Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 22 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The Blu-Rays - question

So, my questions stems from the fact that I recently ordered the First Contact Blu-Ray disk online.. it was the best looking film in the TNG part of the franchise and I find it to be very re-watchable.

Before ordering it, I had also ordered a new copy (most of the disks of films I've had have been scratched, and I've been re-buying many films and trying to turn over a new leaf of not abusing them ) I did this because the two-disk collectors' set had some fantastic features. In particular, it had the audio commentaries. I mean, Moore and Braga are hilarious together.

The First Contact Blu-Ray only advertised a few scant special features, most notably a new audio commentary featuring some guy and the producer of the NuTrek. The artwork on the cover was crappy. Instead of having the awesome First Contact poster or teaser poster, it had a new picture, but much of the space was taken by a crummy rendition of the Starfleet insignia.

I was actually surprised when I put the disk in to learn that the Blu-ray was fantastic, and included nearly every single feature that the Collector's disk DVD set (it hardly mattered to me that some of these supplements were not in actual HD) and more! Thrilled, I gave my recently-purchased two disk set to a friend. It was only after I did that when I realized that the one other feature I liked from that set that wasn't included on the Blu-Ray: the Okudas' text commentary. It was seemingly replaced with the not-so-informative and annoying "library computer" feature.

Still I was most impressed with the disk. I am thinking about getting blu-rays for the other films (First Contact and Star Trek '09 are the only ones I have in BluRay).

Can someone offer me a little insight as to what each of the Star Trek features have on Blu-RAy in terms of special features. You don't have to list all of them, but I'm mainly interested audio commentaries, text commentaries, and the longer-form behind the scenes features, or other relevant features that seem to matter (like the Dangers of Peacemaking included on the TUC DVD set). The little five-minute features I'm less interested in and don't need to be listed here.

Thanks!
Old February 22 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: The Blu-Rays - question

Just go to Amazon.com or wherever to find an extensive list of special features! Hey presto, here's the Wrath Of Khan minutiae for example...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-II-R...f+khan+blu-ray
Old February 23 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

DVD Verdict = your friend.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Pineapples101
Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/

Is by far the best site for listing and comparing DVD and Blu Ray special features.

It includes listings for just about every different release of any Star Trek film and / or show.

I cannot recommend this site enough. Just search for Star Trek First Contact and you can see exactly what's on the Blu Rays and what was on the previous DVD editions.
Pineapples101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
LtChange
Commander

I must say you are coming out better with the big packs, like The Original Motion Picture Collection and The Next Generation Collection, because with the Original comes a very enjoyable round table with Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart and Frakes hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, and with the TNG collection comes the Evolutions disc which has some very good and in HD docus about Star Trek.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

LtChange wrote: View Post
I must say you are coming out better with the big packs, like The Original Motion Picture Collection and The Next Generation Collection, because with the Original comes a very enjoyable round table with Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart and Frakes hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, and with the TNG collection comes the Evolutions disc which has some very good and in HD docus about Star Trek.
I second this, the box sets are well worth having for those two extra discs alone.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote