Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 26 2013, 12:43 AM   #316
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Note to SNY: Fuck the Mets. I'm already sick of them 2 innings into a Feb preseason game.
Old February 26 2013, 01:25 AM   #317
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And a note to the NFL: Leave the Dodgers alone and don't make them move. Linky
There is no way that the Dodgers could be forced to move, considering they own Dodger Stadium outright and the NFL would have no standing to force them to abandon the location. They could have a dumptruck full of money put on their front lawn by the NFL, but the only thing that can actually force the Dodgers to move is the Dodgers themselves.

Traffic at Chavez Ravine is already ridiculous, though, due to the way the roads are constructed. There's no logistical way to fit another stadium in that area, especially because you'd need to rip up Dodger Stadium's parking lots, and now the ridiculous deal that Frank McCourt got for himself comes into play, as he owns 50 percent of the share in the lots and nothing can be developed on them without his consent.

The only arrangement that could work out here is if the NFL team rented use of the stadium from Guggenheim Partners, and even that comes with its own set of hurdles, like converting it from a Saturday baseball game to a Sunday football stadium.
Old February 26 2013, 01:30 AM   #318
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
There is no way that the Dodgers could be forced to move, considering they own Dodger Stadium outright and the NFL would have no standing to force them to abandon the location.
Well that's a relief.

The only arrangement that could work out here is if the NFL team rented use of the stadium from Guggenheim Partners, and even that comes with its own set of hurdles, like converting it from a Saturday baseball game to a Sunday football stadium.
Urgh. I think it'd be BETTER to demolish the stadium than do that. Remember what Angel Stadium looked like in the 80's?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old February 26 2013, 01:52 AM   #319
Timby

And there's no way the stadium will be demolished, considering that Guggenheim Partners just dumped $100 million into renovating the building from top to bottom.

This is a situation where the Dodgers have all the leverage and the NFL has exactly zero. The NFL's sniffing around Chavez Ravine because the sale of AEG has taken much longer than anyone predicted, and so construction of Farmers Field next to Staples Center is on hold because no one knows if whomever winds up buying AEG is going to want to dump $1.2 billion into a football stadium.
Old February 26 2013, 03:11 AM   #320
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ The article I linked to implies that the NFL's main problem with Farmers Field is that it won't own it. Typical.

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Note to SNY: Fuck the Mets. I'm already sick of them 2 innings into a Feb preseason game.
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from d'Arnaud and especially Wheeler.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old February 26 2013, 09:09 PM   #321
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
You see today Jenrry Mejia gave up a Grand Slam to Casey Kotchman in the first inning.
Old February 28 2013, 11:23 PM   #322
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The Indians are slashing concession prices in hopes of increasing attendance this year.

As long as they don't do a 10¢ beer night, they should be OK.

Ten Cent Beer Night was a promotion held by Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians during a game against the Texas Rangers at Cleveland Stadium on June 4, 1974. The idea behind the promotion was to attract more fans to the game by offering 12 U.S. fl oz (354.9 ml) cups of 3.2% beer for just 10 cents each (regular price was 65 cents) with a limit of six per purchase.[1] During the game, fans became heavily intoxicated, culminating in a riot in the ninth inning which caused the game to be forfeited due to the crowd's uncontrollable rowdiness and because the game could not be resumed in a timely manner.
As infamous as Disco Demolition, that one.
Old March 5 2013, 02:28 PM   #323
Use of Time
Commodore

Found this amusing for some reason.

Last edited by Use of Time; March 5 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old March 6 2013, 03:45 AM   #324
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Watching the Yankees/Braves game right now...Ken Singleton said that there are so many players in Yankee camp that they had to double up on numbers. I wonder why they don't go to three-digit numbers.

Hell, the Yanks have retired so many numbers that they'll probably have to do that sooner or later anyway.

Oh, and as much as we all love Lou Piniella as a manger, he needs to get far away from the broadcast booth as fast as he can.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old March 6 2013, 06:16 AM   #325
Timby

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Watching the Yankees/Braves game right now...Ken Singleton said that there are so many players in Yankee camp that they had to double up on numbers.
It's because Project 189 has forced the Yankees to go into desperation mode regarding their roster.

Oh, and as much as we all love Lou Piniella as a manger
Lou Piniella needs to crawl into a hole and never be seen nor heard from again.
Old March 6 2013, 04:38 PM   #326
Use of Time
Commodore

What is project 189? Does it involve A-Rod? I bet it involves A-Rod.
Old March 6 2013, 05:48 PM   #327
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Spring Training is too long. Wish the Season started in 2 weeks (Or even a week) instead of starting the first week of April. I think Preseason in all the sports are too long but Baseball is the worst.
Old March 6 2013, 07:19 PM   #328
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Spring Training is too long. Wish the Season started in 2 weeks (Or even a week) instead of starting the first week of April. I think Preseason in all the sports are too long but Baseball is the worst.
I agree that spring training is too long, but starting earlier would be risky, weather-wise. I'm pretty sure March baseball wouldn't go over too well in places like Minnesota.
Old March 6 2013, 07:56 PM   #329
Timby

Use of Time wrote: View Post
What is project 189? Does it involve A-Rod? I bet it involves A-Rod.
Hal Steinbrenner has publicly said that the Yankees intend to get their payroll down to the $189 million luxury tax threshold by next year. This is why they had such a quiet offseason, let Swisher walk, etc.
Old March 6 2013, 08:29 PM   #330
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I agree that spring training is too long, but starting earlier would be risky, weather-wise. I'm pretty sure March baseball wouldn't go over too well in places like Minnesota.
Playing baseball in late October/November wouldn't go well in some cities either, as we've seen in this decade. Since they're not going to shorten the season, why not start in the final week of March?