A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 5 2013, 08:01 PM   #5356
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Gojira wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't trust that review, mostly because I liked Iron Man 2 (it wasn't as good as IM1, but its a solid movie, although the villain sucks) and hated TDK, the opposite of the reviewer. Plus, the person states they don't care how Superman/Clark Kent has been in comics, so that probably means that this superman is just as dark and brooding as I thought Nolan would make him. This movie does sound like Nolan's style of garbage. The movie sounds like exactly what I expected. Nolan's Batman movies with a Superman skin. Comparing it to The Matrix is just weird, and comparing it to Batman Begins means that it may just be mediocre, not horrible (Batman begins being the only Nolan movie I don't hate, although it wasn't a good movie by any means, it was just extremely mediocre). There is a chance the movie may be slighty better than TDK or Rises, since there isn't much chance that Cavill could be a worse actor than Bale, but its still going to be the worst of the SM movies.
Regarding the higlighted section. Your mind is closed and made up. What would itt ake for you to go to the movie with a more open mind?
They'd have to fire Nolan, then rewrite and reshoot the movie. Just from that review, it seems to be reeking of Nolan. Since I think he's a talentless hack who made the worst superhero film I've ever seen, I am definately going to hate everything he does, and MoS looks to be his movie, regardless of the fact that he's not the director. I mean, every producer (according to wikipedia) worked with nolan on his horrible Batman movies, and the writer wrote TDK (and Rises). They literally just took everyone who worked on one of my most hated movies and put them on MoS. I can't have an open mind about this movie. Its made by people whose work I have hated in the past. The only way I could hate it more is if Abrams and the writers who wrote Transformers/Star Trek 2009 were involved. So, no I can't have a more open mind about this movie.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^I'm guessing a brain transplant.
Well, I would take a lobotomy to make Nolan's stuff seem good
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 08:07 PM   #5357
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

But you're still going to see it a couple of times, right?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 08:16 PM   #5358
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

No, I'm not. I'll see it when the library gets it on DVD. Even if I had the money/transportation to get to the nearest theatre (about 25 miles away) I wouldn't waste my time/money on it. When TDK came out, I almost went and saw it (Since its the movie that made me hate Nolan, I was actually originally hopeful that it would be good). But, luckily it was crowded so my brother, dad and I decided it would be better to go see Tropic Thunder. it was a great decision. We saw a funny comedy, and it delayed having to see the worst Superhero movie ever for months. Of course, my dad did by it on DVD when it came out, which turned out to be a waste of money (something my brother, dad and I agree on, although they don't have the same Nolan hate I do, they just don't bother with his movies at all after TDK). I've never actually seen a movie more than once in theatres (well, except Lion King apparently, but I hadn't even turned 4 yet, and don't really remember, my Dad just talks about taking me twice), but I definately wouldn't see a Nolan movie even once. I've been fairly lucky with seeing movies, the only bad ones I've seen were 10,000 BC, Star Trek 2009 and Pink Panther. but, I haven't seen a movie in about 2 years because of money and transportation issues (missing Avengers and the Hobbit in theatres sucked) so I don't see myself seeing any movies on the big screen for the forseeable future, much less movies I know I'll hate.
Old March 5 2013, 08:25 PM   #5359
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

No, I'm not. I'll see it when the library gets it on DVD.
So, you'll see it.
It's not important if you see it on the big screen or a free dvd. You'll still be wasting time watching a movie you hate already. And then wasting more time talking about it online most likely.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 08:34 PM   #5360
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
No, I'm not. I'll see it when the library gets it on DVD.
So, you'll see it.
It's not important if you see it on the big screen or a free dvd. You'll still be wasting time watching a movie you hate already. And then wasting more time talking about it online most likely.
Well, I saw The Dark Knight Rises on DVD, even after despising TDK. It all comes down to the fact that I have a morbid curiosity to see what new levels of suck Nolan and other people will go too. Now, I don't watch most movies I think will be bad. But, this is a superman movie. I'll watch it, on DVD for free. Its not like they put out a hundred superhero movies a year, so even bad ones with characters I know are worth glancing at. My time isn't super valuable anyway. If there is a few good fight scenes, or some especially bad acting/dialog/plot points to laugh at or mock, spending a few hours watching it will be worth it. If its unwatchable, I'll stop watching and return the DVD to the library. I'm a fan of comics and superheros, so I usually check out even the superhero movies I know I won't like. Its the same reason I'll watch ST: Into Darkness on dVD. I actually hate Abrams a bit more than Nolan (although they're pretty close when it comes to being horrible), but since there is literally no Trek besides the books, I'll watch what they put out, but not support it monetarily. Same goes with superhero movies. I know I'll like most of the Marvel stuff, and they make a good amount. WB doesn't do many superhero movies, so I'll atleast check out what they do put out, even if I know it will be bad.
Old March 5 2013, 08:36 PM   #5361
Gojira
Commodore

They'd have to fire Nolan, then rewrite and reshoot the movie. Just from that review, it seems to be reeking of Nolan. Since I think he's a talentless hack who made the worst superhero film I've ever seen, I am definately going to hate everything he does, and MoS looks to be his movie, regardless of the fact that he's not the director. I mean, every producer (according to wikipedia) worked with nolan on his horrible Batman movies, and the writer wrote TDK (and Rises). They literally just took everyone who worked on one of my most hated movies and put them on MoS. I can't have an open mind about this movie. Its made by people whose work I have hated in the past. The only way I could hate it more is if Abrams and the writers who wrote Transformers/Star Trek 2009 were involved. So, no I can't have a more open mind about this movie.
I certainly cannot change your mind. For me I like to go into a movie with an open mind. I just never have hated a director to the degree you feel toward Nolan.

Going into a movie already hating it is the very definition of prejudice, prejudgement, and I just don't want to have prejudices toawrd things. Not good for my mind or soul.
Old March 5 2013, 08:42 PM   #5362
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I can understand what you're saying. But, I hate everything he's done since Batman begins (and that movie was not good, just not terrible). Its a trend that hasn't changed, he hasn't gotten any better. So, its not hard to say what I've said about MoS, because of how badly I hate his work. Its like how I hate spicy food. I've always disliked spicy food, and it doesn't matter if you make it in a different way or what it is, I still hate it. Nolan's like that. I hate his work and the way he does things. No matter what skin you put on it, its still nolan's work.
Old March 5 2013, 08:46 PM   #5363
Gojira
Commodore

I can understand what you're saying. But, I hate everything he's done since Batman begins (and that movie was not good, just not terrible). Its a trend that hasn't changed, he hasn't gotten any better. So, its not hard to say what I've said about MoS, because of how badly I hate his work. Its like how I hate spicy food. I've always disliked spicy food, and it doesn't matter if you make it in a different way or what it is, I still hate it. Nolan's like that. I hate his work and the way he does things. No matter what skin you put on it, its still nolan's work.
Since Nolan was only the producer do you know how much infleunce he had on making the film?
Old March 5 2013, 11:58 PM   #5364
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
Since Nolan was only the producer do you know how much infleunce he had on making the film?
Every producer of MoS worked on TDK and Rises. The writer of MoS wrote TDK and Rises. Its not just Nolan, its his whole crew of idiots. Even a great director couldn't fight this much influence from TDK and Rises.
Old March 6 2013, 04:33 AM   #5365
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Steven Spielberg produced Transformers. I'm calling bullshit on a director not being able to override the influence of a producer.
Old March 6 2013, 12:35 PM   #5366
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Good job not giving any credit whatsoever to Zack Snyder, you know, the director of the film. Once again, Nolan did just re-writes on the script prior to production on the film. That's pretty only the direct influence from him that I'm aware about, aside from helping hire Snyder as well of course.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 12:55 PM   #5367
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

So, we know everything about Man of Steel now, even though none of us have seen it.

The Internet is truly amazing. It's like we've directly plugged into the brains of those couple of bloggers who've witnessed the advanced screening(s).

We really don't even need to buy tickets, do we. I'm just going to stay home. You all can be my Surrogates and tell me what the movie's like.

Tell me what to think.
Old March 6 2013, 01:35 PM   #5368
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I am actually surprised how little of this film has leaked out. Outside of those early screenings we have not been flooded by images and reports and leaks and the usual fodder. I may actually break my theater ban and go and see this one on the big screen.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 01:37 PM   #5369
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
So, we know everything about Man of Steel now, even though none of us have seen it.

The Internet is truly amazing. It's like we've directly plugged into the brains of those couple of bloggers who've witnessed the advanced screening(s).

We really don't even need to buy tickets, do we. I'm just going to stay home. You all can be my Surrogates and tell me what the movie's like.

Tell me what to think.
Also, be sure to never, ever, ever voice your opinion -- informed or otherwise -- on an Internet discussion forum. Because that's totally not what they're there for.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 05:50 PM   #5370
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action.
See, sheer idiocy like this is the reason not to trust this review. The Reeve version made a generation believe a man could fly. The wire take-offs and landings were breathtaking throughout all 4.

Last edited by A beaker full of death; March 6 2013 at 06:01 PM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote