TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 1 2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Muldfeld
Ensign

Re: your top five (low five?) least favourite characters

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Alexander's change in perspective was annoying, especially seeing as it wasn't actually necessary; the story of Sons and Daughters wasn't dependent on Alexander having a change of heart. It's wartime, and a rather unambiguous war at that, where the stakes are massive - either defend yourself against the Dominion, or become vassals of the Founders. The idea that Alexander might enlist for the duration of the war therefore makes sense; they didn't have to make his earlier character arc pointless by seeming to suggest that he now wants to be a warrior after all.

He could easily have told Worf: "I still have no intention of being a "good Klingon" and I still don't care for fitting into your culture - I'm just here because I'm helping with the war effort, and this is a just war. That's all".
Great point. Although I liked the Dukat/Ziyal/Kira storyline, I blame that episode's drop in quality in that 7 episode arc -- as I do the Section 31/Bashir/Obrien episode in the final 10 episode arc -- on the poor writing of David Weddle and Bradley Thompson. Just awful writers. Even on BSG, I liked their work least -- until Jane Espenson's arrival.
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Muldfeld
Ensign

DS9forever wrote: View Post
^ Alexander was never interesting or moving, especially on TNG.
I guess it's because I was a tween or whatever when Alexander's arc on TNG was taken more seriously, but, at the least, it was interesting to have Worf deal with this and have a Klingon who wasn't a warmonger.
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:47 PM   #18
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

someone mentioned that blasted musical hologram... now he annoyed me so much I literally forgot all about him! He needs to go on my list... a lot worse than Winn. (Mainly because the character seemed to be such an strange add-on, nothing to do with the rest of the show, and I hate the kind of syrupy music he sings...

Actually I will say I was very fond of Winn in that every time she appeared on screen I wanted to strangle her - great acting!

Ezri I sort of liked but she could simply never replace Jadzia.

Joran was great in the second episode he appeared! The second actor really gave him the kind of understated menace that could make you believe he'd killed in cold blood.

Oh, and I really didn't like the Female Founder... I'll have to extend my list...
Old March 4 2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

1. O'Brien. Yes I can't stand him at all. There's just something about him that made me groan with frustration every time it was an O'Brien centric episode

2. Kieko.

3. Vic Fontaine. (Glad to see I'm not the only one that disliked him)

4. Mirror Universe Kira (and regular Kira too, but she wasn't as bad as her alternate persona)

5. Zek. Love the actor that played him, just couldn't get past how cartoonish he was.
Old March 4 2013, 10:52 PM   #20
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Gone4aDuck wrote: View Post
DS9forever wrote: View Post
^ Alexander was never interesting or moving, especially on TNG.
I can't remember any kid on any Star Trek that didn't need a good slap.
Nog was the best because he actually became someone. Jake was obnoxious in later seasons, always laughing and making jokes. Wesley was incredibly naive and sugary. Charlie X was okay, I guess. But those kids in And the Children Shall Lead? Slap-worthy.
Old March 5 2013, 04:51 AM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
Joran was great in the second episode he appeared! The second actor really gave him the kind of understated menace that could make you believe he'd killed in cold blood.
By 'The second episode he appeared' I pray you mean when he inhabited Sisko. If you mean that Ezri 'Vulcan murder' fiasco, that episode is 'Worst of series' bad.

Right up from the first scene where they're being so nice to this random stranger you know minutes in advance he's about to die, you know the episode is going to be 'Hammer on head' cheesy. Then the rest of the episode plays out like the worst writer on the Criminal Minds staff wrote a Silence of the Lambs sequel. Not only is there a Vulcan who believes that killing people on the basis of seeing pictures that express emotion is 'The logical thing to do', Joran somehow figures out he's a Vulcan simply based on seeing these pictures.

Every shot, every line of dialog, and every slice of plot logic in that episode is facepalm-vomitrocious. He seems less like a cold blooded killer, and more like the bad guy on a bad crime procedural.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote