Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 6 2013, 05:57 PM   #5371
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I don't think most people watching the movie believed that a man could, in fact, fly.

I think most would have assumed it was some kind of special effects.
Old March 6 2013, 06:28 PM   #5372
marksound
Fleet Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action.
See, sheer idiocy like this is the reason not to trust this review. The Reeve version made a generation believe a man could fly. The wire take-offs and landings were breathtaking throughout all 4.
That was not even the best landing he ever did.

I remember around the time of "The Movie" reading that the effects people said Reeve was a natural on the pole-arm or whatever it was called. The realism of the flying effect had to do as much with him as the technology.

(Routh didn't really do it for me as Supes, no matter how good the effects shots were. Since then I've come to dislike his other work as well.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Cavill can pull it off. The trailers look promising.

Last edited by marksound; March 6 2013 at 10:16 PM.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 07:25 PM   #5373
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action.
See, sheer idiocy like this is the reason not to trust this review. The Reeve version made a generation believe a man could fly. The wire take-offs and landings were breathtaking throughout all 4.
I'm pretty sure the special effects for flying isn't at all what the first quote is about. Like, not even remotely close.

The quote is talking about the actual character, suggesting that he's much closer to the comic book version of the character than the ''Donnerverse'' version. You know, small things like using his powers intelligently for starters, and probably not making stupid shit up like the cellophane-shields or rebuilding-the-Great-Wall-of-China vision of the later movies, or the magic deKryptonization light bulbs in the Fortress of Solitude.

Last edited by Mister Fandango; March 6 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 07:42 PM   #5374
kirk55555
Commodore

Reeve's flying scenes (atleast in the first few movies) worked well. Regardless of MoS effects, Superman has been done justice in live action before, and probably won't be by MoS.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Good job not giving any credit whatsoever to Zack Snyder, you know, the director of the film. Once again, Nolan did just re-writes on the script prior to production on the film. That's pretty only the direct influence from him that I'm aware about, aside from helping hire Snyder as well of course.
Ok, three of the four producers on MoS (Christopher Nolan, Emma Thompson, Chris Roven) worked on BB, TDK and TDKR (the fourth is Snyder's wife, and Emma Thompson is Nolan's wife, you have to love the nepotism with these guys). The writer of Man of Steel wrote (David S. goyer) wrote Batman begins, The Dark Knight and TDK Rises with Nolan (well, the story, the screenplay was Nolan and his brother). Its not just Nolan, this whole movie is filled with the idiots who made the Nolan movies. Not even a great director could outinfluence these people, and Snyder seems like a decent (but not great) director, but he's no match for these guys, if he even wanted to be. You're assuming that Snyder doesn't share Nolan's horrible outlook on superhero movies (that they need to be long, slow, boring, badly written and badly acted). I don't think Snyder will be any help to the quality of the movie. He will either outright make it worse, or not effect the outcome at all. Its a Nolan movie, plain and simple.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 09:47 PM   #5375
sojourner
Admiral

I'm not sure what your point is anymore. You obviously don't like the movie, yet you still hangout in this thread for some reason.
Old March 6 2013, 09:58 PM   #5376
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Breathtaking.

That was pretty awful. Lands like a nancy boy too, very dainty.
Old March 6 2013, 10:09 PM   #5377
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yeah, that clip doesn't exactly reinforce your point like you think it does.
Old March 6 2013, 10:18 PM   #5378
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Aw, that's cute. It's like a five year old that drew you a picture. They put their heart into it and did the best that they could given their primitive minds, but objectively terrible compared to what adults can do today.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:02 AM   #5379
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Beats the 3-point landing of every superhero ever post-Matrix.

Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:25 AM   #5380
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Hey the line was, you will believe a man can fly, not take off and land.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:32 AM   #5381
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
Beats the 3-point landing of every superhero ever post-Matrix.
Did Superman make a three point landing in Superman Returns? I can't remember.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #5382
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The flying in Superman came across as shaky at best in 1978 - a few good shots, a lot of compromises and a few stinkers; no, I did not "believe a man could fly." I believed Christopher Reeve was Superman, though - Clark Kent, not so much.

As for three pages back...I'd sit through Serenity again before I'd tolerate four of the six Star Wars movies, and I do know a few things about film.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #5383
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed. I freakin love Reeve's graceful takeoffs and landings, and there were a bunch of great ones in SIII (flying across the street to the car, taking off from road next to Lana, taking off from next to the fireman...)

People can joke all they want, but those "outdated" flying effects still look more real and believable to me than anything I've seen since.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:46 AM   #5384
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Superman Returns bested the flying effects in the Reeve movies at every turn. Didn't make it a better movie - just vastly superior effects.

There's just one shot of Cavill flying in space in the current MOS trailer and it's already got the previous movies beat hands down. That's not joking.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:47 AM   #5385
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Did Superman make a three point landing in Superman Returns? I can't remember.
No, but he did make that dramatic hard landing on New Krypton.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote