Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 5 2013, 05:03 PM   #1891
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

^ Perhaps. Maybe I'm just happy for some focus to be on him. I enjoyed Traitor Winds but he ended up taking a beating in that one as well. Come to think of it, every time I think of an episode or movie with Chekov he is having a tough time.

Hand burned in TMP, ear worm in TWOK, shot and "killed" in Spectre of the Gun. Maybe he is the O'Brien and Geordi of TOS.
Old March 5 2013, 05:40 PM   #1892
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
^ Perhaps. Maybe I'm just happy for some focus to be on him. I enjoyed Traitor Winds but he ended up taking a beating in that one as well. Come to think of it, every time I think of an episode or movie with Chekov he is having a tough time.

Hand burned in TMP, ear worm in TWOK, shot and "killed" in Spectre of the Gun. Maybe he is the O'Brien and Geordi of TOS.
Don't forget falling off the aircraft carrier and needing emergency brain surgery in TVH . . . .
Old March 5 2013, 05:57 PM   #1893
Sci
Admiral

Ended up re-reading all of Andrew J. Robinson's A Stitch in Time while waiting for my omnibus edition of the George Smiley/Karla trilogy by John le Carré to arrive.

Currently working my way through the first novel in that trilogy, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. About a third of the way through it; loving it.

Trying to decide if I want to move straight on right away to The Honourable Schoolboy, or if I'd like to read something else. If I break it up, I'm trying to decide between American Gods by Neil Gaiman, or a nonfiction book -- possibly A History of White People by Nell Irvin Painter, or possibly American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard.
Old March 5 2013, 08:23 PM   #1894
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just published my latest review: March's new Trek release, Tony Daniel's Devil's Bargain.

Currently still slogging my way through Piercing the Darkness.
Old March 5 2013, 09:14 PM   #1895
Relayer1
Commodore

Just starting the third Steig Larsson 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' novel - reading then back to back.

Enjoying them but slightly disappointed - there's rather too much reliance on coincidence in the plotting...
Old March 5 2013, 09:39 PM   #1896
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
A History of White People by Nell Irvin Painter
This is really good stuff.
Old March 5 2013, 10:24 PM   #1897
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading Percahnce to dream By Howard Weistein.I really like his Dr.McCoy novel The Better man.It's been a really good story focused on McCoy's past as a Starfleet officer.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 01:18 PM   #1898
Use of Time
Commodore

Just started Black Fire by Sonni Cooper. This is a book that I've rarely seen mentioned on the BBS in the worst book or favorite book threads in the BBS. I'll have to see for myself.
Old March 6 2013, 03:56 PM   #1899
Christopher
Writer

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just started Black Fire by Sonni Cooper. This is a book that I've rarely seen mentioned on the BBS in the worst book or favorite book threads in the BBS. I'll have to see for myself.
Ohh, you're in for a ride. Black Fire is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of book -- very ambitious yet totally crazy. It's one of the most fanficcy novels Pocket has ever published.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 04:21 PM   #1900
Use of Time
Commodore

As far as I know this was Sonni Cooper's only shot at a Star Trek novel. I'm 40 pages in and the dialogue screams "amateur hour" but it's pretty short so I'll see it through.

*Edit.

No, I'm sorry to say this is in the running for the worst Star Trek book I have every read. The dialogue trots out every cliche known to mankind. I had to stop when Kirk goes to make a log and gets the message "If you're reading this, then I am probably dead."

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. I am currently rereading all of the pocket books in no particular order and I have been able to plow through anything from Carey to Culbreath/Marshak. The quality of this book is so far below the typical Pocket standard that I can't fathom how this book was ever published.

Last edited by Use of Time; March 6 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:10 PM   #1901
Christopher
Writer

^Like I said, you either love Black Fire or you loathe it. It's kind of like Silver Age DC comics -- you can either be aghast at the total insanity and nonsense of it all, or be delighted by how entertainingly ludicrous and over-the-top it is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 08:19 PM   #1902
Use of Time
Commodore

I've seen crazier stories in the pocket universe but I just can't get past the dialogue. I can't put it into words. Its like you know professional writing when you see it and you know what it looks like if your typical BBSer were to take a shot at a novel. Its like that. Only way I know how to describe it.
Old March 6 2013, 08:50 PM   #1903
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Just finished 'Q in Law' by Peter David. A very enjoyable read but a bit light on plot. 3.5/5

Next up is a re-read of 'Rough Beasts of Empire'
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:01 AM   #1904
Lonemagpie
Writer

Prisoner Of The Daleks by Trevor Baxendale - now one of only a handful of nu Who books I've read, and so far easily the best. The Daleks are great, the Doctor is suitably Ten-ish, and it all rattles along nicely. It's a bit weird at first that they use that font from the 60s comics for Dalek dialogue, but it works sufficiently well that the one line from Dalek X that's accidentally printed in the regular typeface really stands out.

So, overall, great fun!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:22 AM   #1905
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm reading Paths of Disharmony (even though I've already read the TP books that come after it) and its a struggle. I already know whats going to happen, but I didn't know that
I'll finish it, but its not very good. Also, the font seems about one size too small, but thats not an issue when it comes to why I don't like the book.

After this, its on to Devil's Bargain, then To Reign in Hell.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote