IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2013, 03:54 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Even when you think of our only other comics red head - Black Widow - they did integrate her more glamourous side into the character we got in the movie.
"Only other comics redhead?" What about Jean Grey or Mystique? Or Banshee or Daredevil? Or Jimmy Olsen? Not to mention the huge number of redheads who haven't been in movies yet -- Medusa, Rachel and Hope Summers, Carnage, Barbara Gordon, Lana Lang, Poison Ivy, Wally West, Batwoman, Miss Martian, Guy Gardner, Mera, Red Sonja, Caitlin Fairchild, etc.

Redheads are disproportionately common in comics, partly because of the limited color palettes of old comics, and partly because red hair is visually striking. Heck, even Lex Luthor was a redhead when he had hair.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a non super-model MJ it's just... hey she was a model and actress in the comics for almost 30-40 years - nearly as long as she's been around. The ore "brainy" MJ is still fairly 'new' - even if it's a concept that's almost 10-13 years old at this point.
Okay, there's a certain logic flaw here. What I'm hearing is "This MJ must not be an actress or a model because she looks like Shailene Woodley." But... Shailene Woodley is an actress -- otherwise we wouldn't be talking about whether she's the right person to play a character in a movie. In fact, she's a rather successful actress who's been getting a whole bunch of awards and nominations for a few years now. And she has, in fact, been modeling since she was four years old.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:49 PM   #62
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Not to mention the huge number of redheads who haven't been in movies yet -- Lana Lang, Poison Ivy.
Both of these characters have appeared in live action movies and both with red hair.
Old February 28 2013, 05:10 PM   #63
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Not to mention the huge number of redheads who haven't been in movies yet -- Lana Lang, Poison Ivy.
Both of these characters have appeared in live action movies and both with red hair.
Yeah the "Face it, Tiger..." bit is what I think of when I think of MJ where she's shown to be a stunning, red-haired, beauty.

Again, this is not to malign the looks of the young woman who got the part -she's perfectly attractive- but she's not jaw-droppingly "jackpot" gorgeous like the iconic panel from Spider-man.

Remains to be seen though, I'm not ready to write off the actress or the movie yet, it's just a little oddity in the casting is all. How it comes across on screen will matter, much, much more.
Old February 28 2013, 05:17 PM   #64
Christopher
Writer

Oops. I got so caught up in tracking down examples that I forgot what my parameters were. And admittedly, when I thought about Lana Lang, I only remembered Kristin Kreuk, even though Annette O'Toole's Lana was the best thing about Superman III.

Anyway, the point is, comics = lots o' gingers.

Old February 28 2013, 05:20 PM   #65
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah the "Face it, Tiger..." bit is what I think of when I think of MJ where she's shown to be a stunning, red-haired, beauty.
But again they seem to be going for the Ultimate version of the charater, you know like they did for Bucky Barnes, Iron Man, Nick Fury, Captain America's costume, when they used to Chitauri instead of the Skrulls, and the Hulk's backstory.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:22 PM   #66
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Again, this is not to malign the looks of the young woman who got the part -she's perfectly attractive- but she's not jaw-droppingly "jackpot" gorgeous like the iconic panel from Spider-man.

Remains to be seen though, I'm not ready to write off the actress or the movie yet, it's just a little oddity in the casting is all. How it comes across on screen will matter, much, much more.
This whole line of discussion =

Anyway, the point is, comics = lots o' gingers.
As it should be.
Old February 28 2013, 06:28 PM   #67
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The point I tried to make with what I said re: MJ seems to have been missed, so here's what I was trying to get across: no-one should be dismissing an actress because she doesn't fit the 616 comics description of MJ. Just because there were some 'unflattering' images of Woodley that surfaced should mean absolutely nothing with regards to whether or not she was right for the part.
Old February 28 2013, 06:31 PM   #68
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
... Again, this is not to malign the looks of the young woman who got the part -she's perfectly attractive- but she's not jaw-droppingly "jackpot" gorgeous like the iconic panel from Spider-man...
This whole line of discussion =
I couldn't agree more. So long as she never hears Spider-Man and Peter Parker use the same phrase in less than five in-movie continuity minutes and still fails to realize they're the same guy, I expect I'll be happy.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 07:59 PM   #69
Darth Duck
Commodore

"If You Think Shailene Woodley Isn't Pretty Enough For The Amazing Spider-Man 2, You Don't Deserve This Movie"

You know why she doesn't look like the character from the comics, with an exaggerated waist and enormous breasts? Because she's a fucking human being, with a bone structure and muscles and fat and all the things that allow her to move about in the world, not just to sit down and pose like a sex fantasy. The Amazing Spider-Man made a concerted effort toward making Peter Parker's world realer, making the flirtation between him and Gwen Stacy feel more authentic and even the costumes more realistic. Shailene Woodley, who showed amazing naturalism in The Descendants as well as her acclaimed Sundance film The Spectacular Now, ought to fit into that perfectly. To criticize her natural looks is to miss the entire aesthetic of the franchise as Marc Webb has re-imagined it.
I think the role of Mary-Jane is in safe hands. Ms. Woodley was fan-freaking-tastic in The Descendants.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 12:23 AM   #70
Aldo
Admiral

I knew I recognized her from somewhere. Not a bad movie, The Descendants, bit too depressing for me.

And I agree, she's a terrific actress. The role is in good hands.
Old March 4 2013, 08:48 PM   #71
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
it still looks implausibly high-tech for something a high-schooler put together in his bedroom.
Yep. I've always longed for a Spidey movie in which the suit looks like cheap store-bought rubbish. Kinda like Kick-Ass.

The caption for this photo says it was from filming 'a few days ago'. However, it looks like the old suit? I'm going to assume it's bullshit reporting though as it's from The Daily Fail but you never know...

Well it wouldn't be the first super hero movie to change the suit during in the movie instead of between movies. So it could just be that he starts Amazing 2 in the old suit and at some point switches to the new one.

Also It doesn't look exactly like the Rami suit, frankly it looks a little better than it, mostly the eyes.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 09:46 PM   #72
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

My friends at Tor Books report that they're actually filming the movie outside the Flatiron Building today.
Old March 4 2013, 10:04 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

I wonder if they're using it to represent the Daily Bugle again. That might be a little confusing, continuity-wise.

Old March 5 2013, 12:43 AM   #74
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I wonder if they're using it to represent the Daily Bugle again. That might be a little confusing, continuity-wise.
I can't remember. Did we see the Bugle in that last movie?
Old March 5 2013, 01:19 AM   #75
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I can't remember. Did we see the Bugle in that last movie?
We saw copies of the actual physical newspaper as props or set dressing, but we didn't see the Bugle's building, offices, or personnel.