IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 4 2013, 03:35 PM   #16
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Transformers Movies, why are they popular?

They are fun and entertaining. Was that a secret?
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Giant robots from an alien planet making their home on earth with a vow to protect the population from their evil robot adversaries is a very cool concept indeed.
It's probably cool when you're nine years old, but I have to say that, as an adult, it leaves me completely cold, and I enjoy quite a lot of idiotic stuff.

Well judging from the insane Box Office returns, I'd say you're in the minority
Old March 4 2013, 05:40 PM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Well judging from the insane Box Office returns, I'd say you're in the minority
True, which is why this thread exists: why are these terrible movies, these movies without characters, without plot, without acting, without charm or wit, why are these monstrously inept movies popular?
Old March 4 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

Well I am assuming that not liking the concept is a part of why you don't like the movies. So my reasoning could still be correct, many people could find the concept cool enough to overlook the deficiency in its presentation.

Honestly, I can't think of many other reasons why people like them, they are really bad films.
Old March 4 2013, 06:33 PM   #20
davejames
Vice Admiral

True, which is why this thread exists: why are these terrible movies, these movies without characters, without plot, without acting, without charm or wit, why are these monstrously inept movies popular?
Because people want to see huge, cheesy, action-packed blockbusters during the summer, and Michael Bay has proven that he can deliver that.

Plus: kids love Transformers.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Romulan_spy
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Because people want to see huge, cheesy, action-packed blockbusters during the summer, and Michael Bay has proven that he can deliver that.

Plus: kids love Transformers.
Exactly. The fact is that there are millions of movie goers who just want mindless entertainment. They don't care if the acting or the photography is worthy of an Oscar. They want action and sex. Transformers is popular the same reason WWE wrestling is popular!
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 06:57 PM   #22
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Exactly. The fact is that there are millions of movie goers who just want mindless entertainment. They don't care if the acting or the photography is worthy of an Oscar. They want action and sex. Transformers is popular the same reason WWE wrestling is popular!
But if that were that simple, that kind of success could be replicated by anyone.
Old March 4 2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Why do you think the Transformers movies are popular? In my opinion, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies I ever saw, it was racist, sexist and profoundly stupid. Also it was 2 and half hours long and not coherent at all.
Again, I speak for myself.

There are giant robots that turn in to sportscars, monster trucks and F-22's and hot babes. And all of them shoot at each other.

My question is why isn't Michael Bay president yet?

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:30 PM   #24
billcosby
Commodore

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Why do you think the Transformers movies are popular? In my opinion, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies I ever saw, it was racist, sexist and profoundly stupid. Also it was 2 and half hours long and not coherent at all.
While your observations are not incorrect, for me it was a hoot to see all my favorite childhood toys come to life.

I did feel bad for whoever else in the theater wasn't a rabid fan of Transformers as a kid. I went with my little cousin, uncle and wife. Afterwards my uncle turned to me and said, "I have no idea what the hell was happening for the past 2.5 hours."

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:38 PM   #25
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

i think i the concept of transformers is fine, the problem is michael bay. think what a good director could do with that franchise

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:43 PM   #26
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Exactly. The fact is that there are millions of movie goers who just want mindless entertainment. They don't care if the acting or the photography is worthy of an Oscar.
Almost correct. I think the TF movies are so popular in large part because they are so bad. Allow me to quote Roger Ebert's review of New York Minute:
They say baseball is popular because everyone thinks they can play it. Similar reasoning may explain the popularity of the Olsen twins: Teenage girls love them because they believe they could be them. What, after all, do Mary-Kate and Ashley do in "New York Minute" that could not be done by any reasonably presentable female adolescent? Their careers are founded not on what they do, but on the vicarious identification of their fans, who enjoy seeing two girls making millions for doing what just about anybody could do.
I think a similar effect is at work here: the great unwashed hordes love the TF movies precisely because the material is so stupid, anyone could write it. And very few really competent directors in Hollywood are as eager to make brainless dreck as Bay.

TF is the Nascar/WWE/George W. Bush/Burger King of film.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:58 PM   #27
jayceee
Commander

Gaith wrote: View Post
The same can probably be said of many other action movies and tv shows.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 08:12 PM   #28
Romulan_spy
Commodore

But if that were that simple, that kind of success could be replicated by anyone.
And in some ways, it is replicated. There are ton of action movies every summer that do quite well.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 11:32 PM   #29
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Exactly. The fact is that there are millions of movie goers who just want mindless entertainment. They don't care if the acting or the photography is worthy of an Oscar.
Almost correct. I think the TF movies are so popular in large part because they are so bad. Allow me to quote Roger Ebert's review of New York Minute:
They say baseball is popular because everyone thinks they can play it. Similar reasoning may explain the popularity of the Olsen twins: Teenage girls love them because they believe they could be them. What, after all, do Mary-Kate and Ashley do in "New York Minute" that could not be done by any reasonably presentable female adolescent? Their careers are founded not on what they do, but on the vicarious identification of their fans, who enjoy seeing two girls making millions for doing what just about anybody could do.
I think a similar effect is at work here: the great unwashed hordes love the TF movies precisely because the material is so stupid, anyone could write it. And very few really competent directors in Hollywood are as eager to make brainless dreck as Bay.

Hey! I like Burger King!

But you are right.. it's brainless fun and often enough people want/need that (including me).

I enjoyed TF1, hated 2 and liked 3 but they're not on my hotlist of movies to own. It looks gorgeous on HD and apart from certain bad, Bay-esque filming styles i was entertained and sometimes that's the only thing i demand from a movie.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 02:45 AM   #30
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The problem with the Transformers movies is that the Transformers were secondary characters and mostly comic relief in their own damn movie. The movie was more focused on Shia LeBouff's stammering antics, Megan Fox's ass and pursed, breathy, lips; comic relief characters and nearly offensive racial stereotypes.