Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 3 2013, 07:59 PM   #31
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus
Re: who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

Timo wrote: View Post
why doesn't she wear the uniform?
For all we know, she does. That jumpsuit never changed much, so perhaps it was the official Counselor's uniform?
Captain Jellico would disagree with you.
Old March 3 2013, 08:53 PM   #32
marksound
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Roddenberry originally wanted to Deanna to have three breasts, and he had to be convinced that it was a stupid idea. We dodged a bullet!
She had a third boob.

His name was Will Riker.
We have a winner!
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 08:57 PM   #33
Mojochi
Commodore

Squiggy wrote: View Post
why doesn't she wear the uniform?
For all we know, she does. That jumpsuit never changed much, so perhaps it was the official Counselor's uniform?
Jellico said "Standard" uniform. It is possible that her outfit could have been a set of professional attire classified as a nonstandard uniform. No way of knowing that
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Mykl
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Mykl

From a TV context, it would have looked boring with everyone in the same costume. Only Picard & Riker wore a 'standard' without some accessories. Data was yellow, Geordi has his VISOR, etc. Even that changed with Picard's 'casual wear'. What struck me as funny was when I met Marina Sirtis in person at a convention during TNG's run, it was obvious that the costume was actually not flattering to her. It was a rare case of seeing a TV actor in person and going "Wow! They are so much better looking than on the show!" And she didn't look bad in any of those silly wardrobe choices.

But it is fun to create a reason why, isn't it. And yeah, Riker was the 3rd boob.
Old March 4 2013, 12:46 AM   #35
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Jellico said "Standard" uniform. It is possible that her outfit could have been a set of professional attire classified as a nonstandard uniform. No way of knowing that
What the hell is a "nonstandard uniform"?
Old March 4 2013, 12:50 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A non-uniform uniform.
Old March 4 2013, 01:03 AM   #37
Dream
Admiral

My problem with the catsuit was that it looked like Troi was always dressed to go out clubbing. Totally inappropriate, especially with that cleavage and neckline!

I wouldn't be surprised if Marina Sirtis was always being asked in the Trek conventions by fans about when she would finally get her own uniform.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 01:10 AM   #38
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
A non-uniform uniform.
So...clothes.
Old March 4 2013, 01:19 AM   #39
yousirname
Commander

Dress uniform, for one thing.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 11:23 AM   #40
Lance
Commodore

A non-uniform uniform.
So...clothes.
I like to think of a non-uniform uniform being a lack of clothes.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:30 PM   #41
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

Now THAT I wouldn't have minded at all...!
Old March 4 2013, 08:29 PM   #42
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

Mykl wrote: View Post
Geordi has his VISOR, etc.
I always thought it would have been cool if we saw another random character who wore a VISOR at some point. It also would've been fun to see another character in the Troi catsuit.
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 09:43 PM   #43
t_smitts
Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake
Troi in a miniskirt is NEVER a mistake.
I second this, 110% Would've been the best of worlds, being clearly a Starfleet uniform, while cover that sex appeal quota. (Ditch the perm, though).

I remember it didn't really bother me much when the show was new. It was noticeable of course, but it just seemed that Picard had offered leeway on his bridge, Wesley's stupid gray 'acting' ensign jumpsuit, Beverly ambling about in an ugly green lab coat, Worf wrapped in a tank tread, & Picard himself experimenting with different fashions, the most laughable of which was his puffy vinyl shoulder pads

Lest we forget, Troi spent most of season one in a gray jumpsuit & an updo. It was far less casual looking than the maroon & lavender suits, but ugly as hell. Heck sometimes you'd see her on the bridge in the teal dress with the oblong neckline

That's why it always struck me as pure hypocrisy for Riker to reprimand Ro for wearing an earring like a stodgy douchebag

I remember watching that scene & thinking "Dress code? On that ship? Are you shitting me?"

It does annoy me a bit in hindsight, but that has more to do with the fact that it became a meme with every Trek show to follow, that the bridge crew had to have someone without a standard Starfleet uniform. That's when it really became ridiculous
They never did explain why Worf's allowed to wear that baldric, did they?

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Putting Troi in a standard uniform was a good move. The miniskirt and jumpsuits weren't flattering. The dress was better for her build but was inappropriate for bridge duty.
Miniskirt not flattering? What show were YOU watching???

FFunctionalData wrote: View Post
Roddenberry originally wanted to Deanna to have three breasts, and he had to be convinced that it was a stupid idea. We dodged a bullet!
No

We lost the best idea ever.
Check out Total Recall if that's your thing.

Mykl wrote: View Post
From a TV context, it would have looked boring with everyone in the same costume. Only Picard & Riker wore a 'standard' without some accessories. Data was yellow, Geordi has his VISOR, etc. Even that changed with Picard's 'casual wear'. What struck me as funny was when I met Marina Sirtis in person at a convention during TNG's run, it was obvious that the costume was actually not flattering to her. It was a rare case of seeing a TV actor in person and going "Wow! They are so much better looking than on the show!" And she didn't look bad in any of those silly wardrobe choices.

But it is fun to create a reason why, isn't it. And yeah, Riker was the 3rd boob.
Geordi's VISOR isn't an "acessory". That's like calling a wheelchair or a cochlear implant an "accessory".

Calling Data's yellow skin an "accessory" is even more ridiculous.

Tasha didn't have anything, BTW. And it does make sense for a doctor to have some sort of lab coat.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 03:52 AM   #44
Mojochi
Commodore

Possibly the opposite of a standard uniform. One can assume that since it was necessary to put the word "Standard" in front of the word "Uniform" that alternatives might exist, or he could have just said "I'd appreciate it if you'd wear a uniform while on duty"
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 06:02 AM   #45
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake
Troi in a miniskirt is NEVER a mistake.
Personally, I’m more taken with the plunging neckline in the remainder of S1 than the miniskirt in the pilot. As it is said, different strokes for different folks.

I remember it didn't really bother me much when the show was new. It was noticeable of course, but it just seemed that Picard had offered leeway on his bridge, Wesley's stupid gray 'acting' ensign jumpsuit, Beverly ambling about in an ugly green lab coat, Worf wrapped in a tank tread, & Picard himself experimenting with different fashions, the most laughable of which was his puffy vinyl shoulder pads
Wesley’s gray jumpsuit of S2-S3 is rather attractive, IMO. It’s the rainbow sweater of S1 that really looks stupid.

Lest we forget, Troi spent most of season one in a gray jumpsuit & an updo. It was far less casual looking than the maroon & lavender suits, but ugly as hell.
“Ugly as hell”? I love Marina Sirtis in that outfit!

I'm surprised he didn't recycle the dual belly-buttons from Genesis II.

(The same way he lifted Data from The Questor Tapes and repurposed Decker and Ilia as Riker and Troi.)
I think Data was also inspired in large part by Xon from Star Trek: Phase II.

A non-uniform uniform.
So...clothes.
I like to think of a non-uniform uniform being a lack of clothes.
Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
Now THAT I wouldn't have minded at all...!
Roddenberry was a man before his time. If he were living today and creating a series for Showtime or Starz, I’m sure we’d be treated to lots of boobies and merkins.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote