RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Posts: 5,429,713
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 540
Newest member: voyagerman49


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 4 2013, 04:53 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I also think it's kind of funny that Jeri Ryan played her character so well and in such an acerbic manner as to render any potential sexiness null. IMO of course.
I've always said the same. And more power to her for it!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Neelix displayed more passion cooking dinner, than Seven expressed during the seduction of Harry Kim.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the uniform, which Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige with.

Moore himself has commented how ridiculous Seven's catsuit was, calling it "eye candy with no content".
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Who could have anticipated that we were the Ferengi hungering for our FE-males to be more kaid down with clothing?

Seriously.

That was the 80s philosophy manifest.

Only naked women like sex.

(Morons.)
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:20 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Dream wrote: View Post
It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the uniform, which Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige with.

Moore himself has commented how ridiculous Seven's catsuit was, calling it "eye candy with no content".
LOL, did he say it with a straight face?

No Content? Is he blind, Seven's catsuit was busting out with contents

Seriously, though, other than Marina Sirtis having wider hips, there was really no difference in the revealing-ness of their costumes. There is no more justification for Troi's outfit than there was for Seven's. They both showed off every bit as much of the wearers body as the other, and neither could be justified with anything other than being eye candy
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Actually a formfitting costume can be justified as providing support and freedom of movement. That's why athletes wear formfitting garments. And particularly a futuristic, high-tech garment would benefit from being formfitting in that it could provide dynamic support to the muscles and joints, wick away perspiration and dirt, regulate body temperature, and the like. The only benefit of a looser garment, in that case, would be modesty, which is an arbitrary cultural convention that someone like Seven of Nine or T'Pol, would have little regard for. It is, after all, illogical to compromise efficiency and practicality for the sake of the emotion of embarrassment.

Although, admittedly, that would be far more plausible an explanation if we had seen male Vulcan officers dress in equally formfitting garments. For me, the problem isn't that Seven and T'Pol dressed that way, it's that nobody else did.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:21 PM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually a formfitting costume can be justified as providing support and freedom of movement. That's why athletes wear formfitting garments. And particularly a futuristic, high-tech garment would benefit from being formfitting in that it could provide dynamic support to the muscles and joints, wick away perspiration and dirt, regulate body temperature, and the like. The only benefit of a looser garment, in that case, would be modesty, which is an arbitrary cultural convention that someone like Seven of Nine or T'Pol, would have little regard for. It is, after all, illogical to compromise efficiency and practicality for the sake of the emotion of embarrassment.

Although, admittedly, that would be far more plausible an explanation if we had seen male Vulcan officers dress in equally formfitting garments. For me, the problem isn't that Seven and T'Pol dressed that way, it's that nobody else did.
Yea, T'Pol and Kira, were more the Action/Adventure type, so the athletic bnefits of the form fitting clothes could be used for them, but, Seven and Troi, don't really fit that category since Seven wore her cat suits all the time, even with months of no planet around to land on for Action/Adventure, and Troi was a Councilor, so, her job typically didn't involve any Action/Adventure
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Seven's "catsuit" was initially meant to be a garment that protected her skin as it healed and to replace some of the functions of her Borg exoskeleton. (According to behind-the-scenes interviews, the high heels allegedly contained extra bits of tech that she couldn't do without, like balance-enhancing mechanisms. Supposedly the Doctor placed them there to avoid unsightly bulges elsewhere.) Although that doesn't really justify why she kept wearing it for four years.

As for Troi, well, we know that Betazoids aren't much for body modesty. Maybe close-fitting garments are simply their fashion.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:31 PM   #24
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for Troi, well, we know that Betazoids aren't much for body modesty. Maybe close-fitting garments are simply their fashion.
Sure. My point was, though, Moore had no business capping on Seven's Catsuit as nothing but "Eye Candy", while thinking nothing of putting Troi in something that's no different
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:52 PM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the uniform, which Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige with.

Moore himself has commented how ridiculous Seven's catsuit was, calling it "eye candy with no content".
LOL, did he say it with a straight face?

No Content? Is he blind, Seven's catsuit was busting out with contents
I assume he meant erotic content. As in, Seven never even actually got it on with anyone.


Sindatur wrote: View Post
There is no more justification for Troi's outfit than there was for Seven's. They both showed off every bit as much of the wearers body as the other, and neither could be justified with anything other than being eye candy
At least Seven wasn't Starfleet.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 12:10 AM   #26
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the uniform, which Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige with.

Moore himself has commented how ridiculous Seven's catsuit was, calling it "eye candy with no content".
LOL, did he say it with a straight face?
Here are Moore's comments about VOY:

Skip to "PART IV: RON MOORE WORKS ON STAR TREK: VOYAGER" section to get to the catsuit comments.

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 01:19 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

That's just what people wore in the future.

By the time Seven rolled around, there was nothing oversexualized or gratuitous about what she was wearing at all.

I didn't understand the fuss the week the episode came out, and I still don't.

All this talk about Seven's incontinence is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Thete
Ensign
 
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Thete
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
That's just what people wore in the future.

By the time Seven rolled around, there was nothing oversexualized or gratuitous about what she was wearing at all.

I didn't understand the fuss the week the episode came out, and I still don't.

All this talk about Seven's incontinence is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Interesting point.

That said, if that's not the case, and men and women objectify one another and dress to impress in such a way, that may not be a bad thing ever. True acceptance of sexual desire is a long way of IMO.

I'll stop posting this sort of thing now as I may or may not know what I'm talking abou.
__________________
"Now you are asking me to sabotage that achievement, to send them back into the dark ages of superstition and ignorance and fear? No!"
~ Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Thete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:35 AM   #29
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
As for Troi, well, we know that Betazoids aren't much for body modesty. Maybe close-fitting garments are simply their fashion.
Sure. My point was, though, Moore had no business capping on Seven's Catsuit as nothing but "Eye Candy", while thinking nothing of putting Troi in something that's no different
Moore took Troi OUT of the catsuit and put her into a starfleet uniform. He had nothing to do with Troi being in the catsuit originally.
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme

Last edited by BruntFCA; March 5 2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 10:41 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has there ever been a good reason...

^Right, since Moore didn't come on staff until season 3.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.