Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #1351
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

So when they take their time to tell a story (season 2) people complain, but now too much is happening within a certain space of time? You can't have it both ways.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:09 PM   #1352
Rhaven
Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I know a lot of people have commented that they've felt badly for the hitchhiker but even in the best of times I think most people would've passed him by. Who knows what psychos are out there now...I would imagine that in the zombie apocalypse there'd be even more dangerous people out there.
I see your point; he even yelled something to the effect that he was okay (meaning not sick), but who would take that chance. For all anyone realized, he could have been bait for a larger group hiding in the woods, or had some association with the governor.
The poor guy ended up as stains on the pavement. I see the wisdom of not trusting strangers, but part of me would want to save another human.
Old March 4 2013, 03:20 PM   #1353
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Its been some time since the 1st episode, if you jump ahead, Michonne and Andrea were supposed to be on their own for 8 months, so all considered, the series internal clock has to be closer to two years.
But Rick specifically says to Morgan it's been 1 year since they last saw each other.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:42 PM   #1354
Kosh Naranek
Captain

My mother was really distressed by the hitcher. Passing him by and then taking his pack after he became zombie fodder was just too callous for her. It was a big turn off.

I think the episode was a turning point for Rick though. He saw what became of a good person when totally isolated.

My total "oh no" moment was when I saw Duane's name scrawled on that wall. I knew that he had to be gone, but seeing his name up there just gave me chills and deepened the sadness.

I am glad that Michonne opened up to Carl. It was a great bonding moment. We saw Carl go from parroting what Rick told him to making his own decision about her.

That cat was godawful ugly. Ha-ha!

I did not miss the Woodbury subplot at all. Tyrese and his sister can get out of there and let the rest of that nonsense go.
Old March 4 2013, 03:47 PM   #1355
Kytee
Commander

Favorite episode of the season for sure, I think between Morgan and the hiker it really drives homw the point that you cant go it alone,
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:26 PM   #1356
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Gotham Central wrote: View Post
the same problem while searching for Sophia.

I don't say this often about most shows, but this show desperately needs a serious time jump. In order for Carl to stick around they are going to have to explain why he looks years older.
Agreed. Rick says to Morgan it's been approx 1 year since they last saw each other but as you note Carl looks a lot older than only the passage of 1 year and maybe it's me but they've compressed to much shit to have happened in such a short time period.

1. Rick wakes up from coma

2. Goes to Atlanta

3. Goes to camp

4. Then CDC

5. Carl is shot

6. Has a miracle recovery in just a few days

7. Lori pregnant

8. They camp out on the farm for unknown period of time.

9. Leave farm

10. Go to the prison

11. Andrea lands in Woodbury

12. Another unknown period of time passes in the prison after baby is born

13. Nowthey return to King County

Lori was just pregnant when Rick arrived at the group, she just had the baby, it takes 10 months to have a baby. That is really the only firm time indicator we have.

though in the early days of the show they were going day to day and I counted less than 2 weeks from Rick waking up to arriving on the farm.

as to the hitchiker, you gotta wonder where he's been the last year. What is he doing running down the road yelling?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:36 PM   #1357
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

But Rick specifically says to Morgan it's been 1 year since they last saw each other.
That doesn't mean it's been exactly a year and a day. It could be a year plus several months. Or Rick could be wrong about the amount of time elapsed because he's barely slept. Why does that matter?

As for the hitchhiker being dumb because he's screaming, we don't know that he screamed as a matter of habit. He saw salvation and it was driving away from him. Wouldn't anyone scream in desperation?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; March 4 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:38 PM   #1358
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Lori was just pregnant when Rick arrived at the group, she just had the baby, it takes 10 months to have a baby. That is really the only firm time indicator we have.
To the other posters point though, it's clear that Carl has aged more than 1 year based on his appearnce.
Old March 4 2013, 04:44 PM   #1359
Tom
Rear Admiral

Like a poster said above, with all the cars, trucks and even motorcycles available why is is this guy hiking?
Old March 4 2013, 05:17 PM   #1360
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Like a poster said above, with all the cars, trucks and even motorcycles available why is is this guy hiking?
There are several far fetched possibilities. Perhaps he doesn't know how to drive? Not that driving takes some technical genius, but some people who never learned to do so are apprehensive about trying in my experience.
Old March 4 2013, 05:26 PM   #1361
Mojochi
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
That was me, & someone else pointed out that this might be a reason to not trust the guy. Who could be that stupid & still be alive a year later. There could've been a group waiting to harm them all.

I don't look on the ending as grimly as it came off though. I think picking up the dead guy's pack was a symbolic gesture... recognizing that he was indeed someone who needed help, & they didn't give it. Something they all have to live with, & it's a lesson learned, as was the whole episode. Shutting people out all the time can lead to worse circumstances than letting some in.

I actually think they might not be as cold about stuff like that from now on. After all, it's been a year. How long should it be before you come to terms with the fact that the people left alive are such for a reason, & it's probably best that you find out about them one way or the other?
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:39 PM   #1362
Whettestone
Captain

"CLEAR" SUCKED

"Clear" SUCKED.

I don't understand people claiming "Clear" was "the best episode yet". It was so full of problems.

Rick and Michonne essentially murdered the Hitchhiker. Michonne's ugly cat was more important that that man's life. And do you believe you will ever see that crap cat again?

They already had baby cribs at the daycare center where Darryl and Maggie got the baby formula the day the baby was born. They chose not to get one when they were already there (probably more than once) and was closer to the prison.

Morgan wanted to clear the entire world of Walkers, yet kept the local Grille restaurant one block away fully occupied with 10 Walkers and with an unlocked door? The back door was unlocked too, as that's how Michonne went back in to get her gay cat statue which she just whipped out of nowhere.

Didn't Merle say the Governor probably had snipers on every road out of the prison to pluck them off when they tried to leave?

They go all that way to find the police station locker room empty, but they don't bother to look in the one dozen bullet boxes scattered all over the floor? Or the desk drawers?

The hitchhiker is carrying a cooking skillet hanging off his backpack? Doesn't that indicate he was carrying food which they said at the prison they were running out of the previous episode? I saw it. The three of them didn't?

How could they be running out of food at the prison when they had wall-to-wall shelves full of food just one month earlier?

Morgan murdered innocent people to hoard their guns. Merle murders. The Governor murders. Michonne murders. Shane murders. Rick murders. Maggie murdered Hayley the teenage girl when they rescued Darryl and Merle from the Arena. Carl shoots Morgan now. You're running out of characters to like.

They said they need all the guns at the police station but appear to only take one bag from Morgan.

Michonne said Carl needed a box to carry the crib so she went with them, then they carried the crib back without a box. They said they were running out of baby formula. They get the crib, but not any baby formula which was vital? As the cop, Rick didn't know a single person in the town who had a baby so they can search the house?

Unless the Axe trap was spring loaded with great pressure, just having it fall would probably only cut someone and pushed them down the stairs, yet it was covered with blood deep to the handle.

The axe was covered with bright red blood, yet anybody who ever removed an old band-aid knows old blood turns brick-red or brown. I still can't believe the FX guys keep doing "bright red" old blood. It's practically fluorescent.

Why was the axe trap all bloody but the welcome mat trap wasn't? Why didn't Rick toss the welcome matt aside so Carl wouldn't fall into it and so they wouldn't forget. Why didn't they trip the axe trap after they passed it so they wouldn't forget? How did Morgan manage to dig a square hole into the concrete sidewalk to lay the welcome mat trap with spikes?

Rick and Michonne saw the live birds in the cages in the street traps. They KNEW someone was there feeding them. They KNEW the street was occupied by a crazy person. They went in anyway.

It appears the hitchhiker may have come from the car accident, as the bodies they saw in the cars looked fresh. Which means the hitchhiker would know they just went through a town, but he goes forward to uncertainty. He had to have passed through the town anyway even if he came from elsewhere. Why didn't he grab a car from the town? And why didn't Morgan kill the hitchhiker for his backpack when he passed through? That's what Morgan does now isn't it?

Michonne had a crossbow when they loaded the car at the end (probably for Darryl). I wished they showed her picking it up, because now Darryl will have TWO crossbows and it will confuse people.

When Morgan was firing on them from the rooftop, did he tell them to drop their guns and their.... shoes?

How did Michonne teleport in and out of buildings and rooftops?

I still don't understand why they aren't plucking off the Walkers through the prison fence with their sword and knives. Given time, they would take out half of them without a shot fired.

Morgan said he and his son drove for days and/or weeks to Atlanta. But he said his son was killed by his Walker Wife when they were in a house. This means Morgan took off on the road to Atlanta... for days and/or weeks... and then turned around and went back to the town again. Otherwise it means his Walker Wife (Stalker Wife) followed them on foot to Atlanta.

What are the odds that it was Morgan's Walker-Stalker Wife would find their son? Didn't Morgan bother to close the door to the houses they were searching?

Did Morgan say he didn't turn on the walky talky for days? And you blame Rick for not being there when you finally bother to listen - when you knew Rick would have been in a city hours away?

Rick knew he shot that cop Walker in the first episode outside the police station through the fence. He didn't bother to look to see if the body was still their with bullets and a gun?

Rick knew the Bars had guns behind the counters. I thought of that back in season two when Rick and Glenn followed Hershel to the bar where Rick had the shootout with those two guys and ended up with Randall. Even then they never looked behind the bar. Every movie that has a bar fight has a bar owner with his gun.

Rick found out from Morgan's map that his house burned down. But every cop would have guns and/or bullets. What about Shane's house? Rick knew that Walker Cop through the fence in Episode One was turned so probably never made it back to his own house. All Rick needed to do was get a phone book. He knew the names of his co-workers.

Rick also said he signed the gun permits for the Bar Owners. Which means you have a whole list of Gun Owners in that Police Station. Go get it. It would also have their addresses and what types of guns and ammunition you're looking for.

Morgan scrawled on the wall a bunch of names of people who turned. So Morgan was with other people in this town this whole time who slowly got wiped out? And you don't mention this? If Morgan was alone this whole time, how did he know the people who got turned and where they turned?

There would be pictures of Carl's mother in their grandparents house. Both of them. They probably didn't live there but they did live somewhere.

I'm sure some of these could be explained. I'm also sure there are more problems with this episode I haven't covered yet. "Clear" had a LOT of problems. And after a year away from the TrekBBS, I came back just to vent this.
Whettestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:49 PM   #1363
wissaboo
Captain

90% of those are just silly or don't matter in the sligtest . Seriously, he had afrying pan sohe must have had food? Do people throw out the frying pan when they need groceries?
Old March 4 2013, 05:50 PM   #1364
Mojochi
Commodore

To the other posters point though, it's clear that Carl has aged more than 1 year based on his appearance.
Honestly, I think they got lucky on casting, because apart from needing a bath & haircut the kid don't look that much different to me. Certainly something they could pass off as being a year's worth of growth & harsh living conditions. I do agree that a leap forward is needed for him to remain in the cast next season though

Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 05:54 PM   #1365
wissaboo
Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
To the other posters point though, it's clear that Carl has aged more than 1 year based on his appearance.
Honestly, I think they got lucky on casting, because apart from needing a bath & haircut the kid don't look that much different to me. Certainly something they could pass off as being a year's worth of growth & harsh living conditions. I do agree that a leap forward is needed for him to remain in the cast next season though

or we could just ignore it and quit nitpicking. It's the nature of tv. Whaddya gonna do?