Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 6 2013, 07:23 PM   #31
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Worst acting in Star Wars?

Sketcher wrote: View Post
I don't see too many actors nowadays say how uncomfortable/corny sci-fi lines are to speak. Is this maybe a sign of the times when science fiction/fantasy is more ingrained in our culture and we're simply used to it versus how we were in 1977?
I doubt that. The actors on the original Star Trek--a decade before A New Hope's shoot--rolled out technobabble like they were raised doing it, which went a long way in selling TOS. This applies to Lockwood and Dullea in 2001 (not matter how few lines were delivered).
Old March 6 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
You guys are crazy. Anything Hamill lacks is from "Youcanwritethisshitgeorgebutyoucan'tsayititis ". The irony being that Ford sold his lines perfectly.
Doesn't that undercut your point? If Harrison Ford was able to sell his lines, that means it's possible to give the lines effectively.
Old March 6 2013, 07:35 PM   #33
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Seriously though, I've gotta agree with Mark Hamill, he wasn't very good in the first film
I disagree. Hamill was the reason anyone cared and bought into the fantasy situation. It was his journey, and people wanted to see where he was going in that first film based on how the role was played.

Contrast that with Hayden Christensen--who had two films as the character making the pivotal journey, but he was awful in every frame, without any sort of growth in either movie.
Old March 6 2013, 07:46 PM   #34
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Contrast that with Hayden Christensen--who had two films as the character making the pivotal journey, but he was awful in every frame, without any sort of growth in either movie.
I agree Christensen was far worse than Hammill but for the purpose of this thread I thought we were only evaluating New Hope actors - the oriignal group.

The OP listed some obscure actor as the best example which I think is absurd. You have to choose a principle and of the New Hope principle's I still contend Hamill was worse than Fisher.

However, I also agree that by the end of the trilogy Ford was the worst only because he wasn't into it anymore.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Although whatever that look on Leah's face when her planet got destroyed probably could have been better
Old March 6 2013, 08:32 PM   #36
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Although whatever that look on Leah's face when her planet got destroyed probably could have been better
Well. Fisher didn't have as much screen time as Hamill did for her to be as awful IMO as he was in the original film.

Worst Hamill scenes:

1. In the garbage bin with the monster

2. Learning to use the force on the Falcon with the blast sheild down.

3. Anytime he was acting next to Alec Guinness

4. Witnessing Obi-one's death and faux anger and saddness

5. Blowing up the death star and the contrived sense of urgency.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Seriously though, I've gotta agree with Mark Hamill, he wasn't very good in the first film
I disagree. Hamill was the reason anyone cared and bought into the fantasy situation. It was his journey, and people wanted to see where he was going in that first film based on how the role was played.

Sure, Hayden Christensen was worse, but, he wasn't in A New Hope, so, I'm not sure how Hayden Christensen being worse in his movies negates my belief that Hamill was the worst in A New Hope? If you want to challenge that belief, you should stick to the Movie that was asked about (A New Hope) and point at someone worse than Hamill.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 09:54 PM   #38
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'd say the award for worst acting in the original Star Wars film goes to the guy who played "Mauler" Mithel, a.k.a. Black 2. I guess I should blame the director, but his facial expressions were completely unreadable. I just couldn't make an emotional connection with him.
I thought he sold his death scene pretty well.
"Look out!" <BOOM>

Threepio, on the other hand, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a set. He has the facial range of a hunk of metal.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 11:36 PM   #39
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Maria De Aragon. She just never convinced me that Greedo shot first.

Ford on the other hand totally sold me that Han was the only one who shot at all.
Old March 6 2013, 11:52 PM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Maria De Aragon. She just never convinced me that Greedo shot first.

Ford on the other hand totally sold me that Han was the only one who shot at all.
I think we have a winner.
Old March 6 2013, 11:55 PM   #41
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw

It's only 11 seconds and they both manage to act horribly.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:35 AM   #42
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure how Hayden Christensen being worse in his movies negates my belief that Hamill was the worst in A New Hope?
I already covered that with:

Hamill was the reason anyone cared and bought into the fantasy situation. It was his journey, and people wanted to see where he was going in that first film based on how the role was played
The believability of the entire film rested on how much the audience bought Luke. If Hamill failed, Ford, Guinness, FX, or anything else was not going to make the film work.
Old March 7 2013, 02:50 AM   #43
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

he was awful in every frame
Hyperbole.
Old March 7 2013, 04:07 AM   #44
Davros
Fleet Admiral

so, I'm not sure how Hayden Christensen being worse in his movies negates my belief that Hamill was the worst in A New Hope? If you want to challenge that belief, you should stick to the Movie that was asked about (A New Hope) and point at someone worse than Hamill.
Christensen's acting was so bad, that it went back in time and reached into the earlier films.
Old March 7 2013, 04:15 AM   #45
Dale Sams
Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
You guys are crazy. Anything Hamill lacks is from "Youcanwritethisshitgeorgebutyoucan'tsayititis ". The irony being that Ford sold his lines perfectly.
Doesn't that undercut your point? If Harrison Ford was able to sell his lines, that means it's possible to give the lines effectively.

Well...

1) I think Hamill does a great job. Acting isn't just line delivery, there's the matter of busy work like when he's cleaning the droids. Yes Luke is whiny a lot. I have no problem with that.

2) Ford doesn't have to say things like, "There's nothing left for me here, I want to go with you and become a Jedi like my father."..minutes after discovering the people who raised him are skeletons. Not to mention...as directed...Lucas isn't doing Hamill any favors in that scene.

I also greatly enjoy Luke in the Cantina scene. Especially his work with Ford. "10,000!! We could almost buy a ship for that much....we don't have to take this.."

I really don't understand it when people point to Hamill or Fischer. I think they both do wonderful work in the film.

"Will somebody get this walking carpet out of my way!!"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote