back, not to deal with the allegations, but to continue forward and do what I had to do. I had to start all over: went from making $6 million a movie, back to $60 thousand a movie. But as long as you don’t give up you are able … I’ll make $20 million soon. Because I have learned the lessons of yesterday.”
Old March 7 2013, 08:42 PM   #765
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
I was thinking more of the first LW, the scene where Gary Busey shot Murtagh's old mate dead from a helicopter attach on a beachfront house. Shane Black wrote LW but none of its sequels. But yeah, I guess there's a LW2 vibe too.
Ah, yes. I was of course thinking of the helicopter attack on Riggs' trailer from LW2. Shane Black did write the original script for this first sequel, but what we got was no longer his baby. If Shane Black had gotten his way, there would have been no LW3 or LW4, because Riggs would have died at the end of LW2.

Makes me wonder if there'll be an important casualty in IM3.

Last edited by Caligula; March 7 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote