RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 778
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 6 2013, 06:42 AM   #511
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

So, once Hook's ship left the magical confines of Storybrooke, did it become visible? The logistics of a sailing ship trying to dock in New York when piloted by someone unfamiliar with local procedures would be fun to watch.
Old March 6 2013, 09:43 AM   #512
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The ship wasn't cursed so there shouldn't be any restrictions to the town and it's made from magic wood.

That being said, magical items can hold a charge, but Storybrooke is like a big ass recharging platform.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 12:13 PM   #513
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

When they asked that question the response was "his ship can cloak." Maybe he has a treaty with the Romulans.

I'd be inclined to think it is still cloaked, because Gold's scarf was enchanted and that still works outside Storybrooke.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 01:29 PM   #514
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Emma actually used the word "Cloaked".

That is so Trek.

Old March 6 2013, 03:18 PM   #515
JanewayRulz!
Rear Admiral

^^Well... she IS a child of the late 20th century. No way she could avoid Star Trek in its many incarnations.
Old March 6 2013, 03:45 PM   #516
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Sure there is.

Most people in the first world, even during the 90s, have never sat through an entire episode, even if they know a few catch phrases as part of the group consensus.

A girl I knew once said "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

"You like Robocop?" I reply.

A dazed look turns into a sneer "No, what? Huh... Fuck you're weird."

Old March 6 2013, 04:09 PM   #517
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
^^Well... she IS a child of the late 20th century. No way she could avoid Star Trek in its many incarnations.
Interesting thing to think about - do they have tv/movies in Storybrooke? They have a library, are the books only ones they were available in the magical realm or are their normal-realm books, and if so could the fairytale characters read books about themselves?

Old March 6 2013, 04:45 PM   #518
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Interesting thing to think about - do they have tv/movies in Storybrooke? They have a library, are the books only ones they were available in the magical realm or are their normal-realm books, and if so could the fairytale characters read books about themselves?
I think the Storybrookers were aware of the fairy tales, even when they were cursed, which is why they didn't take Henry's crazy theories seriously--because he was talking about famous storybook characters that everybody knew weren't real.

Note that we never heard a conversation like this:

"He's thinks you're Snow White."

"Who?"
Old March 6 2013, 05:15 PM   #519
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I think the Storybrookers were aware of the fairy tales, even when they were cursed, which is why they didn't take Henry's crazy theories seriously--because he was talking about famous storybook characters that everybody knew weren't real.

Note that we never heard a conversation like this:

"He's thinks you're Snow White."

"Who?"
Hm true. I wonder in that case whether the original authors were either:

a) residents of the magical realm trapped in our world who used their home and people from it as basis for their stories

b) people from our world who journeyed into the magical realm, or had some link to it.

Unless in this world the book August wrote is the only source of fairytales.

Old March 6 2013, 06:51 PM   #520
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Grumpy mentioned the movie Splash a few episodes back,
Old March 6 2013, 07:10 PM   #521
Mister Fandango
Captain

I had a random thought earlier: What if neither Cora nor Regina are natives of the Enchanted Forest?

The reason the question came up in my mind is because Cora ''became'' the Queen of Hearts entirely too easily in Wonderland. If it were that easy to earn nobility in any of the magical realms, why wouldn't she have done that in the Enchanted Forest either before or after her banishment to Wonderland? The fact that she had a thing for hearts even before that banishment suggests a lot, too.

What's more, if you take a good, long look at Regina's father, particularly his outfit, he bears a striking resemblance to a certain inhabitant of Wonderland. Even the role he served after Regina became Queen is similar.

And then you have Regina herself. A fair, mostly innocent young woman who retained that general innocence until her mother had the love of her life murdered. If Cora was as evil and manipulative as we knew her to be, how did Regina succeed at being so relatively good for most of her life? What if, instead, she was a real girl who accidentally fell into Wonderland, thwarted Cora, and as payback Cora ''stole'' her away when they were throwing her out of Wonderland, and manipulated her into believing she was Cora's daughter?

The fact that they relied on the Mad Hatter for most of their dimensional hopping, and the Hatters obsession with Regina, is all just icing on the cake.

Like I said, just a random thought.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 11:28 PM   #522
JanewayRulz!
Rear Admiral

But wouldn't that ^^ negate the idea that Cora was the miller's daughter?
Old March 6 2013, 11:46 PM   #523
Mister Fandango
Captain

Not necessarily. Though trying to figure out the timeline in this show is bogglesome.
Old March 7 2013, 04:05 AM   #524
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Sure there is.

Most people in the first world, even during the 90s, have never sat through an entire episode, even if they know a few catch phrases as part of the group consensus.

A girl I knew once said "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

"You like Robocop?" I reply.

A dazed look turns into a sneer "No, what? Huh... Fuck you're weird."
Well that phrase didn't originate with Robocop and that wouldn't be the first thing that popped into my mind if heard it. In fact, I've seen Robocop more than once and don't recall the line being said.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 05:02 AM   #525
Mister Fandango
Captain

No, that phrase really was popularized by (as opposed to originated from) Robocop. Your personal memory notwithstanding.